RTR Help exchange

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GotSmart

Reaction score
I am planning on making RTR this year. I have a lot of tools and some spare parts. I am willing to help out fixing things that need it.

I will be bringing some items I do not need, but others might.

I am needing a little help changing out my steering gear. I will have everything needed to do the job, I just do not have the upper body strength I did as a younger man.

PAYMENT: Liquid refreshment is expected. (I prefer water.) Sometimes a meal if it takes a while... ;)

Cash. Nice, but not necessary.
Food. Must be accompanied with companionship and conversation. Laughter must be included. (Non negotiable! ;) )
Barter. Can be arranged... Might include a favor to be given to a random person in the future.

From what I have been reading there are the general rules with Vandwellers. Please correct me if I am wrong.

GotSmart,

I do not think I will be able to attend the RTR this year but reading what you're posting makes me believe further that not attending is to my detriment.

I like the way you think and would be happy to have the opportunity to share a meal with you, laughter definitely included, further down the line.

I hope you find the help you are looking for. I'd be surprised if you didn't. If you didn't then this tribe would be more talk than action and that is not the impression I get from participating in the forum so far.

Cheers to you and all,

GypsyChic

That sounds like a great plan, it should work well for you! Great people at the RTR!

I agree totally about the laughter, I just wonder if it always has to be about me!!!???? :p
Bob

I may be able to help GotSmart, I have a electric impact wrench capable of turning 200 ft. lbs. You will need to supply the 110 volts. I also have a floor jack and jack stands. You will also need a "pickle fork" for separating the linkage. I am finishing up repairs to my van and hope to be on the road, heading for the RTR no later than Jan 1. Hope to see you there!

Vonbrown said:
I may be able to help GotSmart, I have a electric impact wrench capable of turning 200 ft. lbs. You will need to supply the 110 volts. I also have a floor jack and jack stands. You will also need a "pickle fork" for separating the linkage. I am finishing up repairs to my van and hope to be on the road, heading for the RTR no later than Jan 1. Hope to see you there!

Thank you!

I have a 12v impact, along with the stands, jack, and pickle fork. The manual recommends using a puller, which is not that expensive. I will be looking in pawn shops for a decent one I can toss in the emergency tool box. I am trying to have what I need! :huh:

I will be heading that way slowly as I have a lot of people to visit passing through California. Family and members of my ex wife club. :cool:

I can provide 110 volt from my Honda 2000.

Unrelated to your need but going back to to the idea of an exchange, I have an 8 foot step ladder anyone can borrow.
Bob

I've been thinking about this too Bob. Lots of us have tools and/or knowledge and lots of us need help with something but how does everyone get together on it?

We have a ladder, hand tools, soldiering iron, drill and miscellaneous bits and pieces that we've kept "just in case". We will gladly charge phones and laptops as long as the sun shines enough on our solar panels.

I'm volunteering Tony (haven't told him yet-ha,ha!) to lend a hand for anyone who needs one. I can do hand sewing, hemming, etc. I've noticed that people get stuck on how to make curtains.

GotSmart - I asked Tony about changing out steering gear and he knows nothing about it but I'm sure he could help.

Favors to a random person are all that's expected in return. :)

I have a well stocked electrical parts box also, so repairs can be done without running to the parts store.

Two people are about all that can work on the gear at a time. I have a book that has pictures, so it will not be that hard. (RIIIGHT!!!) It just weighs a lot, and I am a weak old man. (My kids don't buy that either!)

Someone should set up a "needs" sheet so those of us that are unable to sit still without fiddling with something can keep busy.

I also need an address to program in my phone GPS so I can find the right spot. Bob?

How about, whenever "The Tribe" gets together that someone pounds a stake into the ground and attaches a board onto which folks can post their respective needs/skills/lost/found/hangings etc etc etc ?..........FWIW
KinA

GotSmart said:
I also need an address to program in my phone GPS so I can find the right spot. Bob?

Here are the co-ordinates for the final turn into the RTR camp -
33.650828°,-114.145942°

Also take at look at the map Bob's blog post - http://www.cheaprvliving.com/gatherings/ It's really easy to find. See you there!

Tools can be rented, free here in Portland, at auto parts stores. Especially good for front end tools and such that are rarely needed.

The tool that is needed is about $10 used. That is money I gladly spend, as it can be used by a lot of people. I have needed a puller many times over the years, and was always able to borrow one. Time to buy one.

Thanks T&K, I now have the exact location!

See everyone there!

Last year the side of my van was the community bulletin boards. We used magnets to hold things on it.

Nearly every day we have a seminar and before we start I do announcements:

activites/upcoming events
things for sale or barter
help/services offered
help needed

Whatever was good for the group we did.
Bob

How far from the area that we will be at is the tent, or the sales area? I ask because i can't do long walks.

I have a Honda 3000 from my truck camper days I can bring if anyone thinks they may need it.

GotSmart said:
Thank you!

I have a 12v impact, along with the stands, jack, and pickle fork. The manual recommends using a puller, which is not that expensive. I will be looking in pawn shops for a decent one I can toss in the emergency tool box. I am trying to have what I need! :huh:

I will be heading that way slowly as I have a lot of people to visit passing through California. Family and members of my ex wife club. :cool:

Yup, it's called a pitman arm puller. Can be rented from AutoZone, no need to buy one.

OH GOODY!!

I can dump all my excess, and perhaps find equal weight to take it's place!!!

Since moving into the van, what I need has changed drastically. The fridge was one of the first things to go.

(Still looking for a good woman that will put up with me!)

In a straight line through the desert it's probably 4 miles to the big tent. But there are roads here and you can drive! :p It's probably 6 miles by car. Lots of people will ride their ATVs over.

The traffic is horrible here during the big tent, but between where we are and the big tent there are no lights or stops signs so it's fast and easy.

Lots of people make friends and carpool then see it together. That's most common.
Bob

GotSmart said:
OH GOODY!!

I can dump all my excess, and perhaps find equal weight to take it's place!!!

(Still looking for a good woman that will put up with me!)

dont think youll find one in the donate pile, and if you did she isnt gonna tell you her weight for the exchange! :D