Rear Doors

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limmkr

Reaction score
I'm just starting on my 97 Savana and the rear left door keeps popping open. Not all the way, but like to the first latch.  I hope that's not common! The right door also doesn't seem to seal well either. Any advice?

sounds like your lock is worn out, or your hinges are worn out, or your door is out of alignment. has it ever had body damage anywhere near the rear door? is the door lose on the hinge? can you rattle the door open yourself by garbing the handle and shaking. let me rephrase that you probably don't have a handle. is there anything on the door you can grab and shake the door. doesn't the right door open first and must be open to open the left door? highdesertranger

Yes, Rt door opens first, then Lt. They line up pretty good and doesn't appear to have had any damage, pretty solid when lifted up and down. The Lt, when latched, still has about 1/4" that I can push the top in, feels secure, but I can push it in. The Rt one, the same, but more so. I'm not sure if that's the rubber seals, or worn latches?

May be just very badly adjusted door latches.

My 2002, the left door latches on to a top and a bottom latch plate that is held on to the body of the van by a couple of small bolts. Look very carefully and you will probably see where the area surrounding the bolt shows different paint colors where the original position has sun fade around it.

You can loosen off those adjusting bolts very slightly and then move the latch inwards, tighten well and try the door. Adjust about an 1/8" at a time if that much.

Once you have the door adjusted as well as you can get it then and only then can you start checking to see if the door seals well. You can take strips of regular paper and close the door on them and try tugging them out. The true test is a heavy rainstorm.

I had to have mine adjusted because they leaked in heavy rain. Fortunately, now that I'm moved out west, I have a kid who has all that knowledge... :D  so I just had to stand and watch it being done!

If they still leak after a heavy rain (or a good test with a hose) then it's time to either beef up the weatherstripping or replace it, depending on its' condition. Beefing it up can take some ingenuity but the starting point is getting the door latches properly adjusted.

For reference, there is zero play on the left rear door of my '07 Express (the Savana's twin). If I push hard, the right door will move in about 1/16 inch. So, as suggested, the catches on the left door probably need to be adjusted inward a bit.

it does sounds like an adjustment issue. I am not there to see it could be the hinges or the locks/strikers. highdesertranger

Thanks guys, tomorrow is a full day to work on van, so I'll check the latches. I thought of the adjustment factor, but it didn't appear that they were moveable. But I'll test that, then the water test.

So the latch was adjusted as far as it could go. So thought I'd order a new one, discontinued from GM, no aftermarket I find. So now what? My door panel is another part GM no longer makes. What do you guys recommend when that comes up?

limmkr said:
So the latch was adjusted as far as it could go. So thought I'd order a new one, discontinued from GM, no aftermarket I find.  So now what?  My door panel is another part GM no longer makes. What do you guys recommend when that comes up?

Did you try Rock Auto?   rockauto.com

It's the latch, that pops open. The doors are fine and those are aligned good. I looked at 98 and they appear to be the same (Hopeful), so I'm gonna try that.

vehicle door latches pop open for several reasons. worn out is one but that is usually the one on the driver door first because it gets used the most. another reason is the latch and/or the door is not adjusted properly and the latch never fully engages, therefore never really locks in place. highdesertranger

Clean and lube the mechanism. Some dirt or debris may be affecting the travel of the latch.
Check how much latch is actually engaging in the strike plate.
You may need a shim under the strike plate?
Check that the gasket is not interfering with door closure?
Check that all bolts and screws are tight?

Also,
These doors can be damaged when left open in the wind. A strong gust can slam the door open and "spring" the hinge or body. There is usually a keeper (strap or metal bracket) to hold the door at a semi- open position, but does not allow for a full swing. If a previous owner took off the keeper and the door got pushed beyond its limits, the hinge or body could have gotten bent, it may be putting tension on the latch.

You may need to take a large hammer and "unbend" the hinge mount.