• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Rv deskinning?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aunt Nell

Reaction score
Not sure this is the right place to put this. Any handyman out there? I do have some money to put into it, but not $15,000! I am based out of Kansas, but driving someplace maybe worthwhile, and I don't need to live in it while it's being fixed. If no one wants to take it on, any good videos of the process? I know a good mechanic/general handyman, but he doesn't know rv's.

I have a 1976 Dodge Eldorado Sportsman with a 440 in it. It's a 22 foot class C. Had a wind storm damage the roof and have evidence of wood rot other places. The engine is great, it just got 4 new tires and a welded cargo carrier on the bumper. I love the layout, I have twice the counter space of rv's twice my size. I thought I should get it deskinned and all the wood checked out. Called two places here in Kansas and it sounded like it would be upwards of $15,000. What are your suggestions? Maybe it would be worth driving it to Texas, NM, or AZ if there is a cheaper place down there?

let me get this straight. you want to remove all the skin, repair any wood rot, and reassemble. if so that's a huge job and the possibility of it being a can of worms is good. I have done sections at a time to repair rot. I have a thread on here somewhere with pictures but the whole RV, no thanks. you must really love this RV. highdesertranger

I just don't know. It could be bad, could be fairly ok. Around the bottom of the rv door needs repaired, and where the ladder attaches to the roof has some rot. I do think all the seals need redone.

A couple of members here have taken on major repairs of Class C motor homes and they spent months and in one case years repairing water damage. It was expensive even though they were doing all the labor and only paying for materials. It is very labor intensive as sealant has to be removed after the panels are removed without damaging them, them many fastners and framing cann't be removed without damaging interior panels. It is actually harder to repair than to build new. Water runs down hill and ends up rotting floor structure which holds up the walls. I have seen several of these projects end up being made into flatbed trucks because there just wasn't enough of a good base to build on. One fellow made a flatbed and set a truck camper on it! The reason you don't see many on the road is it is cheaper to get a newer one than than fix an old one with water damage. A lot of people try but very seldom suceed. As you have found and the people that gave you estimates know this most likely will get really expensive beyond any reasonable hope of completion.

A flatbed with a truck camper is the eventual plan that I have for my 1989 Tioga E350 460 ci.
Solid running gear, lousy overweight house.
For now I am repairing the roof seam sealant that allowed the recent rain to pour in. Attempting anything deeper would be wasted effort.

Use the appliances, fittings and tanks and build a water tight box on the back with foam and poor man's fiberglass!

Latest posts