Early Stages of Van Build/Planning Vanlife

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zigg

Reaction score
Hi, 
Last year I rediscovered my love of camping, and it made a big change in my life.  I'm 53 and plan to retire in about 3-4 years.  The thought of van living and traveling around while meeting new and interesting people is very attractive to me.  I am, however, overwhelmed with the prospect of the change and specifically doing a van build.  I have no building skills; worked in an office for the past 15 years and lived in apartments most of my life.

So, I have the resources to purchase an empty van, and plan to do so (Dodge Promaster Hi Roof (159).  If anyone can give me some encouragement on how to approach the build and also if anyone knows of experts in the Sacramento, California area, i would appreciate it.

So glad to have found this forum and I'm grateful for Bob Well's many, many videos.   :blush:

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

search Bob's YouTube website for two videos; first being where a guy laid out the floor plan for his van in his bedroom with tape and then filled things in to see how everything would fit; 2nd Bob did a video on a no build build where you buy plastic storage containers a cot that you adjust for height with plastic tubing etc etc; relatively cheap to accomplish but will give you a good idea of what you're dealing with and once you're out on the road and living with what you configured you can figure out what changes you need to make to adjust for your comfort; not as big a problem as you imagine

Zigg,

Just because you work in an office for 15 years, does not mean you have no skills.. So here is My suggestion..

And I am 52, lived a totally different life than you..

Use the knowledge that you have about camping and just start from there.
Don't put so much pressure on yourself..
If you are able, do short trips first..
Minimize, minimize, minimize

Bob's youtube does have a lot of information on it.. there is also a lot of information on other channels.. and a lot of information here.. easy to get over whelmed.

Start with the Basics,

I or several other people I am sure would be happy to help you with a build and walking you through things, that is the wonderful thing about this community..

Thank you landyachtman! said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums!  To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. 

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thank you Scott3569!  Yes said:
Zigg,

Just because you work in an office for 15 years, does not mean you have no skills.. So here is My suggestion..

And I am 52, lived a totally different life than you..

Use the knowledge that you have about camping and just start from there.
Don't put so much pressure on yourself..
If you are able, do short trips first..
Minimize, minimize, minimize

Bob's youtube does have a lot of information on it.. there is also a lot of information on other channels.. and a lot of information here.. easy to get over whelmed.

Start with the Basics,

I or several other people I am sure would be happy to help you with a build and walking you through things, that is the wonderful thing about this community..

Thank you mattvei!  I watched that video "No Build Build" yesterday!  Gave me some hope on how to keep it simple as I learn.  Appreciate your encouragement and hope to see you on the road! said:
search Bob's YouTube website for two videos; first being where a guy laid out the floor plan for his van in his bedroom with tape and then filled things in to see how everything would fit; 2nd Bob did a video on a no build build where you buy plastic storage containers a cot that you adjust for height with plastic tubing etc etc; relatively cheap to accomplish but will give you a good idea of what you're dealing with and once you're out on the road and living with what you configured you can figure out what changes you need to make to adjust for your comfort; not as big a problem as you imagine

Latest posts