Recommendation for a Van rig for solo traveller?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drysailor said:
There's not that much difference in MPG among the full size vans that have real towing ability. But it's not like a 2-week vacation where you might want to get in all the driving you can. The newer Euro-centric vans claim better MPG, but are far more costly than used Big 3 vans & may not be that useful for towing, if that happens to be in your plans.. Many feel MPG concerns are overrated. On your other points:
1. I don't think window vans are cheaper. You might check kbb.com, but I saw about a $2-3K increase of window over cargo. Window vans often come with amenities that cargo vans don't - I just couldn't find "gently" used cargo vans, so I went window. Many of the used cargo vans I found were really beat up, and none had any reliable maintenance records.
2. insurance should be based mostly on the value of the vehicle, your record, and where/how you're using it (unless there's some factor connected to    the 'commercial" nature of cargo vans). There are few insurance companies that will insure an owner conversion as an RV.
3. blending in? Think a slightly dirty cargo van would be better.
Take some more time, keep reading thru the forums.

Actually, in are where I live I see that there are much more window vans available and price is actually cheaper than cargo vans (cargo vans price are going for like $12-13K with 150K milage and more, that's crazy).
I'm about to buy Chevy Express 3500 LS (passenger), put a deposit already to lock vehicle for myself and if mechanic says all good - then I'll take it. 
After looking for almost 3 months/test driving/etc I can't wait to start converting and making something out of it.
As of not buying in another state - it would probably make my search even longer, and even though it can save me a bit of money - that might slow down the process.

Again, appreciate all the help here. After all depressing thoughts around (people talking that I'm just crazy with that whole idea) - I feel some relief :)

DeemounUS said:
Actually, in are where I live I see that there are much more window vans available and price is actually cheaper than cargo vans (cargo vans price are going for like $12-13K with 150K milage and more, that's crazy).
I'm about to buy Chevy Express 3500 LS (passenger), put a deposit already to lock vehicle for myself and if mechanic says all good - then I'll take it. 
After looking for almost 3 months/test driving/etc I can't wait to start converting and making something out of it.
As of not buying in another state - it would probably make my search even longer, and even though it can save me a bit of money - that might slow down the process.

Again, appreciate all the help here. After all depressing thoughts around (people talking that I'm just crazy with that whole idea) - I feel some relief :)

Congrats Dee- and don't think you're crazy just because someone else didn't tell you to do this. But keep reading thru the other forums on this site as you go. I've never seen so much good stuff on camper vans anywhere else, so many good posters who have actually done it themselves.

From my experience I would try something like a high top conversion van.
I would personally stay away from all mini vans( Low long term reliability, I consider them throw away vehicles.).
Depending on how handy you are, a conversion van can be turn into a class B.
Registration, Insurance, maintenance will be cheaper, because the title says its an unfinished van.
I would stick to a V-8, if you are planning to weigh it down.
Its easier to do stealth camping and all camp sites will allow them.
Most of the wiring is already done and they all have a rear row of seats that convert into a bed.
Remove the 2 row of seats and you can add a fridge and sink.
Most come already pre-wired with tv's and dc-ac inverter's.
The 2nd happiest day of my life was when I got a class B, the happiest day of my life, was when I sold it to the next sucker.
A conversion can always be used as your main vehicle, anything bigger and its going to get expensive.
If you don't like the lifestyle they are a lot easier to unload and retain their value better.

You all have given the OP some very good points (thanks to all) on the choice of older technology but reliable full sized vans vs newer technology, better gas mileage, more room but worse than average repairs Euro vans.  For a single traveler, I'd have to go window van or mid top conversion (gutted) or maybe a 2010 or newer cargo with a high top added.  I lurked on the Promaster and Connect forums and I'd say the Promaster owners were much unhappier as a group. Spend an evening on each one.

As far as a full sized newer year (2010 and up) Ford or GM cargo/window product, there's so many in use, that has to mean something... parts and service are quite common and easy to find like others have said.

Figure your average miles driven and divide by 14 for a full sized and 22 for a euro.  That's probably going to show you that gas alone isn't the main factor. Then look at the residual depreciation loss on the 2014 and up euro's and the extra cost to buy... You'd likely save thousands upon thousands. 

Its all in what you want and how comfortable you are with each ones drive and overall room.  I can tell you that anything over the smallest Ford Connect looks terribly out of place in a neighborhood and the sheer newness of the style of the Connect low roof still draws second and third glances. YMMV...

This world isn said:
You all have given the OP some very good points (thanks to all) on the choice of older technology but reliable full sized vans vs newer technology, better gas mileage, more room but worse than average repairs Euro vans.  For a single traveler, I'd have to go window van or mid top conversion (gutted) or maybe a 2010 or newer cargo with a high top added.  I lurked on the Promaster and Connect forums and I'd say the Promaster owners were much unhappier as a group. Spend an evening on each one.

As far as a full sized newer year (2010 and up) Ford or GM cargo/window product, there's so many in use, that has to mean something... parts and service are quite common and easy to find like others have said.

Figure your average miles driven and divide by 14 for a full sized and 22 for a euro.  That's probably going to show you that gas alone isn't the main factor. Then look at the residual depreciation loss on the 2014 and up euro's and the extra cost to buy... You'd likely save thousands upon thousands. 

Its all in what you want and how comfortable you are with each ones drive and overall room.  I can tell you that anything over the smallest Ford Connect looks terribly out of place in a neighborhood and the sheer newness of the style of the Connect low roof still draws second and third glances. YMMV...

Duh, everywhere I said Ford Connect I meant Ford Transit, the Connect is the very small delivery van not the full sized vehicle.  My mistake...

Update: So, I've bought 2006 Chevy Express 3500 (passenger). This price feels on higher end, but hopefully it will be a good purchase anyway in a long run.

I'm thinking about where should I start with the conversion itself: removing seats and trying it like this or ripping everything from it and doing from scratch.
Also, I was wondering: is this plastic inside kinda toxic? Can it make some bad health impact in the long run, what do you guys think?

DeemounUS said:
Update: So, I've bought 2006 Chevy Express 3500 (passenger). This price feels on higher end, but hopefully it will be a good purchase anyway in a long run.

I'm thinking about where should I start with the conversion itself: removing seats and trying it like this or ripping everything from it and doing from scratch.
Also, I was wondering: is this plastic inside kinda toxic? Can it make some bad health impact in the long run, what do you guys think?

I approve of this van. 
First look for problems, really. If you haven't done the carfax, do it, it may have some helpful details.
Bob's You Tube channel has some really good tours of vans with great ideas. If you have the money and the van is good enough you can have a high roof installed for about $1500.00.
That all depends on if you feel 1500.00 is worth it for some headroom.
If you do remove whatever is in it, take it off carefully in case some pieces may be usable later, trim, etc. It's yours now though so you can do whatever you want. 
There was a post several years a go about creating essentially an instant RV by using off the shelf things like a cot as a bed and plastic drawers from Walmart. If you did something like that you could sleep in it and figure out what is best for your lifestyle. Need a basic or a fancy kitchen? Sit there and design it!
Solar and extra battery power would be at the top of my list.

This has been a really good thread, lots of valuable information on the different van models.

This world isn said:
Duh, everywhere I said Ford Connect I meant Ford Transit, the Connect is the very small delivery van not the full sized vehicle.  My mistake...

It's not your fault.  It's Ford's fault for naming different platforms Transit and Transit Connect (and FCA for naming theirs Promaster and Promaster City).   Makes craigslist and ebay searches because even owners/sellers are confused.

jonthebru said:
Bob's You Tube channel has some really good tours of vans with great ideas. If you have the money and the van is good enough you can have a high roof installed for about $1500.00.
That all depends on if you feel 1500.00 is worth it for some headroom.

Are people really getting high roofs installed for $1500?  That would be a killer deal IMO, a no-brainer unless one is going for stealth.

Any high roof (18-24" basically, some more) for that price is coming from a salvage yard or a donor vehicle. New (I think that Fiberine is the company that gives online prices) you are looking at probably $3500-4500 installed. Thats for a regular length van, add more for the extended and anything taller, lined/finished off inside, lighted, reinforced with plywood, etc.  There's several options you can get, just like with truck toppers. Still, it may be the better way to go, get the height you want/style/extra's. You've got a lot less in that combination than people do in their newer tall roofed Euro vans. 

What you bought in a van is a very solid platform to start with. Pull the seats (passenger version) and go the Walmart or thriftstore camping route - a camp cot, a foamy or 3" memory foam on top, a used dresser or some used furniture "L" bracketed down to a piece of 3/4" 4x8' CDX on the floor, all camping gear (Coleman type) and some window blocks (search "window blocks" or look on the insulation sub-forum). That will give you a start. Later you design your 2x2" or 2x4" platform bed frame with underneath storage, a sideboard hutch cabinet piece, etc...

Undoubtably you will need a toilet of some kind, choose from a "Luggable Loo" brand 5 gallon bucket to a portable cassette toilet (Amazon has reviews on all this equipment even if you don't buy from there) as well as (BPA free) bulk water containers, a variety of lighting (from puck lights to LED battery powered lanterns) and the rest.  

I've been compiling a wish list on Amazon from reading forum posts and adding everything that looks interesting. Its up to over 60 items now, some are duplicates but all are from others hard-won experience. (Thanks to you forum members willing to share links and ideas).

Visit the electrical sub-forum for all the battery, charging and solar info you will ever want.   :idea:  (That sub-forum is friendlier than most other solar forums, if you want flaming entertainment look up some marine forums or grid-tie solar ones...)

Anyway, you did well, Bob Wells had much the same rig and he endorses GM products. Does your 3500 have the 5.3 or the 6.0?  Both are good, 6.0 just thirstier.  :shy:

Pics when you have time, again, good solid choice you made!  :)

frater secessus said:
Are people really getting high roofs installed for $1500?  That would be a killer deal IMO, a no-brainer unless one is going for stealth.

Somehow I had pegged it at that price, it's more like twice that, 3,000 or more. This is one place but no prices are mentioned. I must have seen it in a blog or on a video.

http://www.fiberine.com/GVMR/Home.html

ArtW said:

Thanks! That's great ideas, I'll definitely try to use one of those. 
Now to the sad part, I got my "Check engine light" on (Replace transmission solenoid and wiring harness). Ironically, it happened after a fuel up and changing engine oil (transmission oil is not changed yet).
But OBD scanner shows P0894 "Transmission component slipping" which is something that I'm quite worried. Getting my car to this dealer, hopefully they can do something about it apart from resetting this code... I hope it doesn't mean that tranny rebuild/replacement is needed..

Here is a photo of the van, attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0450.JPG
    IMG_0450.JPG
    485.1 KB · Views: 7
So I took the car to dealership where I have bought it.
They checked with their mechanic and he says the issue is with clutch pack.
I'm located in CA and price to fix this on my 4L80E transmission would be around 2K, but dealer agrees to pay 50% of it.
So my pay would be around 1K for that. Does it sound reasonable? I'm not yet sure are they actually going to replace just those clutches, or rebuild the transmission. They promised that mechanic will also give 1yr/12.000 miles warranty on it.

So that's how it is. I really want to fix up this van and get out of the CA :) Hopefully few months till I finish those things and hit the road.

Suggest starting another thread to focus on the issue; you will get more input. Best of luck!

[EDIT] I noticed you started another thread. :)

CautionToTheWind said:
Suggest starting another thread to focus on the issue; you will get more input. Best of luck!

[EDIT] I noticed you started another thread. :)

Yeah, I did. I'm probably spamming a bit  :D Just desperate to be on the road I guess, apologies)

This world isn said:
Any high roof (18-24" basically, some more) for that price is coming from a salvage yard or a donor vehicle. New (I think that Fiberine is the company that gives online prices) you are looking at probably $3500-4500 installed. Thats for a regular length van, add more for the extended and anything taller, lined/finished off inside, lighted, reinforced with plywood, etc.  There's several options you can get, just like with truck toppers. Still, it may be the better way to go, get the height you want/style/extra's.  You've got a lot less in that combination than people do in their newer tall roofed Euro vans. 

What you bought in a van is a very solid platform to start with. Pull the seats (passenger version) and go the Walmart or thriftstore camping route - a camp cot, a foamy or 3" memory foam on top, a used dresser or some used furniture "L" bracketed down to a piece of 3/4" 4x8' CDX on the floor, all camping gear (Coleman type) and some window blocks (search "window blocks" or look on the insulation sub-forum). That will give you a start. Later you design your 2x2" or 2x4" platform bed frame with underneath storage, a sideboard hutch cabinet piece, etc...

Undoubtably you will need a toilet of some kind, choose from a "Luggable Loo" brand 5 gallon bucket to a portable cassette toilet (Amazon has reviews on all this equipment even if you don't buy from there) as well as (BPA free) bulk water containers, a variety of lighting (from puck lights to LED battery powered lanterns) and the rest.  

I've been compiling a wish list on Amazon from reading forum posts and adding everything that looks interesting. Its up to over 60 items now, some are duplicates but all are from others hard-won experience. (Thanks to you forum members willing to share links and ideas).

Visit the electrical sub-forum for all the battery, charging and solar info you will ever want.   :idea:  (That sub-forum is friendlier than most other solar forums, if you want flaming entertainment look up some marine forums or grid-tie solar ones...)

Anyway, you did well, Bob Wells had much the same rig and he endorses GM products. Does your 3500 have the 5.3 or the 6.0?  Both are good, 6.0 just thirstier.  :shy:

Pics when you have time, again, good solid choice you made!  :)

Thanks. All a good plan once it returns from the garage. Didn't expect that transmission thing to break, I've heard the 3500 transmission is super strong... Oh well..
My 3500 has 6L engine. In fact, most of those that I see around here are 6L.
Again, that's my first rig so I want to get at least 100K out of it, 150K would be great though. And the more I look - the more ideas about vans I see around. Seems like the vandwelling creativity is endless :)

have them check the shift solenoids while they're in there, there seems to be have been some issues with those in the early 2000s, at least on the pickups, discovered that while researching a 3500 Silverado I was looking at that would 'kick' around 55-55 MPH
Didn't buy that truck, the solenoid is an easy fix, but it already had a leak at either the front main seal or the oil pan