Retired Van Dwellers: why not Mexico

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveca4

Reaction score
Hello all

I'm Steve (63yrs) in Canada, out on the Prairies of Manitoba. My goal is to do a van conversion over the next couple of years and then spend most of the year traveling from the northern coast of Canada down to the southeast tip of Baja, November to May each year I have left. 

For many at least part of van dwelling lifestyle would seem to be about living on a small income, like a pension. If that is the case why do many Van Dwellers not earn income in Canada or US for a portion of the year and then go down to the Baja or other states in Mexico where the cost of living is half anywhere in Canada or the US? 

I've wondered about this many times. It would seem that anyone on any kind of disability or other pension income would get far more for their buck south of the US board. 

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has done it or wants to do it or has thought about doing this. 

Also if anyone knows of any tribe, convoy or groups who go into Mexico please mention how to contact them. 

All feedback is appreciate, positive and negative. 

Right now, having made one trip to La Paz in Baja Sur I'd say this is more than feasible. I loved the people, the food and the culture in that area, never felt unsafe. In fact I'm from near Winnipeg, where murder per capita is one of the highest in Canada but its perfectly safe to move around in all but a small area of Winnipeg. I suspect the same is true of all cities and areas including Mexico. 

thanks all, 
Steve 

[email protected], feel free to contact me hear as well

Interested, I'll give you a shout via email but open to discussing it here.

I love Mexico, its people and culture and have gone there a few times in my van. But I don't speak enough Spanish to feel comfortable. I'm always aware I'm an outsider. And sometimes I feel like I'm exploiting their economy. What's cheap there for me is expensive for them.

Just the other day I was thinking about going to Mexico again. (I can practically see it from where I'm camped in California.) I'd like to do it with a friend—preferably one who speaks Spanish a lot better than me. But it's hard enough for me to find other nomads in the US whose personality and traveling style are compatible with me. It's harder to find ones who also want to go to Mexico. Hell, there are nomads who don't even want to go to California.

My experience in Baja is that once away from the border or tourist destinations, there are very few English speakers. Also, in those stretches between decent sized towns, cell reception is rare or nonexistent, so Google Translator becomes useless.

I took French in middle school (and didn't do very well) and lived in California for 20 years, so I can stumble my way through Spanish, but not enough to have a decent conversation or to discuss mechanical problems. I have a hard time learning a language because my hearing isn't very good. I can hear the vowel sounds, but the consonants give me a hard time.

Moderator edit: I think I accidently editted some of your content. Sorry, please replace it if necessary.

There's the language thing but also many older retired people have health issues that would require being fairly close to good medical care.

Since I drive an older vehicle, I would worry about finding a competent mechanic or having access to parts if there's a breakdown.

I would suspect that many people would balk at travel to Mexico because of it's gun laws.

slow2day said:
Since I drive an older vehicle, I would worry about finding a competent mechanic or having access to parts if there's a breakdown.

Mexico is full of older vehicles and people who know how to fix them.

If you're going to live in a van or RV, and do a lot boondocking, I'm not sure Mexico would have any real advantages over the desert southwest in the US. Cost of living may be 1/2, but mainly if living in S&B. ???? With a van, you're mainly buying food. What does gas cost in MX as compared to the US?

steveca4 said:
If that is the case why do many Van Dwellers not earn income in Canada or US for a portion of the year and then go down to the Baja or other states in Mexico where the cost of living is half anywhere in Canada or the US?

It's been over 20 years but I spent a winter in Baja, mostly around Mulege and Loreto on the east side. I don't see a reason to do it for cost savings, because if you are living in a van it's cheap in the US. You mostly buy food and gas; gas is more expensive in Mexico and food is a little cheaper... plus you may need or want special insurance for your vehicle. And, it's a long drive to get down there vs camping in the SW deserts.

I did not "feel safe" most of the time... which is saying something compared to some of the places I've parked in the US where I wasn't nervous at all. If I'd known Spanish I think it would have helped. Also, I had a woman with me in Baja who I felt responsible for. The great majority of the people down there are awesome, but the law was more arbitrary (corrupt) than in the US and definitely in Canada. Heard a few first hand stories from people who'd been robbed by Federales (these are the police, or kids with machine guns). Held at gunpoint while they went through their stuff and took what they wanted. Oddly it didn't deter them from coming back! My girlfriend and I were surrounded by >20 of them when we camped on the peninsula east of Mulege. It turned out fine. I think they were just there to spy on her skinny-dipping, but they said they were looking for drug smugglers. Driving was sketchy and something you didn't want to do at night. Semi-drivers drove at insane speeds on the winding roads, taking up both lanes, and often overturned apparently since I saw many laying on the side of the road. Note that this was awhile ago, so it may be better or worse now.

The good part is that you can camp on beautiful remote beaches for free! And the weather is great unless the northerly winds kick up, which happens fairly often in early spring. I loved the experience and I'm very glad I did it, but I don't know if I'll go back.

The OP's question was why don't folks go to Mexico in winter for the savings in cost of living.? Many don't need whatever small savings would be achieved and the culture is very different and not interesting to many. The folks who are so inclined are going just not spreading it on the internet in order not to have it ruined as so many good sites stateside have been.

steveca4 said:
For many at least part of van dwelling lifestyle would seem to be about living on a small income, like a pension. If that is the case why do many Van Dwellers not earn income in Canada or US for a portion of the year and then go down to the Baja or other states in Mexico where the cost of living is half anywhere in Canada or the US? 

I've wondered about this many times. It would seem that anyone on any kind of disability or other pension income would get far more for their buck south of the US board. 
Heading to Mexico during the winter months is my plan, but I don't want to go alone. It won't be this year, but maybe next year. I'm in touch with Matala, so maybe I'll catch up with you guys, if you make it there next winter. It's a great idea for those on limited incomes (like myself), imo.

Qxxx said:
If you're going to live in a van or RV, and do a lot boondocking, I'm not sure Mexico would have any real advantages over the desert southwest in the US. Cost of living may be 1/2, but mainly if living in S&B. ???? With a van, you're mainly buying food. What does gas cost in MX as compared to the US?
The ocean is one big advantage:)

Also, I learned from watching a ton of YT vids, that mechanics in Mexico know old trucks and seem to have access to parts. I have a '95 F250. Oh, and repair work is much less expensive there. As is eating out.

The crime rate in Mexico is too high, the police are too corrupt, and the social safety net is not as good as in the USA.

Mark me, the USA is not good but the violent crime murder rate in Mexico is 218.49 out of a million while in the USA it is 42.01 out of a million.  Pretty significant difference.

Canada is nicer...the violent crime murder rate is 16.23 per million.

Besides, here in eastern Washington state, the living wage is only $10.33 and they just raised the minimum wage in Washington to $13.50...pretty significantly above the living wage.   It is dirt cheap to live in parts of eastern Washington state.   Healthcare is near free if you are low income, apartments are $500 a month, food is cheap from the grocery store and not taxed.   I really see no reason someone needs to flee to Mexico.

I assume that, in eastern WA, the weather in winter is a bit dryer than around Seattle, depending on where you're at. I remember reading that Yakima is almost desert level rainfall. But probably cold too. The lady that was living over near Coeur d'Alene indicated extremely cold in winter.

Extremely high crime rate, tremendous corruption, some very real and depressing racism. Also, you have to really commit to learning the language if you don't want to feel forever an outsider. (And you might anyway.) Which is not such a bad thing, but it does take considerable time and effort.

IGBT said:
The crime rate in Mexico is too high, the police are too corrupt, and the social safety net is not as good as in the USA. <snip>

Canada is nicer...the violent crime murder rate is 16.23 per million.
I don't think he is talking about moving there. Or even working there. He said for those on a pension or disability.

There are hundreds of blogs and youtube videos from people boondocking (and/or living) in Mexico. One way to find them is to search for Pan American Highway. Or, "boondocking in Mexico".

The crime rate is very high, but I think it's like when I lived in Chicago... there are pockets. You have to avoid the high crime cities/regions.

I want to visit both coasts of the U.S. (and everything in between:) And Canada!

Edit: Sorry. Steve said both earn & retire on...:

"For many at least part of van dwelling lifestyle would seem to be about living on a small income, like a pension. If that is the case why do many Van Dwellers not earn income in Canada or US for a portion of the year and then go down to the Baja or other states in Mexico where the cost of living is half anywhere in Canada or the US?

"I've wondered about this many times. It would seem that anyone on any kind of disability or other pension income would get far more for their buck south of the US board."

Hola!
       I was lucky enough to have spent two years living in a '66 Ford Econoline van in Mexico after graduating High School. I have spent many years since then exploring Mexico on both a motorcycle and van, most recently last month to La Paz. From first hand recent experience:
1) Speaking Spanish would be convenient (as is with any native foreign country language) but not absolutely necessary as, especially in Baja,most business folks can get by English in a pinch. Of course, the locals will appreciate any crude attempt at their language with polite smiles if you really mangle it, but no worries! I have yet to encounter a "retiree service", like a doctor,hospital, dentist, auto repair that didn't have an English capability.
2) Vehicle repair. No problem. Mexican mechanics are well versed at keeping older vehicles running well. Can find excellent work in body painting and interior reupholstering if you need. Mexico is one place where having a brand new model vehicle might be worse than an older one, as far as repair work goes. Want to spend an interesting hour? Watch a roadside mechanic repair and mount a tire BY HAND. Something most of us have forgotten how to do. One extreme situation had a mechanic weld a piece of road sign onto my holed oil pan to get me 1,500 miles home and,......it worked!
3) Medical: Admitting prejudiced here. Cheap and good, English spoken. Do your research (ask locals) and remember you get what you paid for, so don't be tempted by the lowest cost dentist you find. I have a filling in my mouth that has lasted 10 years so far by a Mexican dentist, cost me $7.50. My US dentist claims there is no need to remove and replace as its as "good as he could do". 
4) Crime: Stay out of shady deals/areas and you won't be involved. Same as the US, there are areas to avoid and accidents do happen but I feel safer in Mexico than i did in DC or LA or NOLA or....fill in the blank. Tourist cities are the worse in the crime respect because tourist have money! Corruption? I'd much rather give the traffic cop $20 pesos and avoid jail, trail and judgement fine. Saves me time, cop's kids gets a little something, something and I've learned my traffic lesson. All good! No Mexican cop or military guy is going to toss your van all over the roadside searching for "whatever" or "the dog alerted" like is commonplace here in the USA. Word of advice: You might run into a roadside checkpoint, just like in the US. The young military guys are usually bored and waiting for something interesting o show up...you! Don't be alarmed by the automatic weapons, Mexican Armed Forces are armed with real bullets (unlike most of our military) and are used to handling weapons. Don't freak out as these guys are usually just country kids doing their service time. They are looking for LARGE amounts of drugs or weapons....something YOU don't have (right?). Be friendly, polite. Show the fellas your way cool camp stove, maybe donate a flashlight to the soldier who doesn't have one. I was in a dicey area one day (dusk in the middle of desert nowhere) and asked if I could camp with the soldiers at their outpost. No problem! Felt safe as anywhere protected by the Mexican military...even had chow hall breakfast! Funny story that my traveling companion at the time was convinced we were going to be stood up against a wall and shot with machine guns (well....he IS from California). Boy, was he surprised when we got treated like dignitaries. Prejudice runs both ways. Thanks amigos!
5) Prejudice: Naturally! You are a gringo, you are rich, you don't care about anyone/thing but yourself. You are here to rape the country for your benefit and then leave. You live in the best country on earth and are probably here to "slum" or get drunk and do crazy shite you wouldn't do at home. Unfortunately, stereotypes are grounded in fact. The only time I've personally had a problem with this was on the "hippy trail" in the early 70's but even blue blood 'Mericans gave hipppies" a hard time then....... Just be on your best "guest" behavior, don't get stupid drunk and make up your own rules. The only negative I can say about my experiences traveling in Mexico was waiting in line to come back into the USA! Here's a diffuser for you: When someone calls you a gringo in a bad tone, simply remind them that you and he are both AMERICANS  (as in the continent). That usually does the trick!
        Many ex-pats are retired and working in Mexico. Just look at the American enclave located between Tijuana and Ensenada, almost 95%  gringo along the beachfront. La Paz and Mulege has a very large American population as well. Just know that "van dwelling" in Mexico hearkens memories of the hippy invasion so look neat and clean and you will be welcomed most anywhere. Jobs are available to ex-pats working in tourist areas.
       My advice would be, take a short trip someplace close and nice...Ensendada comes to mind, to check out traveling/camping in Mexico. Lots of nice beachfront places to free camp (La Mission beach, Playa Salsipuedes) and locals used to dealing with gringos to get your feet wet. That said, many should not travel to a foreign country for a variety of reasons. If new and different isn't your cup of tea, maybe stay stateside. Your mileage may vary.......

Buen viaje! (Good travels)
Chuck

Great, now that we have heard your side, lets now hear from the Mormon women and children who were shot/burned alive in their vehicles.

Very good thread. I am also inclined to believe that Mexico is too dangerous right now. Even traditionally "safe" enclaves like Cancun have seen incredible violence in recent years. When I started my career in government over 10 years ago, Ciudad Juarez was one of the most dangerous cities on earth, and, in fact, a U.S. federal employee was murdered there at the time. Just a few weeks ago, the State Department increased its travel advisory to Mexico for U.S. citizens because of the violence... so things have apparently gotten even worse. Mind you, the State Department doesn't just do that for poops and giggles. They do that to protect U.S. citizens.

Here is the travel advisory: https://travel.state.gov/content/tr.../traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

Anyone going to any country outside of the United States should read these.

It's fine with me if people don't want to go to Mexico. I don't care whether their reasons are valid or not. It just means fewer crowds from El Norte clogging up the good spots.