Requirements to be considered a Class-B motorhome?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
compassrose said:
Where the hell are you staying at a $1000/mo RV site?

I pay $425/mo. My budget is $450/mo.

And I have not had a problem getting the skoolie into any park that I have tried to. I don't think I would be allowed in a $1K/mo park since that is a resort. Nor would I pay that. I have seen a lot of misinformation put out on this forum regarding RV's, skoolies and RV parks. I haven't figured out if it is deliberate, or ignorance of a subject and lifestyle that the posters reject. I have seen more than one post in the winter where the posters will refuse to suggest to a new vandweller that is unprepared for wintering in their new/unfinished van a simple solution to freezing... move into an RV park and plug in some electric heaters until they can get better set up.

Ummm... Reread the post. It says 1000/month apartment. Look before you leap!!!

compassrose said:
Where the hell are you staying at a $1000/mo RV site?

I pay $425/mo. My budget is $450/mo.

And I have not had a problem getting the skoolie into any park that I have tried to. I don't think I would be allowed in a $1K/mo park since that is a resort. Nor would I pay that. I have seen a lot of misinformation put out on this forum regarding RV's, skoolies and RV parks. I haven't figured out if it is deliberate, or ignorance of a subject and lifestyle that the posters reject. I have seen more than one post in the winter where the posters will refuse to suggest to a new vandweller that is unprepared for wintering in their new/unfinished van a simple solution to freezing... move into an RV park and plug in some electric heaters until they can get better set up.

$1000/ month is for the rent on apartments in Elko, NV. But right now I'm on my own land with a payment of $158/month! I think RV sites are in the $400 range. Anyway I wouldn't pay $1000/month for anything right now, I would rather stay down at the river for free.

Another question, if you do this change - how much (and in what direction) does your yearly registration and inspection costs change?

Paisley

GrantRobertson said:
Well, I think I have found what I was looking for. And the answer is...

Nothing.

Apparently there are no real requirements for a van, trailer, or bus conversion to be considered a motor home in Texas. You just tell them that is what it is when you register it and show them some pictures that indicate what modifications you have made.

Here is what I found:

The Texas Motor Vehicle Title Manual, Section 14.16, defines a motor home as a "self propelled vehicles constructed with built in kitchens, sleeping facilities, etc. The body of a motor home is designed so when attached to the chassis, the body completely envelops or covers the chassis and engine of the motor home vehicle." Notice how the definition only lists specific facilities as examples rather than requirements. There are no requirements listed in the entire manual.

The Texas Motor Vehicle Registration Manual, does not list any requirements to be considered a motor home either. An exhaustive search for "motor home" shows that all they are concerned with is that the vehicle should be registered as a passenger vehicle rather than a commercial vehicle.

So, I guess that's it. Make my van look homey, take some pictures, fill out a "Rebuilt Vehicle Statement, Form VTR-61" explaining the modifications and that the vehicle is now a motor home, and away I go.

Also, the fact that Texas has no income tax is a plus.

Paisley

akrvbob said:
Confirm that with us once you've done it. Being able to easily reclassify your van would be a big plus when you are choosing a state as a domicile.
Bob

Paisley777 said:
Another question, if you do this change - how much (and in what direction) does your yearly registration and inspection costs change?

That, I don't know, as of yet. I will let you know when I find out.

cdiggy said:
Ummm... Reread the post. It says 1000/month apartment. Look before you leap!!!

I would consider an RV park over a $1000/month apartment!
My apologies. I read that as you considered an RV park to be an over A $1K/mo apartment.

Registration and Inspection will remain the same. I had to do both when I bought mine, I bought from an individual so when I registered it I had to pay the tax on it and the standard fee for the plate. Same with inspection. If it's a class a or c you might have to find a place that will do it, but the costs are regulated by the State.

Hope you can get started working on one soon, best of luck.. Bob J.

wow 1,000 a month for an apartment in Elko. must have something to do with all the gold mining activities to the west and southwest. highdesertranger