Rebuild 91 Dodge short van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
steamjam1 said:
The question is: Would I let my 75 year old mother drive a 250HP Dodge Dart? No. She can barely handle her 90hp Nissan Sentra.

I once owned a 67 camaro who's first owner bought it for her 75th birthday.  

She got two tickets her first day with that car.  Speeding, and Exhibition.   

Little old lady from Pasadena!   :D

GotSmart said:
The motor was almost installed when I bought it.  I just did it right.  

That first series of 318 were over engineered.  Later models were lighter because Dodge took some casting thickness out.

It had a V6 that blew up.

That motor was what they got.

So the 318LA is the lighter motor correct?  Wikipedia says Dodge took off 50 lbs from the previous version to the LA motor.

Bluegrass Voyager said:
So the 318LA is the lighter motor correct?  Wikipedia says Dodge took off 50 lbs from the previous version to the LA motor.

Correct. The old A318 is a wide-block, and the LA318 is a small-block.

steamjam1 said:
Correct. The old A318 is a wide-block, and the LA318 is a small-block.

Over the years they found ways to make things lighter.  

The "A" heads had opposing valves.  On the LA they are in line.  They continued on making the heads even lighter, (production costs and deadweight) This was ignored with the changes in fuel delivery, and the mass of "smog" control tubing.  

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/318.html

GotSmart said:
The "A" heads had opposing valves.  On the LA they are in line.  They continued on making the heads even lighter, (production costs and deadweight) This was ignored with the changes in fuel delivery, and the mass of "smog" control tubing.  

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/318.html

I'm quite happy with the 318 in my 2003 Dodge van. I guess it's the LA 318?

Ballenxj said:
I'm quite happy with the 318 in my 2003 Dodge van. I guess it's the LA 318?

Yep its an LA.

Yeah the LA went though alot of changes over 30+ years to accommodate emissions controls (Mostly in the heads, intake and lower compression pistons), CAFE standards, low octane fuel, and made different performance versions. (340, AAR, V10, super commando, etc etc etc)

In the end, the small block Chrysler is a fantastic engine.

steamjam1 said:
Yeah the LA went though alot of changes over 30+ years to accommodate emissions controls (Mostly in the heads, intake and lower compression pistons), CAFE standards, low octane fuel, and made different performance versions. (340, AAR, V10, super commando, etc etc etc)
It's interesting that my 318 is a member of the same family that includes the likes of 340, AAR 340, and the Viper V10? I can just imagine having a V10 in my van.
For the record I once owned a 340 Cuda. Ex wife got that in the divorce, and totally wrecked it. :(

Ballenxj said:
It's interesting that my 318 is a member of the same family that includes the likes of 340, AAR 340, and the Viper V10? I can just imagine having a V10 in my van.
For the record I once owned a 340 Cuda. Ex wife got that in the divorce, and totally wrecked it. :(

That is the reason I sold the 67 Camaro RS/SS.  The soon to be ex was a crappy driver, and I still loved her enough to not want her dead.  :heart:

ANY WAY~~~ 

The van is running like a dream.  Still working out the final bubbles of air in the cooling system, but it is purring like a happy cat,  Especially with that duel exhaust.  :D  Tomorrow more pictures on the "Selling the short van" thread.  After I hit the car wash.   :cool:

GotSmart said:
The van is running like a dream.  Still working out the final bubbles of air in the cooling system, but it is purring like a happy cat,  Especially with that duel exhaust.  :D  Tomorrow more pictures on the "Selling the short van" thread.  After I hit the car wash.   :cool:

NICE! Photos are always good too. :cool:
My brother once had a 67 RS SS Camaro. It had a 4 speed trans and a 327. Also had the hide away headlights.  It was a CHERRY. Remember that word? :p

GotSmart said:
I went out and purchased 2 sheets of Polyiso.  One 1/2 inch, and 1 1 inch.  I cut the 1 inch down to fit inside the window squares, then spray painted them black.
Going back through this thread to pick up things I missed, I had another look at how you finished your interior. You did one heck of a job!
I like the wood, and it looks great! :)