Retired Van Dwellers: why not Mexico

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IGBT said:
Great, now that we have heard your side, lets now hear from the Mormon women and children who were shot/burned alive in their vehicles.
Seems like an odd reply to someone who took the time to share details of their experience rather than what they heard on fear mongering mainstream media.

Atrocities are not limited to other countries, US has its share as well.

Naive question. A lot of van dwellers carry guns. Is it legal to take them into Mexico with you, and then bring them back into the US?

It is illegal to carry guns in Mexico. You can leave your legal guns stored in the US before travelling there.   ~crofter

MrNoodly said:
... But I don't speak enough Spanish to feel comfortable...
The times they are a changing.....Currently, English is mandatory in all Mexican schools from seventh through ninth grade, although many private schools start as early as preschool.

If you are a person who likes to sleep with the radio on then que up some language lessons to play while you sleep. It is amazing what the brain will absorb in terms of meaning of words and improvement of pronunciation. But of course it takes electrical power for that...

crofter said:
It is illegal to carry guns in Mexico. You can leave your legal guns stored in the US before travelling there.   ~crofter

There are special exception, but it's a lot of paperwork.

"Hunters who wish to travel to Mexico with their hunting rifle(s), must apply for a special import permit and carry-license from a Mexican Consulate before traveling to Mexico. The procedures are so involved that most hunters only travel on hunting trips organized under the auspice of local hunter groups/associations, who apply for permits on behalf of their registered members."

https://www.mexperience.com/mexicos-strict-gun-laws/

There are quite a few van dwellers who do work part of the year at various types of jobs. Just because you have not seen a lot of this in this particular forum or on youtube does not mean they do not exist.

Lots of people do not have a youtube channel and the majority of people do not participate in online forums because they don't want to spend time doing that. Why would they go into a forum when they have their nomadic life already sorted out with where they go and when? Why would they go into a forum if they already own a vehicle and it is in good shape? If they have already been doing it for a while then they have already built an on the road community of friends for themselves.

They certainly don't need to watch the videos at CheapRVliving that are showing how to do the most basic things and featuring the types of vehicles people live in; they already posses that knowledge.

Forums tend to be of two types, one is pretty much a social club, the other is people asking for advice and help. This forum is primarily the second type with a bit of the social club located here and there in some of the threads such as about rallys, van builds, group campsites, caravans and of course the RTR.

MG1912 said:
Very good thread.  I am also inclined to believe that Mexico is too dangerous right now.  Even traditionally "safe" enclaves like Cancun have seen incredible violence in recent years. 

Anyone going to any country outside of the United States should read these.
I read them when my daughter flew to Cancun 6 or 7 years ago. Cancun had a State Dept. advisory back then. You have to avoid tourist traps. Same thing here. I visited New York City for New Year's Eve to watch the ball drop & in one night I had my wallet stolen, then my camera, then at 4:00 AM woke to 3-4 men walking into our hotel room. When I woke they ran.

Anyway, there are maps that show the areas to avoid. And the State Department site.

For the person who didn’t want to let the Mexican cat out of the bag. I got news. When I was little in the ‘60’s and my family camped on the beaches and trailer parks in Baja it was already filled with poor elderly Americans retired there and partying like crazy every night. I was from a staid suburb and remember being shocked at these old people playing loud music, drinking, smoking and dancing. Nothing like our grandparents back home.

Always remember if you’ve thought of it someone else always has also way before you. And I have lived in Mexico ( and other Spanish speaking countries) and speak with native fluency and I won’t live or travel there anymore for all the reasons given and then some.
Oh and no matter what they tell you, calling Americans or Canadians gringos or worse gabachos IS an insult. If they do that, and they will, then laugh, you ask if they like being called frilojeros or mojados neither of which is intrinsically mean either. That will shut them up. I watched many tourists being laughed at and taken advantage of while being smiled at. Sick of it.

Qxxx said:
If you're going to live in a van or RV, and do a lot boondocking, I'm not sure Mexico would have any real advantages over the desert southwest in the US. Cost of living may be 1/2, but mainly if living in S&B. ???? With a van, you're mainly buying food. What does gas cost in MX as compared to the US?
Hi 
what is S&B?
I see your point, hadn’t thought of it that way. Maybe it’s possible to hug the border while van living and take advantage of both sides to make limited funds last longer. Then do occasional 2wk camping trips down into the Bajab for fishing and foraging the sea trips. Being from Canada what worries me more is having to pay those high US$ fees if I need medical attention. Steve

owl said:
The OP's question was why don't folks go to Mexico in winter for the savings in cost of living.? Many don't need whatever small savings would be achieved and the culture is very different and not interesting to many. The folks who are so inclined are going just not spreading it on the internet in order not to have it ruined as so many good sites stateside have been.
Thanks for your input. I can see folks not promoting Baja to help keep it the way it is. I think I might try traveling thru the Baja while doing Workaway projects that will get me more into the local culture and meeting folks who live there. Hopefully that would keep me out of trouble. Steve

For large parts of the Baja, introductory Spanish should be sufficient for anyone. Learn more if you want to have deeper, more interesting conversations with locals.

We lived in Mexico full time for 6 out of the last 8 years. In all that time we don't recall ever feeling 'not safe.' We didn't live anywhere near the border, on purpose, but even in Mexico City or Guadalajara or lots of other towns we always felt perfectly safe. We've spent time everywhere from Cabo to Cancun, Monterrey to San Cristobal de las Casas. Also Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Belize.

Reading State Dept. travel warnings from *inside* the country was always interesting. I don't believe those are relevant to tourists any way. They are mainly for corporation employees and government staff.

The only reason we're back in the States is due to the virus and potential random, illogical border closures. As it was, we had to walk our luggage across the border at McAllen as most traffic is restricted. But we're definitely going to caravan to the Baja as soon as it is an option!

Saludos.

steveca4 said:
Hi 
what is S&B?
I see your point, hadn’t thought of it that way. Maybe it’s possible to hug the border while van living and take advantage of both sides to make limited funds last longer. Then do occasional 2wk camping trips down into the Bajab for fishing and foraging the sea trips. Being from Canada what worries me more is having to pay those high US$ fees if I need medical attention. Steve
Get travel health insurance before you leave.

MaTaLa said:
Grew up a couple of hours from the border, used to cross it several times a year, growing up my family camped in Baja before it was a tourist trap. I lived in Mexico and have traveled by bus across the country. My Spanish is as native as my English (first ten years teaching were in the bilingual program) I have also lived in Colombia and Paraguay (among other places) was married to a Paraguayan. So sick of hearing people who know nothing have opinions. Mexico: The government is corrupt. The federales on one side and the narcos on the other are terrifying. I have been blocked from flying IN THE AIRPORT until I paid a bribe. The medical care is years behind ours. If you get in a car accident without insurance do some research, let’s just say you’re screwed. You can’t drink the water and I have a permanent eye condition from bathing in it (luckily my American ophthalmologist is from Vietnam and said she had never seen that in an American) Why can’t you drink the water? Other Latin American countries have potable water.It shouldn’t be so poor but it’s the corruption. And yeah if you’re a wealthy protected American it’s wonderful until the day something happens. I love Mexico. I love the food, the art and music, the land, the people and the culture but I’m not going to romanticize it and be politically correct. And it’s not all that cheap to live there unless you go native and there’s a reason natives leave. 

Seems like an odd reply to someone who took the time to share details of their experience rather than what they heard on fear mongering mainstream media.

Atrocities are not limited to other countries, US has its share as well.

this is what I don't like about using the quote feature.

MaTaLa did not write that, but by quoting it the way it was done makes it seem that way.

ONCE AGAIN MaTaLa DID NOT WRITE THAT. he only wrote the last 2 sentences here is what he wrote,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Seems like an odd reply to someone who took the time to share details of their experience rather than what they heard on fear mongering mainstream media.

Atrocities are not limited to other countries, US has its share as well."
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
please people be careful when using the quote feature. I would rather you copy and paste only the minimum relevant info.

I left this up as an example, normally it would get deleted because nothing was added. Please don't do that either.

highdesertranger

Yeah, I have come to realize that almost every time Lerca makes a post, I have to parse out what she says from what the previous poster actually said. Very confusing feature.

How's about removing it and bringing back the TU button. (just to humor me).

I was responding to him. Sorry if you didn’t like my response but since I’ve lived it that’s my experience. Tired of politically correct people trying to silence reality because it doesn’t fit with their narrative. My BA was in Anthropology with a  specialization in the cultures of the indigenous peoples of North and South America. So I’ve spent a lifetime informally and formally studying the language and culture. And yes, the Mormon post is correct. A bit off-topic but absolutely correct. They and some Mennonites are still there with their attendant issues.
You don’t do well when anyone dares disagree with you.

LERCA said:
I was responding to him. 
You missed the point. It wasn't what you said but that it was difficult to distinquish what you said from what the previous poster wrote. You should use the "reply" button and not the "quote" button. Try it on me.

yes you are not understanding. it's not what you said in fact you didn't add anything to that post but the way it was quoted made MaTala look like he said something that he never did. please reread post #34 then read what I wrote under it. MaTaLa never said that stuff only the last 2 lines. highdesertranger

In my experience, boondocking in Baja is more expensive than in the US. Higher gas prices, insurance, FMM, etc. Laundromats are rather hard to find, and purified water is expensive. Local food is cheap, but food imported from the north is pricier than in the US. The lack of designated public lands is also a handicap. Even if there are no fences or signs, ejidal land is NOT public property!

When I stayed in El Pescadero, there was a "hippie camp" of vandwellers who lived on the beach, with the blessing of local residents. In my travels I parked on the beach a few nights without issues, but I wouldn't thinking of bringing a fancy rig and setting up camp on a beach like you owned the damn place. On the other hand, Baja is great if you are an adventurous type living out of a beat-up car or truck, unafraid to try out your Spanish skills and make friends. People are very approachable down there, far more so than in the States. If you are misanthropic or standoffish by nature, you won't like Mexico.

Two rules for safety in Mexico: 1) Don't show fear, and 2) Don't be stupid. If you see some sketchy looking dudes eyeing you, don't ignore them! Instead, give a firm nod in their direction. Chances are they will nod back, and mutual respect is established. Mexico is an anarchic society in many ways; show respect and strength, and you will be respected in turn.

winterwanderer said:
Two rules for safety in Mexico: 1) Don't show fear, and 2) Don't be stupid. If you see some sketchy looking dudes eyeing you, don't ignore them! Instead, give a firm nod in their direction. Chances are they will nod back, and mutual respect is established. Mexico is an anarchic society in many ways; show respect and strength, and you will be respected in turn.
 Honestly this sound perilously close to the worst, most racist places I have ever lived, was incredibly relieved to get out of, and would never go back to no matter how much you paid me.  That kind of sulking resentment, ostracization, and incipient violence is the worst of what humanity has to offer.  To want to swim in those waters is, to me, to embrace drowning or say that the water's fine as you sink.