Really, Miles?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GypsyDogs

Reaction score
Miles has been running great..

Went across the next town over..8-10 miles each way, to get some More trim wood for the controller panel.. (sigh)
Hubby bravely came with.
The drive was uneventful
Except for a moment of lack of acceleration up an onramp.. older van..ok..

Got home, parked, then went back out to get groceries..
Started Miles up, and for about half a second..heard the strangest 'kazoo' sound from about the carb area..
then it went away..
slight chish sound, kind of like a belt noise- tone, engine rev dependent.. but van ran fine.

At the store.. went to start the van, to head back home..
Nope
Tried to catch.. then nope.
just cranks..
Pulled dog house.. took off air cleaner.. and mimimal/no gas smell at carb..
sigh

So he got towed to a local shop.. that is, thank god.. old school.  They are a mechanic/resto/machine shop place... not just Jiffi-parts garage.

Hoping it is either fuel pump, filter.. or .. (lol) my fuel gauge is highly inaccurate.....

vanclub.png
first rule of VanClub.. "you don't talk about VanClub"

Attachments

• vanclub.png
    vanclub.png
    7 KB · Views: 8
That sux, but let us know what they find. Hopefully an easy fix.

Hmm ... I've spent a lot of time diagnosing vehicles sight-unseen ... First time I've heard "Kazoo" used to describe an issue though.
Bearing for a pulley comes to mind. Heard them make odd noises when failing. Plus the chish sound. However, that doesn't explain the no start condition.
Which puts us back at the carb though those noises seem odd short of a MAJOR vacuum leak or similar.
I'd have you test a few things but already at the shop sooo ... Let us know what the mechanic says. Good luck.

And drove Fine after noise quit...

Also: mechanic update-. Started right up for them.. sigh. Lol
They will poke around a little..

of course it worked fine for the mechanic. it always does. LOL. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
of course it worked fine for the mechanic.  it always does.  LOL.  highdesertranger

THIS^, lol

Is today really hot where you are? Haven't really played with carbs in years but I've had a vapor lock issue which made some odd noises. Heat increases the odds of vapor locking. 
If the vehicle was left to sit for a bit the vapor lock would "break" and she would start right up like nothing happened. A few things can be done to remedy.