Retired Van Dwellers: why not Mexico

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love Mexico, there are a few American villages along the Baja coastline. You can eat and drink very cheaply some great stuff.  My big hangup there is that the police in La Paz stole my 70 GTO from me in the 80's so bad things can happen.

steveca4 said:
Hello all

I'm Steve (63yrs) in Canada, out on the Prairies of Manitoba. My goal is to do a van conversion over the next couple of years and then spend most of the year traveling from the northern coast of Canada down to the southeast tip of Baja, November to May each year I have left. 

I would love to do this but not being able to speak Spanish is a major show stopper for me. I guess they do have those two way translator devices if someone twisted my arm.

@ dingfelder have to very sadly agree with you. Since people assume I’ve grown up between countries and have Mexican parents (not true) I get even more of it but the whining, resentment, entitlement and open hatred while smiling in your face (for those who aren’t fluent in the language) sickens me. When I lived in Mexico they even blamed bad weather on the US government. It’s hard to have Mexican friends in Mexico because regardless they think you are rich and feel you should help them. And they will rip you off because again no matter how many meals you miss they refuse to believe you are not rich. I could write a book about the culture but I’ve lost my patience with the ugliness and danger.

steveca4 said:
Hello all

I'm Steve (63yrs) in Canada, out on the Prairies of Manitoba. My goal is to do a van conversion over the next couple of years and then spend most of the year traveling from the northern coast of Canada down to the southeast tip of Baja, November to May each year I have left. 

For many at least part of van dwelling lifestyle would seem to be about living on a small income, like a pension. If that is the case why do many Van Dwellers not earn income in Canada or US for a portion of the year and then go down to the Baja or other states in Mexico where the cost of living is half anywhere in Canada or the US? 

I've wondered about this many times. It would seem that anyone on any kind of disability or other pension income would get far more for their buck south of the US board. 

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has done it or wants to do it or has thought about doing this. 

Also if anyone knows of any tribe, convoy or groups who go into Mexico please mention how to contact them. 

All feedback is appreciate, positive and negative. 

Right now, having made one trip to La Paz in Baja Sur I'd say this is more than feasible. I loved the people, the food and the culture in that area, never felt unsafe. In fact I'm from near Winnipeg, where murder per capita is one of the highest in Canada but its perfectly safe to move around in all but a small area of Winnipeg. I suspect the same is true of all cities and areas including Mexico. 

thanks all, 
Steve 

[email protected], feel free to contact me hear as well
I would highly recommend this. Each time you go you will learn more and more and become more proficient in getting your necessities. Any city will have an English community to help you out. You could try trip advisor to get information on a specific place. I found a great guy in puerto Vallarta if you need. I’ve been doing fishing trips to a small ocean side village for some years. I’ve made friends with the locals, been able to get someone to do my laundry, rented boats from local fishermen, Fish with local fishermen, brought some gifts down like ball caps and jewelry and give people rides to the next town. There is one guy in a place of about 75 people that speaks English who is a great resource. But the rest is I’m on my own with my bad Spanish. Every day when I come back from fishing many want to know how i did. There are a few restaurants but none are open when I leave in the morning and I would love a coffee at least. Now, one old guy makes me a cup every morning, it’s only instant with no cream but it’s his gift to me so I bring him back a fish. Another family invited me for an afternoon picnic to a remote beach and fed me, best cerviche I’ve ever had. Try and learn as much Spanish as you can so you can fit in with the locals. Once you fit in then you’re like family and you won’t get treated better then that. There will be a few things that you will miss from home and will be expensive or not available but there will be a whole new world of tastes, foods and adventures to experience that will make you wonder why you didn’t start this 40 years ago. Also there are a lot of YouTube videos from travellers and expats that cover a whole range of topics. Check out all those to get a little familiar with where you want to go so you can make a bit of an agenda of what you want to see and do. Have fun with your new adventure.