RTR Seminar Schedule 2016

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akrvbob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, l I finally got it done. This is still a tentative schedule, I'll post the final to the Gatherings page after we've gotten a chance to talk about it. 

I'm really open to and looking for your feedback!! Several things:

1) If I forgot a seminar or class we've talked about, remind me and I'll add it.

2) I'm looking for people to lead these and take my place. Leading the seminars drains me so much I can't be very social so the more I can get others to take them over, the more time I can spend with people. Email me at [email protected] if you want to lead a seminar. To be honest, I really need to know you before I will let you lead one. I'm going to get a PA system so that's one problem solved, but you have to be able to talk fast to cover all the material and lead people so we don't get bogged down in side-tracks.

3) There is room for more seminars and evening classes, so if you want to lead one let me know. For example, HDR may want to schedule evening classes to go along with the gold prospecting seminar. If you are an expert in a topic and want to do a seminar, let me know.

I've probably forgotten more things but I'm sure this will be an evolving thread so hopefully it will all get covered.

RTR-calender-2016-2.jpg

Hey Bob, I wanted to also let you know/remind you I will be doing haircuts again this year. I will do two separate days as I usually do, one a week but will have to wait for it to be a little closer to pick the days due to weather; rain, wind, etc. I just wanted to remind you. Looking forward to seeing everyone again! Thanks

Aha, I'll probably be one of the few unable to attend any weekday events since I'll be working my day job. (I'll still be there, physically, just held up somewhere in the van with my computer from 9-5.)

I'm really just coming to meet people anyway and I'm sure there will be plenty of that evenings/weekends.

KalaniStorm said:
Hey Bob, I wanted to also let you know/remind you I will be doing haircuts again this year. I will do two separate days as I usually do, one a week but will have to wait for it to be a little closer to pick the days due to weather; rain, wind, etc. I just wanted to remind you. Looking forward to seeing everyone again! Thanks

If you get a lot of requests, I did hair for 9 years ending about 10 years ago. I can help out, if you need it. :)

Any chance that the seminars will be recorded and uploaded to u-tube?

I wonder if I'll actually be able to make it to the RTR this time. Last time around I was going to try to get out there for a few days, but got sick two days before I was supposed to leave, ending my travel plans.

akrvbob said:
It's a possibility but I'm not sure.
Bob

Definitely try to get vids up!  Crippled Road Junkies from Alaska cannot negotiate the Al-Can in January to make it there. :(

This will be my first time at RTR. I appreciate that the schedule is light, usually one seminar a day. I've been to conferences of various sorts, and going to more than two events a day is exhausting! After one or two events, I'd usually just hang with friends or retreat to my room. Not even parties would attract me. K.I.S.S. is the way to go!

I'm planning to go and this will be my first RTR, though not my first experience with training/seminars/expos/etc.   Thinking of those experiences, I will throw my vote to the 'more is, if not better, then maybe more good' hat. 

I say this because for someone like me that is having to plan and work just to get out there, I would prefer to have many choices and options to learn new things, hear opinions and ideas, etc.  More bang for the gas/time buck.  If one doesn't want to attend but one event a day... then don't.  :)

Thanks for the schedule!

Paisley

Bob, if anyone is interested in seeing a high power rocket launch, our club will be flying on saturday, the 9th, about 35 miles away. I can post directions, but it is basically just off of I-10 at MM 53. It would make a good road trip.

Work Schedule Permitting, I will try to get there wednesday and stay through friday, as I have to depart to help run the launch.

A schedule even! I'm looking forward to it.

I'm a newbie, I was wondering if I could sell my art(painting) while I'm there? I want to go, I learn/understand so much better with someone telling me in person, but it would be helpful if i could try to make some money while there. Ìf anyone is interested in some beautification on the interior or exterior of their rig feel free to message me. If there is no chance of making money while there I won't be able to go. Which also brings me to the 16th, something about finding work there? What kind of work? Can anyone tell me about that? F/t, p/t? Pays hourly or on sales? Base pay? Sale or manual labor? I need funding to get my rig started. :)

I won't be there this year either, I took a commitment with the USFS to hang out and do some stuff with them and to pay off some debt, I'll be here thru spring at least.

Kozi_Kidy said:
... something about finding work there? What kind of work? Can anyone tell me about that? F/t, p/t? Pays hourly or on sales? Base pay? Sale or manual labor? ...

At the "Big Tent" there's all kind of venders selling stuff, but a few of the booths have concessionaires who are hiring RV'ers (or vandwellers) for the camping season. These concessionaires are contracted by the National Parks, National Forests, etc. to manage and run their campgrounds and sometimes other visitor services. Although some concessionaires only "pay" their employees with a site and hookups, some also provide a monthly wage based on the size of campground(s). Camp Hosts' tasks often include cleaning up after campers (bathrooms, camp sites, fire pits, etc.), collecting money, physical labor to prepare campground for the season, etc. I know several vandwellers who have worked for California Land Management. Check out their site for more information http://www.clm-services.com/ They have been at the Big Tent in years past.

You are totally welcome to sell your art here!

As far as getting a job here in Quartzsite during the RTR, I think you will be too late. They are likely hiring now and last month, by the time of the RTR they will probably be all full up.
Bob

Many of the RTR atendees will not have money to buy art.

Some of the chain stores accept job applications online like family dollar and Pilot.

Paying jobs you find at the big tent are mostly summer hosting ones, (I've worked for CLM and hoodoo) but amazon and beet harvest companies were there last year to hire for fall and christmas rush.