RV Sizes for newbies

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceejay

Reaction score
What is a good RV size for a newbie .... where is the tipping point for turning , maneuvering ... I had heard and read about the rear swing .. oh that sounds like an interesting dance ...  :blush: .  Going to look at RVs tomorrow ...  thank you

You'll get a lot of different opinions on the best RV size but when making a decision it's important to consider where you'll be camping and how you like to travel. If you're planning on boondocking most of the time get the smallest that you are still comfortable living in. If you want to visit cities go small too. If you plan on staying put in one spot for any length of time you'll probably want more room. A trailer might be better than a motorhome if you stay put but if you do get a motorhome you'll want to tow a car for everyday running around.

Most motorhomes have a bedroom which adds additional length and, in my opinion, is not necessary. If you don't mind sleeping in a cabover bed or a pull out couch you'll have more usable living space in a smaller motorhome.

Wheelbase will affect the turning radius so a short wheelbase will get you tighter turns but a longer overhang to swing out and hit things.

Since you're planning on going to look at RVs tomorrow, look at all different types and sizes. Go through the motions of daily living, including laying on the bed, watching TV, cooking on the stove, getting in the shower and sitting on the toilet with the door closed. Pay attention to the floor plans to discover which ones are more comfortable for you.

Class Bs are a good size for a single person, a bit crowded for two. Class Cs come in all lengths but the shorter ones, 23 - 26' are the most versatile. Some manufactures have started making short class As too so if any are available look at them too.

tonyandkaren said:
thank you ... I am coming out of a large house so all seem small .. lol .. I will fallow your advice and sit on all toilets tomorrow ... think my biggest issue is going to be kitchen space .. I do enjoy cooking ... 

I have had a number of different sized RVs........If it was just me, a truck camper would be ideal....but since its me and the OWMBO (wife)....the 24ft 5th wheel is a nice size

You'll have to be more specific. Do you want a permanent bed? What about in the bathroom, wet bath or separate shower area or bathtub? What will you be able to tow as far as weights go? Is it a travel trailer, 5th wheel, van camper or motorhome that we are talking about? What is your budget and will you be buying new or used?

Snow Gypsy said:
You'll have to be more specific.  Do you want a permanent bed?  What about in the bathroom, wet bath or separate shower area or bathtub?  What will you be able to tow as far as weights go?  Is it a travel trailer, 5th wheel, van camper or motorhome that we are talking about?  What is your budget and will you be buying new or usea 
a bed, bath and kitchen would be a good start.. and leaning toward motorized vehicle vs tow-able ... so B,C or A ... yet to be determined til I see how they fit ...

I recently downsized from a 4 BR house, into a 32 ft class A RV (hubby, me, 2 kitties) and I still think it is HUGE.
I wanted a smaller one, but we got a good deal on this one, so we jumped on it.
You'll probably need a lot less than you think. Once you start getting rid of stuff, you will become hooked on letting go of things.
I just could not wait to get out of the house and away from all the stuff holding me back....

We have no slides and such, but the space feels huge to me.
I also cook every day and with not much difference than what I used to cook in the house.

A few considerations that have been mentioned before were really good suggestions.
Here's a few more questions to ask yourself, when looking at RVs.
Is it just you? Pets? SO?
Do you want a permanent bed?
Are you ok with turning a table/sofa other structure into your bed and vice versa on a daily basis?
Do you want/need a full bathroom?
Are you planning on boondocking mostly or rarely?
Do you need be able to stand upright?

I'd suggest the smallest Class C you can find. 18 foot would be my first choice, 20 the second, 22 the third, and so on.

Why, you'll get the basic comfort you want but easiest driving, best MPG, better reliabiity, fit in most parking lots. Oddly, the small one will be hardest to find.

As far as the overhead bunks in Class C's go, ask yourself this:  Would you really want to climb up and down into that if you were sick with the flu, or you had a leg in a cast?

Youll need to answer some questions before we can fully help. Definitely get in some and see how you like it/what you hate

akrvbob said:
I'd suggest the smallest Class C you can find. 18 foot would be my first choice, 20 the second, 22 the third, and so on.

Why, you'll get the basic comfort you want but easiest driving, best MPG, better reliabiity, fit in most parking lots. Oddly, the small one will be hardest to find.

thanks Bob ... you did a great interview with a gal that had a class C with the kitchen in the back that looked real homey ... I will look at the smaller ones ..  hugs to your furry friend ....

Optimistic Paranoid said:
As far as the overhead bunks in Class C's go, ask yourself this:  Would you really want to climb up and down into that if you were sick with the flu, or you had a leg in a cast?

I have asked myself that question ... and the answer is no ...   thanks .. have a great day

With the Class C, many don't have an upper bed but storage/entertainment area with used units more likely to have that than the bunk, since many families seek the bunk one out. Class C, smaller ones, are hard to find. We looked for awhile and gave up. Be wary of the 29' and longer as there are many of those on the market, and I have heard that they do not handle well which is why I suspect many are on the market with lower miles. Class A's are a best buy right now because the market is flooded with them.

Snow Gypsy said:
With the Class C, many don't have an upper bed but storage/entertainment area with used units more likely to have that than the bunk, since many families seek the bunk one out.  Class C, smaller ones, are hard to find.  We looked for awhile and gave up.  Be wary of the 29' and longer as there are many of those on the market, and I have heard that they do not handle well which is why I suspect many are on the market with lower miles.  Class A's are a best buy right now because the market is flooded with them.

Absolutely correct when talking 29' or longer class C. crawl underneath and take note of how they extend the butt end to accommodate the extra length. Scary. I had one of my class C's actually sag and tear welds. (in the interest of truth, I did haul a trailer with it). You will also find class A's are built on a ladder frame (truck) and are infinitely stronger. All good advice that I've seen in this post.

More information equals better advice like how many people or pets travel with you? How big, tall and how physically able are they and you. What is your budget? Will you boondock or be in a park mostly? Urban or waste lands? Belong to a gym? How long will you stay in one place? I know all these things can be overwhelming but write them down think about them and make your best guess. Try to keep enough money in reserve so you can make changes if you guess wrong!

bullfrog said:
More information equals better advice like how many people or pets travel with you? How big, tall and how physically able are they and you.  What is your budget?  Will you boondock or be in a park mostly?  Urban or waste lands?  Belong to a gym?  How long will you stay in one place?  I know all these things can be overwhelming but write them down think about them and make your best guess.  Try to keep enough money in reserve so you can make changes if you guess wrong!

thank you ... I have thought about all this ... and since I am new to all this ... I am a gal that likes options .. so would like to add solar so I can boondock ... also plan on staying in parks.,, state, county, national etc.  I do belong to a gym .... I will stay in one place til I think it is time to move on ... Do not want to move fast like a rabbit ... like to travel more like a slow turtle.  Monthly budget wise ... I have a steady monthly stream of $2300... but would like to stay under $1000 mo.  thought I would pay for solar and extra perk with stock income which is extra income  .. since  I do stock trade ... ergo .. internet access is important.  Not a day trader .. more of a trend trader ... 

thanks for questions ... makes me think of things ...

Most National Parks were designed with campsites no longer than 28'. Some beaches will not allow you on them if you are over 28'. Smallest camping spots I have seen are in Natural Bridges National Park which I believe were under 20'. Short is better. Almost all these Parks have 14 day limits. How much solar do you need? If a freezer or microwave then most likely large permanent solar panels and batteries will need to be mounted on or in racks and roof which requires space. Bob Wells and several others here do this in extended vans, Having a gym membership makes a bathroom optional if you stay close enough to town and most parks do also. Try to figure out how small you can go. Cargo trailers can be built out and pulled by larger vans or most class C campers if more room is required. But bigger vehicles usually require more maintenance and money, but lately I have seen a 22' class A's cheaper than vans, but mostly it depends on how much you can do yourself and how much more you want to hold in emergency repair fund. Hope this helps!

bullfrog said:
Most National Parks were designed with campsites no longer than 28'.  Some beaches will not allow you on them if you are over 28'.  Smallest camping spots I have seen are in Natural Bridges National Park which I believe were under 20'.  Short is better.  Almost all these Parks have 14 day limits.  How much solar do you need?  If a freezer or microwave then most likely large permanent solar panels and batteries will need to be mounted on or in racks and roof which requires space.  Bob Wells and several others here do this in extended vans,  Having a gym membership makes a bathroom optional if you stay close enough to town and most parks do also.  Try to figure out how small you can go.  Cargo trailers can be built out and pulled by larger vans or most class C campers if more room is required.  But bigger vehicles usually require more maintenance and money, but lately I have seen a 22' class A's cheaper than vans, but mostly it depends on how much you can do yourself and how much more you want to hold in emergency repair fund.  Hope this helps!

thank you for the info ... I do not know how much solar I will need .. have been told as much as you can afford the better.  once I get a rig .. be nice to go to one of those solar build out camps I have seen on Utube.  I am sure when the time comes I can ask for referrals to some of the members ... I want to be part of the install so I can understand it ... from what I have read the most expensive part are the batteries to store what the panels collect.  I know I want the ones that require less maintenance ...

Personally i think a B+ is the perfect size as far as motorized rvs go. Basically a small class C.

This vid they show examples of b, b+, and c