Recommending Homesteading Forum Topic

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you want to see an added topic to the forum entitled: HOMESTEADING / LAND OWNING

• YES

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • NO

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The idea of living in a van, RV or tiny home has occurred to many people. Unfortunately, what you can live in even if you own the land, is limited by local laws.

Laws are created by politicians. Politicians are owned, operated and paid off by people who want control. Those people want control over people below them, directing what they can and cannot do, for maximum profit to the controllers. At this point in time, that tends to force landowners to live in homes of certain sizes (around here, there's a minimum of 400 sq ft). The controllers friends also want to force you to buy septic systems, sewer systems, on-grid power, etc. To have those systems installed, you have to pay the political systems for permits to install each and every one of those, plus the inspections to make sure they're up to code. Then they tax you on what they forced you to buy.

That's why so many people are living in vans.

bobbert said:
Any chance of adding a forum topic for the subject of HOMESTEADING / LAND OWNING ?

Totally completely off-topic, but...
My brother's nickname was Bobbert :D

My grandmother always called him Bob, but he'd throw a fit and demand to be called Robert (which was his name).
So eventually she just started calling him "Bobbert".

I just got called "Hey you".

:) I think there are several folks here who garden and can and travel part time.  I'm a old The Mother Earth News fan and have a copy of the first issue in 1970 if I remember correctly.  Also have read Living the Good Life and Leaving The Good Life by Helen and Scott Nearing  and Ruth Stouts I Hate to Work Garden Book from the 1970s.  Read and keep the good ones.  I have books with more miles on them than my sisters 3yr old Sante FE!

You could always start a thread??

Jewellann

There are plenty of homesteading forums out there. this particular forum pertains to mobile dwellings.

:huh:  I live in an apartment.  Do I need to go?

Jewellann

Txjaybird said:
:huh:  I live in an apartment.  Do I need to go?

Jewellann

no...just don't expect Bob to create a subforum titled "Pre-mobile Apartment Dwelling"...that would open up a can of worms. Then the condo dwellers would want their own category, the Duplex Dwellers would revolt, and the Trailer Park People would...ehh, they probably don't have computers anyway.

This is one of the reasons reddit's user-driven sub(forum) creation is such a successful model, low barrier-to-entry user generated content categories - the weak ones die out and the the strong survive, far more efficient than traditional forum hierarchies with artificial moderator/admin barriers. User's can discuss broadly related topics without leaving a single site by self-designing the community they are participating in. It's basically Darwinian natural selection for conversations! :D

I answered no as the title, and character of this site does not reflect that.
Mike R

AngryVanMan said:
This is one of the reasons reddit's user-driven sub(forum) creation is such a successful model, low barrier-to-entry user generated content categories - the weak ones die out and the the strong survive, far more efficient than traditional forum hierarchies with artificial moderator/admin barriers.  User's can discuss broadly related topics without leaving a single site by self-designing the community they are participating in.  It's basically Darwinian natural selection for conversations! :D

And yet, aside from following a Google search result, I never go there by choice... for all the reasons listed  ;)

cyndi said:
There are plenty of homesteading forums out there. this particular forum pertains to mobile dwellings.

It's understandable that mobile dwellings are the main theme of Bob's entire forum, yet, a while back, Bob did mention in his blog the idea of (what I thought was entitled) Homesteading...However, how many other forums have themes related to vehicle dwelling on homestead land? 

***Where I own land, no laws exist r/e mandatory installation of septic or any related-type of zoning issues (except the EPA). 
Matter of factly, given that the region of where my land is, many hunters + anglers throughout the entire year have trucks, vans, unhitched campers etc. etc. + other modes of engine-powered transportation to which they sleep in for months at a time! 

On a side note, my land is in the Appalachian region (WVA). 
I'm not including my exact locale, since I don't want users herein bothering me to stay on my land.

What about 2,600 sq ft suburban homes? :p

bobbert said:
 my land is in the central Appalachian region (not New York, not Virginia, not N. Carolina). 
I'm not including my locale, since I don't want users herein bothering me to stay on my land.

Too late, you narrowed it too much and I figured out where you are. Hope you don't mind if I drop by this weekend? Will you have cold beers on hand? I like beer...

I don't see it. A topic like homesteading would be huge, because there are so many aspects to it. No way it would fit in one forum. It would require an entire board, just the way mobile living does.

That said, it's not my decision. I'm only voicing my opinion as a member that has no interest in homesteading.

bobbert said:
On a side note, my land is in the Appalachian region (WVA). 
I'm not including my exact locale, since I don't want users herein bothering me to stay on my land.

Them damn users :huh:  They just muck it up for everyone :mad:

Jewellann

cyndi said:
I don't see it. A topic like homesteading would be huge, because there are so many aspects to it. No way it would fit in one forum. It would require an entire board, just the way mobile living does.

Acknowledged, yet perhaps assigning another title to the topic of the forum would narrow it down to vehicle dwelling on a land-owned property. I have yet to see (in my limited exposure to those-other "Homesteading" forums) anything that relates to vehicle dwelling on property land w/o houses or "improvements"!  
Users could collaborate on how + what works for them with ideas on penny-pinching (frugal living) along with, natural resource conservation etc. etc. 

Bobbert: "Where I own land, no laws exist r/e mandatory installation of septic or any related-type of zoning issues (except the EPA)."

I suspect that places like that are a rather rare exception, from what I've heard. The control freaks have all the other land under their thumbs.

If there was a forum for you, everyone else would be jealous!

Bobert, we have three people her who own land, one has a cabin and an rv, the other has a cabin, and I have a shed and an rv, we each have our own threads, though mine is almost totally dead due to lack of progress
just go to 'other conversions, post a thread re your situation, and post questions, those whop may have answers will not snub you just because you're stationary

Status
Not open for further replies.