Retirement

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vonbrown

Reaction score
Many of you know me as Mechanic Mike.

After much thought and trial and error, I am going to retire from auto repair. I can not tolerate the aggravated pain no more. Arthritis and spinal stenosis has taken my skills from me. My heart weighs heavy with this decision as I truly feel useful in the vandwelling community and many need the help. I have worked for free and my concern is with the people and their safety. I found great satisfaction.

I hope to reinvent myself so as to continue to serve the many wonderful people I have met.

You have been a GREAT asset to the community. Your skills may still be put to use mentoring (you don't have to do the wrenching) or just advice. I know, getting old sucks big time. My mobility has also suffered. Helping others (when and where I can) is one of my joys also.

I recently asked my brother if, like me, he's finding it difficult to fasten on his shoes these days. He chuckled and admitted that he wears almost nothing but slip-ons. And that this difficulty is exactly the reason why.

I laughed a bit and told him that I still wear boots with laces since I do want ankle support. But I have to put them on in stages; put on the socks and then rest. Put on the boots and then rest. Tie them up and then rest. And so on.

Getting old really does stink, doesn't it?

"Getting old is not for sissies."

The worst part of getting old and busted up is not being able to do useful work. I never intended to retire at all, since the work I used to do was playtime to me. Well, I'm still alive, so I guess I'd better enjoy it all I can, because nothing is guaranteed.

The Dire Wolfess

Sorry to hear you are in pain. I know what that is like, it happened to me when I was 34 years old and working on aircraft fabrication. But you will be able to reinvent yourself and find new things to do and also use your skills to mentor others. Retirement from one thing does not of course mean you will be out of work. People who enjoy making and fixing things and enjoy solving problems never really do manage to retire, they just evolve into new projects.

Crawling under, and into engine bays is a young man's game which I used to do plenty of. You can still show/tell the newbies how to complete a project.....losing skills from aging sucks.

We're so happy to see you out traveling again! How you decide to reinvent yourself and the help you can provide to the community in the future is just icing on the cake. :)

Best of all things to you in the reinvention. I'm struggling with a version of that, myself.
I read a blurb, today, that mentioned "Old age is a celebration of losses", that resonated with me.

I must've have been skipping school the day they passed out the "How to grow old successfully" mimeograph and discussion.

There are not alot of old mechanics and welders. It is just too physically demanding in a most times very difficult enviroment. I figured if I lived past 30 years old it would be a miracle and everything past that was like bonus points in a pin ball game. When I hit 30 I quit doing diesels and heavy equipment the little girl that took my spot really knew how to use lifts and cranes and had pipe extensions welded on her wrenches that just wasn't who I was. I worked on light trucks and cars untill about 40 then just small light weight imports. Did some race crew positions but it was too stressful and hectic. Opened a small engine shop also and ended up teaching in a vocational school. Finally ended up with pretty much a desk job running a school districts bus garage and doing mechanics as a hobby. When I retired in my mid 50s I decided to travel and sold everything cars, shop, tools and etc. as there just wasn't enough room. My wife still gets mad at me when I come home with a tool! I didn't quit working as I found out I sort of enjoy finding jobs that allow me to meet and help people. I found what I call "old man" jobs. Security, shuttle driver, guide, boat safety/inspections, and volunteering that are not physically demanding and all envolve helping people. I get to do things I enjoy doing when I want to do them like posting here as you have done and hope you continue to do. It is good you are back on the road. One of the hardest things for me was letting someone else work on my vehicles accepting the fact they were gonna do it as well as I would have when I was able. I'm finally to a point I realize I have enough time it doesn't matter if I have to take it back so they can learn from their mistakes as I sort of enjoy sitting around a garage now and then. I guess I am learning to live "in the moment" as that pretty much all I realistically have left! LOL!!!

It would be great if there was a sticky post where newbies could ask for help and you skilled pros could walk them through the process step by step via texts.

best of luck moving forward. Time is yours, just find what you want to fill it with and go on your merry way and enjoy the heck out of life.

Vonbrown, Wow!  I've read your posts and I can tell you really know your stuff.  People just don't recognize or appreciate good mechanics.  Just way too many goofs out there posing as mechanics.  I was an ASE Master Tech and ran a name brand tire dealership that shared parking with an economy lube and tune place.  I'd look across the parking lot as some newbie mechanic would start week 1 changing oil, week 2 doing tune-ups and the new tool box arrived, week 3 doing brakes, week 4 managing the shop, and week 5 loading the toolbox onto a pick up, never to be seen again...  I saw cars fall off the racks regularly, fuel fires a couple of times, and trails of oil leaving their parking lot with the car returning about an hour later on a hook.  Somewhat amusing to watch...  Good times!  

I totally understand...  I changed careers because I was done dealing with unreasonable people and unrealistic expectations.  You can do the best work, use the best parts, charge a fair price, really look out for your customers, and the minute some stupid ten cent part fails they call you a grease monkey and demand a refund.  When it rains you get wet, when its cold you get cold, when its hot you sweat... always blowing black buggers out your nose, skinned knuckles, sore back... and when technology changes you gotta buy new tools.

But road worn, sore, fatigued, or frustrated doesn't mean you're done and out. You can always offer some well-timed advice, and pick and choose some selected side jobs.  There's a certain freedom in retirement...  Congratulations!

bullfrog said:
 bonus points 
True that. I have been living in the now and that really helps when everything goes south. I walked out of the hospital a couple days ago and I must say that the mountains were never so bright and the air so fresh. Great gift to be walking and also feeling the door hit me on the backside on the way out. Bonus points.  ~crofter

Moxadox said:
 I never intended to retire at all, since the work I used to do was playtime to me.  

When work is play is the best! I crave the going and doing for my mental happiness and joyfullness. I rarely feel joy when I'm just sitting around, so I will seek ways to go and do anyway. As VonBrown put it "I'm still standing- and turning the next page of the book of life is a gift.    ~crofter