Barn door weatherstripping

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacqueg

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure where this goes, so I'm sticking it here.

My van has barn doors. Lately, the weatherstripping does not want to stay put. Yes, it's easy to pop it back on, but I do find it annoying. Is there such a thing as an adhesive that will keep it in place, but will also readily release when I want the weatherstripping to release?? Right now, I'm thinking Sugru, but I'm definitely interested in other ideas.

Getting the weather strip and door surface clean is most important. 3M also makes a black weather strip adhesive that you apply to both surfaces and let get tacky then install and temporarily tape til everything completely sets up. Any auto parts store usually stocks it.

I can relate. I bought a tube of Permatex, then returned it. I just can't afford to loose more brain cells. E6000 is pretty hard on them, too. (It was a last resort in costuming, but it does stick!)

Things I tried that didn't work include VHB tape, another double-sided tape from 3M, and ShoeGoo. I tried each of those in small sections. Extreme heat was a factor. You may have better results.

A deep dive into replacements yielded a complete OEM rear seal for my Chevy at around $80. It is a one piece, pressure fit installation, and I found an installation video. Unfortunately, I can't replace mine because the conversion upfitter (Regency) installed upholstered trim panels over the weather strip in places.

So I'm in the "push it back in place" club. If it rains really hard, sometimes it leaks a little. Luckily, it leaks onto the recessed lid of a plastic tote.

You may want to check at a NAPA store and see what they have to offer. (that isn't so toxic and will last once applied) I have a piece lose on the bottom of my passengers door now. What I've found where I live is that in the winter rains the weather strip sticks to the door jam and prying the door open weakens the glue that holds the weather strip.

There is an anti sticking material that comes in a metal tube (like a giant "chap stick") that you apply to your weather stripping which helps to prevent sticking of the rubber weather strip to the metal door frame. There are also other forms of anti sticking material available also. Some people use WD-40.

Lube Stick

The weather strip adhesive sold in auto parts stores works great. They also sell respirator mask. The solvent in the adhesive is a volitile organic compound. That means it dries very rapidly and the harmful VOC component is totally evaporated and gone away into the air in just a couple of minutes. Working outside in the wide open air for a just few minutes of time you are at zero risk long term brain damage from fixing those loose areas even if you do not put on a respirator.

Maybe you do not realize that rubbing alcohol is also a VOC. So is the gasoline you pump into your car. You get lots of VOC exposure over your life time. Brain cells die and new brain cells grow. But using that adhesive in the open air to fix your weatherstripping is simply not going to put you at any great risk of loosing a bunch of brain cells.

Get some nitrile gloves at the auto parts store to keep the adhesive off your skin. Pre clean the surfaces you will be applying the adhesive to. Open the tube, apply the small amount of adhesive needed, put the cap back on the tube, press the weatherstrip back into place. Walk away and get on with other chores. Your brain will still be in as good a shape as it was before you started that quick fix because IT IS NOT LONG TERM DAILY EXPOSURE of the type that causes brain damage.

I will be around Quartzsite this winter. If you are too anxious to fix your weatherstripping just show up with a tube of adhesive and I will reattach it for you with no loss of brain cells for either of us as long as you do not try to lecture me on VOC exposure risk. I learned about that, not from the internet, but from sitting through actual classes professionally taught by experts on the subject.

Last edited:
JacqueG

We repaired that plastic Ford threshold at the barndoor with JB Weld......Did the repair survive the-test-of-time ?

Are you/Can you........ coming to the Desert this year ?

JacqueG

We repaired that plastic Ford threshold at the barndoor with JB Weld......Did the repair survive the-test-of-time ?

Are you/Can you........ coming to the Desert this year ?
Yes, the repair is still good!

I don't know for certain yet what my winter plans are. I continue to be camped out in my brother's parking lot. He just got out of isolation for having COVID, which means he kinda has to start over with his brain tumor treatment, since the transport company wouldn't transport him while he had COVID, and the tumors are assumed to have grown since his last MRI. Sigh.

My sister has promised to spell me for the solar eclipse in early April if need be. Other than that, it's very difficult to plan ahead.

His short-term memory is shot, I presume from the pressure on his brain. We don't know yet whether this is permanent damage or not. If permanent, it forecloses the possibility of coming back to his apartment at all. Which is something we've been hoping against hope for. His current quality of life is poor. Once in a while he raises the question of whether he should continue on. It's a very good question. But so far, we are operating under the assumption that the radiation treatment will help, at least for a while.

Life just sucks sometimes.

The weather strip adhesive sold in auto parts stores works great. They also sell respirator mask. The solvent in the adhesive is a volitile organic compound. That means it dries very rapidly and the harmful VOC component is totally evaporated and gone away into the air in just a couple of minutes. Working outside in the wide open air for a just few minutes of time you are at zero risk long term brain damage from fixing those loose areas even if you do not put on a respirator.

Maybe you do not realize that rubbing alcohol is also a VOC. So is the gasoline you pump into your car. You get lots of VOC exposure over your life time. Brain cells die and new brain cells grow. But using that adhesive in the open air to fix your weatherstripping is simply not going to put you at any great risk of loosing a bunch of brain cells.

Get some nitrile gloves at the auto parts store to keep the adhesive off your skin. Pre clean the surfaces you will be applying the adhesive to. Open the tube, apply the small amount of adhesive needed, put the cap back on the tube, press the weatherstrip back into place. Walk away and get on with other chores. Your brain will still be in as good a shape as it was before you started that quick fix because IT IS NOT LONG TERM DAILY EXPOSURE of the type that causes brain damage.

I will be around Quartzsite this winter. If you are too anxious to fix your weatherstripping just show up with a tube of adhesive and I will reattach it for you with no loss of brain cells for either of us as long as you do not try to lecture me on VOC exposure risk. I learned about that, not from the internet, but from sitting through actual classes professionally taught by experts on the subject.
Karen, you know it is far beyond me to lecture you about VOC or anything else mechanical! I appreciate the offer very much, and devoutly hope I'll be able to take advantage of it!

Karen, you know it is far beyond me to lecture you about VOC or anything else mechanical! I appreciate the offer very much, and devoutly hope I'll be able to take advantage of it!
One thing though the weatherstripping glue grips firmly. It is not going to readily release. Because of the location it has to be weather resistant for water, wind and high temperatures too. I do not know of any readily releasable, strong adhesives that work on door gasket materials that meet that criteria.

My 51 year old travel trailer door had obsolete gaskets that slid into a groove. But I was able to modify a modern door gasket for a house to fit it. Hard to know what can be done until I actually see the project and then take a trip to a good hardware store with measurements and photos in hand.

Last edited:
A popular spot for rubber-style deterioration preventative products -- NoTouch, ArmorAll, Meguiar's -- door-gaskets and surrounding metal might be a recipient of those slickerers.
If that is the case, the only way to get them to stick involves time and energy and the proper removal sauce.

A popular spot for rubber-style deterioration preventative products -- NoTouch, ArmorAll, Meguiar's -- door-gaskets and surrounding metal might be a recipient of those slickerers.
If that is the case, the only way to get them to stick involves time and energy and the proper removal sauce.
I've never applied those products, and I've had the van for about 6 years now.

Closer inspection of the gasket reveals minor cracking on some edges, so it is showing its age. Don't wanna apply a mostly permanent adhesive to an aging gasket, so I guess I'm gonna look for a replacement. Stay tuned...

…..
Closer inspection of the gasket reveals minor cracking on some edges, so it is showing its age. Don't wanna apply a mostly permanent adhesive to an aging gasket, so I guess I'm gonna look for a replacement. Stay tuned...
Jacqueg, I will likely be arriving at La Posa South by this coming weekend. Come by when you get there if you need help with that weatherstripping project. I can’t do the big heavy projects like others at Pirate Camp can do, but installing weatherstripping is definitely something I can competently manage 👍