Running a portabel generator in the rain.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
I have ordered a portable inverter generator ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermaid-48-Gallon-Action-Packer/10569596 ) for my Runaway camper. I would need this to power my ac, microwave, electric heater, or any other electrical accessories needed to operate, and maybe charge a deep cycle battery at the same time.
I would want to only operate the gen away from the camper, say about 15 or 20 feet or more. Is it safe to run it while it is raining or would it do damage to the unit by sucking in the water through the cooling vents and maybe the carburetor. I would have to run a heavy duty cord to it also. This could pose a safety hazard. Any ideas of how to do all this safely and not do harm to the generator?

Your link is for a Rubbermaid storage box.

As far as the generator:  The people I have seen using a portable in the rain have had then under one corner of their motorhome or camper.  Others here with specific experience with them can tell you more.

In regards to the power cords. I used to wrap a grocery store plastic bag around my connections to keep rain out and also found something - a rock, piece of wood, tote, anything - to keep the connections up off the ground. Obviously you need something that the water isn't going to pond on.

Whether or not the generator can deal with the weather will depend on the generator itself.

you are not going to be able to run ac off that generator. I don't know about that generator but on our Honda we have to run it in the rain a lot. well not a lot but I wish it was a lot. to get to the point we run ours in the rain. highdesertranger

I personally would not run in rain,  I would build an enclosure on front, properly vented and run that way, and won't have to worry about rain.  I have done this a couple of times, once on a hitch hauler and once when I built a 4 x 8 on a harbour freight trailer, worked great. plus in good weather you could still move it away if noise bothers you, from 15 feet away I could not really hear mine. of course I got old ears, LOL  

I used to have to run my Honda generator in the rain...when you're running a booth at an art show, you can't just shut down your power cause it's raining out unless it's raining so hard all the customers go home...sigh.

For light to medium rain, this works:

First, you made sure that the generator wasn't sitting on the ground...spare 1 x 12's took care of this. Then I took a couple of spare totes and by leaning them against each other, formed a higher than the generator wall around the generator. You don't want them touching the genie, just leaning against each other. Then throw a tarp over top for a roof. You don't want to block the whole thing in, the generator needs air and the exhaust needs a way out...all you're trying to do is keep the rain off.

This and making sure your cord couplings aren't on the ground.

For really heavy rain, give up, put the generator away, stay inside and stay dry... :)

I've got a friend that bought an el cheapo tube tent and cut it half to create about a 3 foot long tent for his generator. Seems to work well for him.

wow tube tent, a blast from the past. I haven't seen one of those in years. highdesertranger

:p
Really?  I wear my 1970's tube top every time i go to Walmart!

Of course I have to use my rainbow-colored-suspenders to keep the tube top from creeping-up my massive & hairy beer-belly.  
:p

ok ok, i feel better now that i got a stupid joke out of my system.  
we now return you to your regularly schedule programming.