roof coating by me

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Foghorn said:
Missnout,
What knap length and type roller did you use? Looks good.
I just tried a quick patch repair with a 1/4" knap roller and got too much texture. That may have had to do with the thick patch goop also. I am planning on doing the Liquid Rubber roof in the spring.

Foggy

It was a cheap medium textured roller from home depote they had three to choose from Soft, Med, Course. It was a pink or peach color don't know if that makes a difference. I hand brushed it around the edges and all implements.

missnout said:
It was a cheap medium textured roller from home depote they had three to choose from Soft, Med, Course. It was a pink or peach color don't know if that makes a difference. I hand brushed it around the edges and all implements.

let me add that the duck tape was a booger to get off. I would use a painters tape or frog if you can. Also I didnt have a pressure washer so when rubbing the top with a broom and hosing my broom bristles began to melt. Also I used a high pressure nozzle on the hose.

missnout said:
when rubbing the top with a broom and hosing my broom bristles began to melt.

Did you figure out why the bristles were melting? Is that preparation treatment some kind of solvent? I wonder if using a natural bristle brush with an all wooden brush body and handle would have been better?

Professional painters always use a natural bristle brush with any paint that cleans up with solvent, and a synthetic bristle brush with paints that clean up with water.

Hard to believe your beautiful trailer already needs a roof coating. It looks so good! I really like the rubber boots on the bottom rung of the ladder.

GrantRobertson said:
Professional painters always use a natural bristle brush with any paint that cleans up with solvent, and a synthetic bristle brush with paints that clean up with water.

That's very true, but as far as I know it has more to do with the application of the paint than the effect of the solvent on the bristles. Natural bristles will absorb water, so a water/latex base paint will swell them up and turn your brush into a mess before you can get a clean line. Nylon/polyester bristles both wick away oil, so oil based paints are not typically applied with synthetic brushes. Unless it's an emulsified oil/water blend.

Then there are alcohol base, epoxy, shellac, and other specialty paints with similar considerations.

It's true some solvents will dissolve synthetic bristles though so I'm also curious what's in that stuff missnout used.

It was the pre-treatment that ruined the plastic broom bristles. it is made to clean and remove all that is on the rpdm roof, Then the rubber is painted on.