RV Sizes for newbies

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I agree with VanLifeCrisis, B+ would be the way I'd go, if I had the wherewithal

Go look at mohos. If you walk into one and it's too small, then it's too small.

Over forty years of RV'ing in just about every kind of RV imaginable, I've found 25' of living space is about perfect... in a trailer it's not too long to get in anywhere, it's as easy to tow as a 17', yet has adequate living space for full-timing. In a moho, consider the 'cab' length and subtract that from the over-all space to get to your 25' of living space.

I am fortunate in that I have a class B for solo travel and a 32' Super-C for travel with my wife (there are links to photos in my signature.) My Cavaliers and I make the 19' B-van work quite nicely when I'm out in it with them (I've been on the road for nearly three weeks with one or two to go yet before I head home.) When I go with my wife, though, the rear island Queen bed with the sleep number inflatable mattress is a really nice luxury.

It really is all about how you intend to travel, how much 'stuff' YOU find 'necessary' and how comfortable you are with driving various sizes of units.

Happy hunting!

Ceejay,

This is a really tough one!  You can make yourself cuckoo over the many choices.  Each has advantages and disadvantages.  My advice is "Know yourself."

Years ago, I thought setting up a tent and all that goes with that was fun.  The popup that came next seemed so easy in comparison!  And the travel trailer after that was a cinch.  But when the hitching up became a problem because of my aging (late) husband's increasing disabilities, the Class A seemed the answer. And I was cooking real meals and wanted a good kitchen.  After he died, that was just too much for me and the little fur babies, so I switched to a home built camper van.  With a Coleman stove and an ice chest -- cooking became heating water.  And a fresh water tank that needed attention became gallon jugs that required only filling.  Loved it, except it was a low top and after a while, that became an issue for me.  And the way you use it changes over time.  I needed to stay in one place so bought a 15 ft travel trailer, came off the road, parked in an RV park with it. Things continued to change and for three plus years have been in a fifth wheel.  More change has recently arrived, and now I have acquired a Class B and will soon be back out there.

My husband liked to stay at RV parks with full hookups; I liked boondocking. We alternated back and forth.  He liked Interstates. I liked back roads.  He liked tinkering and complicated systems. I wanted to keep things simple, easy to use. 

So think about what you like, how you are, and start from there.  And know that as life changes, so will your needs and wants.

Good Luck and Best Wishes!

My cousin has a mid-2000's Ford Jayco 19' I wouldn't mind owning. Some Walmarts limit the size of RVs over 20'. A lot has to do with the RVs interior foot print; some are better than others, much like a home. You will know.

OK ... TADA... after driving the big ones I really liked because of all the nice house conveniences... but as a newbie having to learn to drive it and dealing with tail swings ... I listened to many of you and I put a down payment on a little 2002 R-Vision Trail-Lite ... it is small but I fell in love with the wood headliner .. and floors . I would post a pic but do not know how

Stargazer said:
Ceejay,

This is a really tough one!  You can make yourself cuckoo over the many choices.  Each has advantages and disadvantages.  My advice is "Know yourself."

Years ago, I thought setting up a tent and all that goes with that was fun.  The popup that came next seemed so easy in comparison!  And the travel trailer after that was a cinch.  But when the hitching up became a problem because of my aging (late) husband's increasing disabilities, the Class A seemed the answer. And I was cooking real meals and wanted a good kitchen.  After he died, that was just too much for me and the little fur babies, so I switched to a home built camper van.  With a Coleman stove and an ice chest -- cooking became heating water.  And a fresh water tank that needed attention became gallon jugs that required only filling.  Loved it, except it was a low top and after a while, that became an issue for me.  And the way you use it changes over time.  I needed to stay in one place so bought a 15 ft travel trailer, came off the road, parked in an RV park with it. Things continued to change and for three plus years have been in a fifth wheel.  More change has recently arrived, and now I have acquired a Class B and will soon be back out there.

My husband liked to stay at RV parks with full hookups; I liked boondocking. We alternated back and forth.  He liked Interstates. I liked back roads.  He liked tinkering and complicated systems. I wanted to keep things simple, easy to use. 

So think about what you like, how you are, and start from there.  And know that as life changes, so will your needs and wants.

Good Luck and Best Wishes!

thank you .... I hope we meet on the road and share a cup of coffee some time ..... best to you

ceejay said:
OK ... TADA... after driving the big ones I really liked because of all the nice house conveniences... but as a newbie having to learn to drive it and dealing with tail swings ... I listened to many of you and I put a down payment on a little 2002 R-Vision Trail-Lite ... it is small but I fell in love with the wood headliner .. and floors . I would post a pic but do not know how
they make them in multiple class, which did you go with b, c, trailer?

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

VanLifeCrisis said:
they make them in multiple class, which did you go with b, c, trailer?

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

think it is a B+

Congrats! How refreshing to see someone decide to get a rig, then just do it!

I would post a pic if I knew how ... funny how the rig is nothing as I had planned ... planned nice bedroom, bath and kitchen.. wanted a nice big house with wheels .. etc .. but did not find one with a little man in the glove compartment that came out when it was time to drive, back it up or empty the tanks ... lol ... then decided small easy to drive was more important for me ...

Now my next question .. it does not have backup camera etc ... so need advice about best camera system for the money with back up and side views etc. Advice would be most appreciated and who installs those things .. Well looks like my shopping experiences are going to change ... be shopping and spending money on the little RV instead of me. Maybe I will just plan on buying it something every month... also got to come up with a good name for the little fella ...

thank you all ... have a great day and weekend ...

tonyandkaren said:
Congratulations! From the google search I did they look like they're well made and have great floor plans. Have fun!

mine has no dedicated bed and has a wet bath ... who would have thunk it ... lol .. not what I thought I would have bought ...  looks like a little surfer rig ... inside and out .. guess it brought out the former little surfer and Woodstock gal in me ...  yes I did go to Woodstock .. lol ...

ceejay said:
Now my next question .. it does not have backup camera etc ... so need advice about best camera system for the money  with back up and side views etc.  Advice would be most appreciated and who installs those things .. Well looks like my shopping experiences are going to change ... be shopping and spending money on  the little RV instead of me.  Maybe I will just plan on buying it something every month... also got to come up with a good name for the little fella ...

thank you all ... have a great day and weekend ...

Congratulations on your purchase; I too will be looking forward to seeing pictures. In order to post pictures go to "Preview Post" and it will bring up the "Advanced Reply/Editing" page. Just below the "Post Reply" box there is a way to Browse and attach attachments like pictures.

I am doing the same thing with my last few months and paychecks at work before May 6th. Each paycheck purchases either one big thing or several small things, with about 1/3 of the money dedicated towards that and the rest going to my bills and into savings. Our local tire store just had a big sale and although I hadn't planned on buying tires just yet it was too good a deal to not take advantage of since I will need to get them by August anyway...so that was my February RV-life purchase!

DuneElliot said:
Congratulations on your purchase; I too will be looking forward to seeing pictures. In order to post pictures go to "Preview Post" and it will bring up the "Advanced Reply/Editing" page. Just below the "Post Reply" box there is a way to Browse and attach attachments like pictures.

I am doing the same thing with my last few months and paychecks at work before May 6th. Each paycheck purchases either one big thing or several small things, with about 1/3 of the money dedicated towards that and the rest going to my bills and into savings. Our local tire store just had a big sale and although I hadn't planned on buying tires just yet it was too good a deal to not take advantage of since I will need to get them by August anyway...so that was my February RV-life purchase!

thank you ... so glad to see a young-in enjoying themselves ... I did also when younger ... now time to do it again ...

OK here is my new fella ... have to come up with a name for him ... suggestions appreciated ...  closing the deal next week ...

Attachments

• travel lite side.jpg
    travel lite side.jpg
    128.1 KB
ceejay said:
OK here is my new fella ... have to come up with a name for him ... suggestions appreciated ...  closing the deal next week ...

and inside overview

Attachments

• trail lite inside.jpg
    trail lite inside.jpg
    135.4 KB