Quit my job, and a new twist!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velojym

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The work I was doing, at a sadly short salary, was killing me.
I decided to up and quit, so I'd maybe make it past 50 alive.
Offered a simple job that paid a fair wage for the work, I was looking forward to spending a few months being a school custodian at my daughter's school. It'd pay less than my previous gig, but it would be fair pay for the work, and no more 24/7 unpaid on-call weeks (which had become every other week).

Then I got a call.

Someone noticed my resume on Indeed, and saw that, though I've been working on computer networks and services over the last 6 years, I had a boatload of trucking experience before that... and still maintain my CDL. I didn't want to get back in to freight hauling, but this is a class 8 drive-away service, delivering all sorts of cool stuff all over the continent. ...and it pays nearly twice what I was making at a desk.

It isn't one of the 1099 outfits. I get a toad to drive between runs, and I am paid hourly for those legs. The actual delivery run pays by the mile.
The company covers a hotel room every night, too.

Living cheaply on the road, as I've done before, I can save up stupid amounts (well, compared to anything I've earned in my lifetime, anyway) of cash, get my student loans paid off... knock out the higher interest ones in the first year... and sock away a bunch for a mobile living solution.
I don't know what sort of amount I'd be wanting to have before leaving, but I'd want to have everything paid off before I go anywhere other than the job (well, other than some vacation trips).

This will serve to open up my options for if/when things fall apart at home. I can keep that job from anywhere in the country, and just plant a trailer somewhere like Coyote Howls, or just use my folks' address in NM for license and stuff, and just stay on the road.

Exciting, but definitely a change from the rut I've been in.

In other news, I've been working to lose weight, and since I started, a month and a half ago, I've dropped about 29 lbs.
Feeling much better, too!

Best news I've heard in months! Great for you! Good luck and hope everything keeps continuing in the best ways!

Is that expedited freight? Sounds better than most of them that run drivers for min wage. Hope that works great for you. Quite a weight loss too for short period of time. Bet you do feel better.

Not any kind of freight, though I did think about getting a van and doing that.

This is drive-away, delivering equipment all over the continent. The only thing I'll be hauling is a toad, which is provided by the company.
And... it pays significantly better than what I was making as a network administrator.