Questions about Grief.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeNeedaChange

Reaction score
Hello. I am new. Not a full timer, but love this site. I was wondering if anyone out there can offer suggestions on how to deal with grief. My Mom died last fall and I am devastated. My Dad is on his own, but I can't be there all the time for him. So I guess I am dealing with both grief and guilt if that makes sense...

So, anyone ever been through this?? Any suggestions on how to keep myself from going off the deep end lol... Health suggestions/stress relief etc?

Thank you for reading.

I used to grieve very deeply and was fearful of my own end.  Both of those things plagued me when I was younger, first big help came in the form of a book I found at a library used book sale down in Florida.  It was Start The Conversation by Ganga Stone, first time I ever read something not steeped in religion that calmly explained about death and how my loved one wasn't really gone.  The second thing that helped me was hearing someone say (maybe in a movie, I don't remember) that all our lives we know we're going to die and yet it still surprises us, no one gets out of here alive.  Just made me realize I was fighting and grieving something that was as natural as breathing, when I stopped fighting and learned to accept the inevitable, it got much easier.

I lost my mom a couple of years ago, and was very sad because I miss her presence, but it didn't wreck me the way it would have in the past.  If there is an afterlife I think she's happy there, if there isn't then she doesn't know that and is resting and no longer suffering.

Thank you so much for the book title. I will have to look it up. Part of the reason it is so hard is that Mom had cancer. Cancer is a thief. It stole my Mom. I know it was going to happen someday, but not like this. Thank you so much for responding.

Sorry to hear of your loss and the stress it is putting you under.   In my own family, which was a large Dairy Farm group,   with me towards the bottom of that number.   I saw some very sad things happen. 

About how old is your Father now?  Will he be able to take care of himself?

One of the things most often heard by family members after a funeral is,   "Everyone was there for me until the funeral and said....let us know if there is anything you need or we can do for you....OK.  Then they were all gone and I was all alone after that".  (where they feel forgotten).    But they had jobs, families of their own, and would have to get caught up with those responsibilities after the funeral.   They didn't mean to desert the bereaved
but grief & sadness distorts a persons ability to think clearly.

So try and take these things into account.   Call frequently,  drop by when you can,  take some comfort foods
by and bear in mind that "Time" is the great cure-all for this great sadness.

WeNeedaChange said:
Thank you so much for the book title. I will have to look it up. Part of the reason it is so hard is that Mom had cancer. Cancer is a thief. It stole my Mom. I know it was going to happen someday, but not like this. Thank you so much for responding.

My mom had cancer too, from diagnosis to death was only two months.  The merry-go-round of emotions this puts us in is breathtaking, and my mom absolutely refused to discuss the end so there was no chance of closure or saying the things that needed to be said... but when it was done and she was gone I just took a few (okay many many) deep breaths and wished her peace.  For me the peace took a little while as I dealt with the unresolved, now never resolved, issues.

I hope you can find a copy of the book and give it a read, it truly helped me, step by step, to get a handle on what I was feeling.

I lost my father in 2015. He had Parkinson's. I'm was so down for the first 6 month, everyone has their own way of dealing with it. My father worked so hard he never got a chance to travel much, kept saying I'll have plenty of time later. Life is so short I tell ya, One way by dealing his passing was going on road trips by myself to clear the air and have some time to reflect. I miss him everyday but I know life must go on. My mom is older now too so I understand the "guilt" feeling when I'm not around. I have two siblings, we don't talk much but for now Mom can handle by herself. I do visit her very often now. Hang in there.

I was 18 the last time I had to deal with serious grief, and 14 the time before that. You don't want to know how I dealt with it! I wish I could offer better advice but I do know that time eventually helps to numb the pain.

eDJ_ said:
Sorry to hear of your loss and the stress it is putting you under.   In my own family, which was a large Dairy Farm group,   with me towards the bottom of that number.   I saw some very sad things happen. 

About how old is your Father now?  Will he be able to take care of himself?

One of the things most often heard by family members after a funeral is,   "Everyone was there for me until the funeral and said....let us know if there is anything you need or we can do for you....OK.  Then they were all gone and I was all alone after that".  (where they feel forgotten).    But they had jobs, families of their own, and would have to get caught up with those responsibilities after the funeral.   They didn't mean to desert the bereaved
but grief & sadness distorts a persons ability to think clearly.

So try and take these things into account.   Call frequently,  drop by when you can,  take some comfort foods
by and bear in mind that "Time" is the great cure-all for this great sadness.

Thank you so much for your kind words. Yes, I call him almost everyday and go over once a week and we have lunch. That is about all I can do. He seems ok and is going to start spending time at the local Senior Center for lunch and card games. So maybe that will help. As for me, I have to accept that I am doing all I can :)

DuneElliot said:
I was 18 the last time I had to deal with serious grief, and 14 the time before that. You don't want to know how I dealt with it! I wish I could offer better advice but I do know that time eventually helps to numb the pain.

Thank you. Yes, time will tell :)

My Dad passed in 2008 at 58. I was 28. Still miss him 8 years later but even though he's gone all the great memories never die. He did many road trips all around the country when he was younger, so after he passed I inherited his 03 Chevy Express van. I threw my mattress in the back, all my hiking and camping gear and hit the road for a few months. I had found an old map book in his desk when we were cleaning out his house and it had * asterisk marks outlining the route he took to Montana and the towns they stopped in along the way. So I followed that exact route the first leg of the trip and it was very therapeutic. Hawaii was the only state he had never made it to, and he had plans of going once he retired. So after the trip to Montana, me and my younger brother flew to Hawaii, rented a jeep and camped around the island for a month and spread some of his ashes there so that he could finally say he'd been to Hawaii.

When I think of grieving, I think of process (e.g., Kubler-Ross' stages of grief). In fact, in describing my own grieving processes, I use the term "grief work." When I knew my daughter was going to die in 2008, I started mentally preparing myself to do that grief work. Although the deep anguish has lessened since then, even typing this post still makes my heart ache and tears fill my eyes. This grief work simply never ends, but it does get less intense and is now mixed with happy memories, smiles, and the simple joy of having known her.

After my daughter passed, I put myself in therapy for a year. I knew I needed a trusted-other to hear my pain and for encouragement to find healing from this deep loss. Somehow, during that first year of grieving, I knew that I needed to be in nature, on the road, to continue my grief work. I don't even know how I knew that, I just did. It certainly wasn't something I'd done before. So, in 2010 I took 6 months and explored the US National Parks.

Driving the empty backroads -- praying, crying, screaming, weeping -- was such a poignant symbol of walking through the grief process. It was an intentional journey physically, mentally, and spiritually. And then, being in nature, in the majesty of the National Parks, somehow made me feel that I was in my right place in the world, and somehow more trusting of the cycle of life and death. I found solace.

Today I am grieving my marriage. It's ending. Many thanks to several friends in this vandwelling community for being there for me, listening, encouraging. This spring/summer/fall I take another extended road trip. I will do grief work again among the Canadian highways and National Parks.

This is what works for me. I'd say trust your own intuition for what works for you. Realize grief is an on-going process that gets less intense over time. Find friends and/or pay a therapist to listen to and encourage you. My heart goes out to you as you journey through your own grief work.

Suanne

Nature.

I find it extremely soothing to go off somewhere in nature and just be alone there for awhile, one on one. She helps heal the heart and soul if asked. Even if you can just go for a few hours on the weekend, or whenever you get the chance.

I had a place I would go, before I went on the road full-time, in Paha Sapa - the Black Hills. I would go and find somewhere and I'd just sit. I watch the blue sky, listen to the birds, feel the rock, touch the trees, quite literally. I'd recommend soft-sole moccasins and a little walking; help ground yourself and reconnect. Observe and pay attention to what you see.

You may find you can reconnect with Mom a little if you go out in nature where it's quiet and peaceful. It's okay to cry and feel what you need to. Talk to her, and listen. I don't know what your beliefs are, but it may be of some comfort to not think of her as 'gone', but that she just changed her form.

Guilt is a thing many people are 'programmed' to feel by rote anymore, whether it's justified or not. I don't know if this helps you, but what we as individuals perceive as right and wrong is mostly subjective. Figure out which belief is causing the guilt and address it on that level. Beliefs are just thoughts - and they can be changed.

I am very sorry and hope you feel better and find some comfort.

I was told that if I was grieving for an extended period of time it probably wasn't grief but rather self pity.
I don't know if this pertains to you, but it is something to look at. I find it impossible to have gratitude and self pity at the same time. Maybe look at being grateful that you are in a position to help others.

Guilt and grief can become so woven together they can't be separated--when that happens, the future can be unbearable.

I've been there and done that and the only thing that makes life bearable for me is service. It's the only thing guaranteed to get me through another day.

Professional advice - find someone you can talk to. I have no problems recommending at least a couple of sessions with a professional counsellor to get the process shaped up and underway. The research in this area shows that a family friend or church elder is every bit as effective as that professional, if the friend or priest has the right skill set. I said up front that talking is the effective mechanism. If your confidant is silent 95 to 98% of the time, it will probably work out well.

Death of a loved one or close friend is always difficult.

Breathe.

While you of course want to "be there" for your dad, and you will find ways to stay in touch and support him, this is something he and your mom were to work out and discuss...as adults... though it's often not done til the later years and death appears inevitable.  Don't guilt trip yourself into becoming the companion for your dad now.  But you both need each other and need to  encourage each other to continue with life's activities.

Everyone grieves differently, so don't listen to anyone who insists this or that.  Don't listen to those who say "just" in any of their sentences.  You can't "just" when you are grieving deeply.

Know that it will lessen with time but how much time is totally your scenario.... there is no set time.  BUT we all grieve.  Some people appear to move with their lives without shedding a tear but eventually the known grieving sobs will hit them... it might take years.

For some of us it hits hard and long.... and we think it will never end.  The Jews sit shiva... and then, if it was a spouse they lost, it's a year's process they give themselves to grieve....   but we never get totally over such a loss like a parent or spouse...

There are stages to grief, Kubler-Ross wrote about them long ago and they are still true....   but when we think stages we tend to think we go through this one first (shock denial) and then on to the next.... and then on to the next... nope.  Each person grieves through  the shock and denial, isolation, bargaining, depression and acceptance differently.

One day you might realize that you aren't sobbing at the mere thought of the loved one... and you feel you might be able to accept it and the next day you might be so depressed you can't function. Some days you might experience all five!

Keep moving forward.... try not to let it control your life (your loved one wouldn't want that either, and I believe they can see/hear us here)...  don't constantly fight the grief.  If you can take a set time (you decide how long you need) and sit or walk and think about the person, focus on the good and the not so pretty stuff about them, then stop and put the memories back on the shelf to take down again later.... you might find that you are beginning to control your grief.   I would caution to not just think about all the good stuff about the person... no one is perfect... to grasp reality and help ease the grief you do need to begin to recall the bad attitudes or absolutely dumb things she may have done.  (Such as my mom used to chase everyone out of the hot kitchen where she had baked something and had the oven door open, "so the oven can cool off".  She was 80 before she realized how dumb that was!) 

Most people aren't around their parents alot when they are adults...and the sense of having a parent is mainly in the mind at those times.  For me it was/is the "oh I'm want to call mom and tell her..." moments that hit hard knowing that while she's always there in my mind and memories, she isn't there to call. :(

My mother will have passed 8 years ago this May and while I talk to her a lot some days I just. plain. miss. her.

Be gentle with yourself and don't rush.  If  you want to talk to someone, then do so but find someone trained in grief support as I would hate for you to be told something that makes the teller feel better and doesn't help you cope with your loss.

https://psychcentral.com/lib/the-5-stages-of-loss-and-grief/

Big hugs to you! I am still there, myself. Lost my hubby after a 2 year fight with cancer, that was 4 years ago. He was 40. Every one goes through grief different, and no way is the correct and only way. Be sure and take care of YOU.

I do know I find more peace being in the present, alone somewhere in nature, or just driving alone with no destination. The pain has lessened over time and I'm not sucker-punched by intense emotions at any given moment anymore. It's finally gotten to where I can talk about a good memory smiling without tears streaming or getting choked up. And I have to keep reminding myself that he wouldn't want me being sad all the time, and is in a much better place whether it's an after life or no where, than hurting and sick.

Find what works for you, what gives you peace. Let the emotions come, it's better than holding them in. The pain won't go away, but may be tempered later, time does help. *Hugs*

Thank you for your book suggestion, Queen. I am going to buy it asap! I just lost my best friend last week from Breast Cancer. We have been friends since we were 8 years old. I'm in the raw denial and anger stage I think. This thread was very moving and I am sorry to all of you for your loss and grateful to all of you sharing your stories. Deep peace to us all. <3

I remember when my husband died; it was as if I was on autopilot. I was so overcome with grief I guess I just shut down. :( I was numb all over and yet I wanted to cry and scream but I couldn't because of the kids. I had to "stay strong" for them---or so I thought. After about three days, I was finally alone with my thoughts and that's when I broke down. My two oldest took their little sister (it was her father and my second husband who died) with them for a couple of days so I could get some time to myself and that's when I just literally broke down. I started crying and screaming and I thought I was losing my mind. By the way, my two oldest children's father, my first husband, also died so I have been married and widowed both times. I lost my dad in 2005 and my mom in 2015, too.

However, in time it gets better. There is no "time table" to get through grieving. We are all different and it takes some people longer to "get over a death" and one never really "gets over a death." We all learn how to cope with death in our own different ways and that's okay.

VanGrrl57 :(

I lost my father when I was 18
I loved him so much, I was so hurt, and i had to do all the things, deal with insurance, burial, taking care of my mother and older brother
I didn't even cry at his funeral, I was buzzing, thinking of how to keep the family taken care of, how to keep us all alive
A year later, i finished my shift at work, sat down in my car, and blubbered like a lost child
Then a few days later, a very cool thing happened
I was working on my car, and getting frustrated, when he told me, like he always did when that happened during his life "You've got your face too far under the hood, son, back up and LOOK at the problem"
i didn't hear him with my ear, but in my head and heart
That's when i realized that, in a way, he was still with me, and always would be
When my mother died a few years ago, i cried it out, got her buried, and got past it, but she's still with me, too
remember all the happy and all the good between you during their life, and a loved one never really dies, they have a form of immortality through those they met, those they affected, and the effect of those people on the world, like a ripple in a pond