Recommendation for a Van rig for solo traveller?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, it's been a while.
Time for some update :)
My transmission is repaired and van seem to run fine now (knock on the wood!).

I've started conversion process and since it's a first time doing it I feel confused (and excited).

IMG_0489.JPG

What I've done:
1) Purchased some stuff: 
- GoalZero Yeti 400: No solar power, will charge it from car charger (http://www.goalzero.com/p/165/goal-zero-yeti-400-solar-generator)
- Smoke alarm
- Carbone monoxide alarm
- Portable toilet 
-  Zinus 14 Inch SmartBase Mattress Foundation
- Signature Sleep Memoir - 8" Memory Foam Mattress
- RoadPro RPSC-857 12-Volt Tornado Fan (for ventilation, for now)
2) Started removing plastic. I've been thinking that I will leave all the plastic initially and then I realized how much wasted space it is and how useless it is, that I'd better remove some of it. BTW, does this plastic provide any insulation at all? Or it's as just as good as without it.. Looking at how it was attached to van, seems like it was useless to me..

IMG_1972.JPG
IMG_1976.JPG

I need some space to attach drawers and stuff and removing the plastic there seemed to be the best idea.
But.. Can I get rid of this ventilation system in the rear, does it mean a lot of work to remove it? Seems useless to me.

3) Removed one seat row (one more left). I removed it, posted for sale and nobody is really interested in it except for free. Most likely I'll either give it for free or just drop at some junkyard.. And then another row, probably the same fate for it.

4) Tried bed foundation, it seem like to occupy nearly the whole van when one seat row is left. I need to get rid of both seat rows I guess. Also, what is the best way to attach it to the floor?

IMG_1861.JPG

So, what I'm trying to achieve.. I want something like mentioned build above, with minimal insulation and work. Just a bed, few drawers attached to left and right sides of the van, curtains and minimal insulation. And I don't want to remove floor carpet and roof stuff.
Still have a lot to do, any recommendations? Does partial removal of plastic makes sense?

Attachments

• IMG_0489.JPG
    IMG_0489.JPG
    456.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1972.JPG
    IMG_1972.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1976.JPG
    IMG_1976.JPG
    332.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1861.JPG
    IMG_1861.JPG
    265.5 KB · Views: 10
DeemounUS said:
- GoalZero Yeti 400: No solar power, will charge it from car charger . . .

Just a general observation.  Most people badly underestimate just how much driving is needed to recharge something like this from their engine alternator.  The cigarette lighter socket these things are designed to plug into really limits the amount of amps that can flow.

Not saying don't try it.  Just saying have a Plan B in mind for if (when) you discover it ain't working.

Good luck with it.

I have a van conversion with very little insulation. I am considering using the existing interior panels to hold in place plastic bags filled with cellulose. About the only downside to cellulose is it will absorb moisture. The plastic bags should take care of that.

There is a post on this forum somewhere by a guy who bought a van and outfitted it quickly with a cot and some ways to store things, etc. I don't believe he followed through, but the idea was to do the proper build out as he actually lived in it. Insulation, some sort of paneling and a permanent bed, etc. It could get pretty hectic during the various steps of course. And off gassing from new materials could be problematic, some material may need some venting time for the smells to go away.

jonthebru said:
There is a post on this forum somewhere by a guy who bought a van and outfitted it quickly with a cot and some ways to store things, etc. I don't believe he followed through, but the idea was to do the proper build out as he actually lived in it. Insulation, some sort of paneling and a permanent bed, etc. It could get pretty hectic during the various steps of course. And off gassing from new materials could be problematic, some material may need some venting time for the smells to go away.

Probably I'm also going to follow the same route. I need something simple for now. Don't really want a lot of those fancy ideas where I'll spend a lot of money on the build for not much of the value. I don't need a great van look, it should just serve the purpose.

BTW, how feasible is to sell a van later on (if I decide so) without interior plastic in seats? I guess many people will not want van like that?

jonthebru said:
There is a post on this forum somewhere by a guy who bought a van and outfitted it quickly with a cot and some ways to store things, etc. I don't believe he followed through, but the idea was to do the proper build out as he actually lived in it. 

That is pretty much what I did. When I did the original fitting out, I set up everything as cheaply and primitively as possible, intending to upgrade stuff one item at a time later. 

Instead, once I got out on the road, I found that either (1) I wasn't using a particular item very much anyway and didn't need it, or (2) the primitive version of the item I already had was doing the job just fine and didn't need to be replaced. I ended up getting a cot (I was originally sleeping on a foam mat), and will soon be replacing my mixing-bowl sink with a plastic molded "fish-cleaning" sink. But 2 years later the setup I have now is pretty much the same one I had when I started.

(I have no insulation at all and no plans for any, since I go south for the winter and never face really cold temps.)

Pics of the interior of my van as it is at the moment:

https://lennyflank.wordpress.com/2017/05/10/my-van-interior/

lenny flank said:
That is pretty much what I did. When I did the original fitting out, I set up everything as cheaply and primitively as possible, intending to upgrade stuff one item at a time later. 

Instead, once I got out on the road, I found that either (1) I wasn't using a particular item very much anyway and didn't need it, or (2) the primitive version of the item I already had was doing the job just fine and didn't need to be replaced. I ended up getting a cot (I was originally sleeping on a foam mat), and will soon be replacing my mixing-bowl sink with a plastic molded "fish-cleaning" sink. But 2 years later the setup I have now is pretty much the same one I had when I started.

(I have no insulation at all and no plans for any, since I go south for the winter and never face really cold temps.)

Pics of the interior of my van as it is at the moment:

https://lennyflank.wordpress.com/2017/05/10/my-van-interior/
Simplicity at it's best!

jonthebru said:
Simplicity at it's best!

Function over form.  I don't really care what it looks like--as long as it does the job I want it to do.
:cool: