Requirements to be considered a Class-B motorhome?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantRobertson

Reaction score
Does anyone know what are the requirements for a van to be considered a Class-B motorhome, and how does one go about certifying it as such? Do you have to get a new title? Just register it that way with the DMV? What?

I saw a YouTube video where a girl mentioned that her van was registered as a Class-B so she was allowed to do work camping. Because I want to do some work camping, it got me a little concerned.

I have Googled, but all I get are ads for Class-B rigs. If someone could just give me some additional clues to help me start looking, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Grant

P.S. I am in Texas, if that makes any difference.

That will depend entirely on which jurisdiction you've got the vehicle titled in.

Where I'm at in Ontario I need to meet 4 out of the following - water supply system with faucet and sink (manual pump is okay), cooking facilities, refrigerator or icebox, self-contained toilet, heating or air conditioning system (not the engine run one), an independent power supply, independent gas supply.

I'm not sure why one would need to have it officially titled as a motorhome to be able to do work camping. Seems a bit odd to me but then what do I know!

You might find the regulations easier if you look under your DMV rules for 'motorhomes'. I don't believe they would make the distinction of classes.

Once I meet the criteria, I can apply to move the registration from truck 'personal use' to motorhome. Then I can get RV insurance on it which is better in terms of coverage for all the add-ons - less hassle with the insurance companies in case of any loss.

In NY, I couldn't find anything on the DMV web site, so I ended up contacting them via email. I told them I was thinking of converting a school bus to an rv. I got an email back, citing the correct part of NY's Motor Vehicle Code, and a list similar to the one Almost There got from ON. I would need to have any four of the six or seven things they listed, and I could register it as a Motor Home.

Regards
John

To be legal more than some distance (maybe 500 feet) from a toilet, in the BLM winter LTVAs you need at least a 10-gallon black tank IIRC. Not all the LTVAs have toilets at all. The summer LTVAs I know of are campgrounds and have vault toilets.

It's different in every state. The answer really is for you to do the research in Texas and find out for yourself.

A lot of times the website is so poor you actually have to go down and talk to someone in person. Sometimes you can email them also.

Bob

One more thing, because the Escapees Club is based out of Texas, you may want to check on their forum, they may have seomthing about this there.
Bob

blars said:
To be legal more than some distance (maybe 500 feet) from a toilet, in the BLM winter LTVAs you need at least a 10-gallon black tank IIRC. Not all the LTVAs have toilets at all. The summer LTVAs I know of are campgrounds and have vault toilets.

So my porta potty in Quartzsite is non conforming?

Ya know, I'm really sick of the government telling me what I need and what I can't have.

Anyone else feel this way?

akrvbob said:
One more thing, because the Escapees Club is based out of Texas, you may want to check on their forum, they may have seomthing about this there.

Oh yeah! I forgot about the Escapees! Thanks, Bob.

Just in the LTVA, it has nothing to do with 14 day dispersed camping.

Because you can sit in one spot for 7 months in an LTVA, it seems totally reasonable to require tanks or to camp close to the toilet.

Let's stay on topic.

Bob

66788 said:
So my porta potty in Quartzsite is non conforming?

Ya know, I'm really sick of the government telling me what I need and what I can't have.

Anyone else feel this way?

Yeah, it's almost as if they are trying to make it so that the only people who can live on the public land are the people who don't need to.

I am titled in Texas, for the vehicle to be considered a Motor Home it has to be fully self contained. A conversion van will still be titled as a Chevy, Dodge or whatever while a Motor Home will be titled as such. Mine is an 89 Merry Miler on a Dodge chassis and in the type of vehicle square it states Motor Home and the maker as Mer.

I would suspect that if you did more work and fully self contained it you would have to go to one of the DPS inspection stations. Like you have to do with a salvage vehicle and get it re-titled. I would call one of those inspection stations and get the scoop from a cop who knows exactly what you need.

Bob J.

Bob's right about the LTVA areas. you only need the containment if you get one of their permits and stay longer than 14 days. also, while you can stay short term(up to 14 days) in the LTVA areas they still charge you by the day and they will find you to collect. ask me how I know. highdesertranger

Well, I think I have found what I was looking for. And the answer is...

Nothing.

Apparently there are no real requirements for a van, trailer, or bus conversion to be considered a motor home in Texas. You just tell them that is what it is when you register it and show them some pictures that indicate what modifications you have made.

Here is what I found:

The Texas Motor Vehicle Title Manual, Section 14.16, defines a motor home as a "self propelled vehicles constructed with built in kitchens, sleeping facilities, etc. The body of a motor home is designed so when attached to the chassis, the body completely envelops or covers the chassis and engine of the motor home vehicle." Notice how the definition only lists specific facilities as examples rather than requirements. There are no requirements listed in the entire manual.

The Texas Motor Vehicle Registration Manual, does not list any requirements to be considered a motor home either. An exhaustive search for "motor home" shows that all they are concerned with is that the vehicle should be registered as a passenger vehicle rather than a commercial vehicle.

So, I guess that's it. Make my van look homey, take some pictures, fill out a "Rebuilt Vehicle Statement, Form VTR-61" explaining the modifications and that the vehicle is now a motor home, and away I go.

Sounds reasonable to me, I hope that's all you need. I wouldn't suspect they would make a big deal about it.

When you insure it be sure and tell them it is a motor home, your rates will be very cheap. Mine with Progressive (thru USAA) is only 150 a year. Liability only.

Travel safe out there and let us know how it goes. Bob J.

Confirm that with us once you've done it. Being able to easily reclassify your van would be a big plus when you are choosing a state as a domicile.
Bob

Will do, Bob. Though out will likely be quite a while. I'm so far under water now, I can't even afford a van. So, I'm doing lots of study and research for now.

GrantRobertson said:
Will do, Bob. Though out will likely be quite a while. I'm so far under water now, I can't even afford a van. So, I'm doing lots of study and research for now.
Ever thought of a schoolbus (either long or short) and converting it "out-of-pocket"? You can get a bus fairly cheap still if you are patient and have the cash in hand (I know of a fully converted skoolie in TN for sale for $3500). You just need to get it titled as an RV in order to get (cheapish) insurance. Do a down & dirty conversion (basic facilities depending on where you will park it at) and slowly convert was you live in it. My husband & I moved into our bus when it wasn't much more than a metal tent with a toilet and cold water only to the bathroom sink. We did have the range, the refrigerators and freezer sitting in place and strapped down. And normal residential sized stuff is much cheaper and easier to buy used than RV stuff. It's why we ended up in an RV park (needed bathroom and laundry facilities which are few in Roswell). Now the bus is to the point that all I need is water/electric/sewer hookups and internet/cable. The cable will be replaced with DISH this summer and I will be surviving on open internet signals and mifi while traveling. After I get to where I am going, I can pull into a mobile home park since I don't need any of the extra facilities an Rv offers.

But converting a bus goes against the grain on this forum. Vandwellers look down on skoolies and RVs! :rolleyes: Just read some of the posts where they mention RVers and RV parks. Sooo funny.

compassrose said:
Ever thought of a schoolbus (either long or short) and converting it "out-of-pocket"?

Definitely. However, with my current financial situation, I am stuck living in a spare room in my son's house. The HOA rules in his neighborhood prevent me from even parking a nice RV here, let alone rebuilding a school bus. So, I will start with a cargo van. I eventually hope to move up to a short school bus. I don't need a whole, full-length school bus.

One of the other things I am concerned about is that many RV parks may not allow converted buses. But that is a discussion for another forum site.

Yes, I have gone out to Schoolie.net.

compassrose said:
But converting a bus goes against the grain on this forum. Vandwellers look down on skoolies and RVs! :rolleyes: Just read some of the posts where they mention RVers and RV parks. Sooo funny.

My wife would love to have a converted school bus. RVs and travel trailers we have a few of them and live in them on our own property. I would consider an RV park over a $1000/month apartment!

Spirituallifetime said:
My wife would love to have a converted school bus. RVs and travel trailers we have a few of them and live in them on our own property. I would consider an RV park over a $1000/month apartment!

Where the hell are you staying at a $1000/mo RV site?

I pay $425/mo. My budget is $450/mo.

And I have not had a problem getting the skoolie into any park that I have tried to. I don't think I would be allowed in a $1K/mo park since that is a resort. Nor would I pay that. I have seen a lot of misinformation put out on this forum regarding RV's, skoolies and RV parks. I haven't figured out if it is deliberate, or ignorance of a subject and lifestyle that the posters reject. I have seen more than one post in the winter where the posters will refuse to suggest to a new vandweller that is unprepared for wintering in their new/unfinished van a simple solution to freezing... move into an RV park and plug in some electric heaters until they can get better set up.