Sportsman 1000i runs Midea 5000 BTU AC

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotorVation

Reaction score
I've had the Sportsman 1000i for a few years but it still has low hours on it. I bought a Midea 5000 BTU from Walmart. It was delivered yesterday.

Midea AC WallyWorld

Anyway, I'm practically at sea level in Florida, so no thin air problems.

The Sportsman runs the AC no problem. My kill a watt meter is telling me the AC is pulling in between 420-430 watts on high cool. I tried running the generator on economy mode and it did that too. When the compressor cycled on, it did bog down for a couple seconds on economy but it didn't shut down.

I ordered a Supro hard start capacitor and am going to install that on the AC also.

I don't expect the genny to be able to run the AC at high altitude but the Sportsman did run my battery charger/convertor (30 amp) at 7600 ft in Flagstaff.

I don't expect the generator to last forever with that large of a load on it, but then again I don't know how often I'll ask it to. A larger genny would be a better choice and if I were planning on running the AC off a genny daily, I'd get another generator.

I'll also be able to use the AC on shore power and plan on doing so daily here in Florida. It's so humid here that everything in the van is damp. I'm not living in the van right now, it's in my driveway. Last summer the humidity destroyed my sleeping bag. This will also allow me to travel/camp in Florida during the summer while I'm here.

Before I left Flagstaff in June, a friend and his wife in Vegas wanted me to come and visit but it was already in the 100's there. If I had had the AC at the time I could have plugged into his shore power. Now I have options like that open. This heat wave got me off my ass and into action.

I can see where this will be really useful by extending the time I can stay in the desert next season by only running it for a couple hours during the hottest part of the afternoon. When I left for higher altitude last spring, it was still nice at night but really hot in the afternoon

Thanks for the info. Question, what is a Supro hard start capacitor and what does it do. Thanks!

My Sportsman 800/1000 has run my Frigidaire 5000 BTU energy star A/C anywhere I have asked it to. I have never added a start capacitor.

Here's a YouTube video where the guy does several tests with the Sportsman 1000i and a hard start capacitor on the AC. It's pretty involved but he came to a few conclusions. The one that interested me was that the Sportsman will run the AC on economy mode with the hard start cap.

YouTube hard start cap