Roadtrek/Pleasure Way + ground clearance

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2catsdriving

Reaction score
Hi, all.
I'm looking at Roadtrek 170s for my first Class B RV, but I'm concerned about the ground clearance. Those side storage units look pretty low.
Anyone have experience with a Roadtrek? Is the clearance an issue driving on dirt roads?
Are the Pleasure Ways any better?
Is there another Class B you'd recommend for back-country driving?
Thanks in advance!
John

High Clearance is not so much an issue on dirt roads or even established BLM camping areas.  But it is an issue for off-road camping. I have a Travato with about 6 inch clearance.  I’ve never had an issue on the BLM camping areas in Quartzsite.  I’ve been on some really rough dirt/gravel roads in north-west Canada and Alaska with no major issues.  This includes the Campbell, Dempster, Silver Trail up to Keno City, Top-of-the-World, Taylor up to Eagle, McCarthy, and Denali.  

The big problem with clearance and most class-Bs is that generally the tanks, generator, and house batteries are below axel level, so now only does that restrict ground clearance, but it’s also stuff that you really don’t want to damage.

The one place where clearance can become an issue is on forest access roads.  Those roads tend to be highly rutted and can cause you to scrape bottom.

Ditto.

If you want to go out into the wilds on roads many wouldn’t dare, a ClassB is not the answer.

That said, I have been on some rutted roads without getting stuck, including into and back out of Chaco Canyon.

Some are carefully passable, but many are not and especially if there’s a good rain a very good chance they will become impassable, and you will be stuck in place until the roads dry up.

Also, unless a dirt road road is bladed or you know it is passable up ahead, best thing is not to go down them lest you find yourself backing out.

Don’t ask me how I know this.

there is a huge difference between Maintained(graded) dirt/gravel roads and unmaintained dirt roads. anybody can drive down a maintained road. so the question is more about do you want to go where everybody goes or do you want take the road less traveled. highdesertranger

My father has a Pleasure Way. It's overall great quality. He's had some minor issues, like the electric folding bed not folding or unfolding, and things like that. Also, the stock house battery that came with it wasn't very good so he had to upgrade it. But overall it's a good unit.

My personal opinion though is that it wasn't worth the money. They are very expensive, and the build feels kind of claustrophobic to me. Personally I think you'd be better off buying a cargo van (like a high top Transit for example) and doing a custom build, if you have the time and energy to go that route. If you have more money than energy though, things swing back the other direction.

The other advantage of a Class B is that you'll have an RVIA seal, which allows you to hook to the electric and sewer at RV parks, and get blessing to stay at the pickier parks in general. But if you're primarily boondocking rather than RV park camping, that's not as much of a priority.

My two cents...

highdesertranger said:
there is a huge difference between Maintained(graded) dirt/gravel roads and unmaintained dirt roads.  anybody can drive down a maintained road.  so the question is more about do you want to go where everybody goes or do you want take the road less traveled.  highdesertranger

Excellent point! Thank you. I'm not looking to 4-wheel. I just don't want to be blocked from some nice spots!

A class B is as capable on those forest service roads (two track) as a cargo van in my opinion and my class B has a Posi track rear-end whereas most cargo vans have an open differential. The low spots are the axles and the waste dump mechanism. My tanks and generator are higher than the axles, just the tank dump part sticking down lower is a bother. Forest service roads aren't meant to go speeding down, drive slow and watch for potential problems. I have been back in places where people wondered how I got my van there.

barleyguy said:
Personally I think you'd be better off buying a cargo van (like a high top Transit for example) and doing a custom build, if you have the time and energy to go that route. 

I agree. I'd like to try. It all depends on how much time I have to work on it.

Latest posts