Questions about campers and pickups

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimkelb89

Reaction score
Hello:

For me, I think getting a pickup along with a truck camper is the best option.

I think I've exhausted the other options since converting a van is not physically possible atm. I don't feel comfortable pulling around a lot of weight and used class b's are very hard to find past 1980. At least in my price range. And I don't want to pull very heavy loads so 5th wheels and larger are out. I think anything above a Class b would be too hard to maneuver and parking will suck. Atm I want to avoid pulling anything if I can.

The pickup and camper being two pieces is a big reason. If something goes wrong with one, only one needs to be fixed or replaced. Although they don't have a lot of space, you can stand up straight and I absolutely need that due to a back injury that is healing.

So my questions now are:

How do you secure the camper from theft?

Can you leave a dog inside for an hour if it is temperature controlled like you would at home? Is there a way to safely do this for when I have doctor appointments?

Short bed vs long bed? Does the long bed give me more options? Do both types come with a back seat in the cab? I won't get a pop up for safety reasons. 

Diesel or gas? I know it's hotly debated but looking for some input either way. 

Thanks for reading.

Here's a link that'll help you get familiar with the capabilities of pick-up trucks, Ford in this case. I offer this as informational only, being aware of your budget, as it shows the variety of combinations that are available and with the hope that you get the proper truck that'll be capable to carry a truck camper. Truck campers can weigh as little as a 1000 lbs and can exceed 4000 lbs, and the link will show that each truck will have limits. https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/17RV&TT_FordSuperDtyPU_Sep9.pdf
A pick-up will have a GVWR and as cab size increase from standard cab thru crew cab the carrying capability decreases because of the GVWR limit. You'll also notice near the top of the chart how gear ratios, in this case 3.73 and 4.30, have a bearing on truck capability. I hope that by viewing this chart that you become more familiar with pick-up trucks, and even though the ones in this chart don't fit your budget the information can be helpful.
The carrying capability, or cargo capacity, is on the chart below the tow ratings and is the information relative to what you're considering, a slide in camper
Long bed campers will give you more room, although there are many campers that will overhang the bed out back to varying degrees
Gas trucks are less expensive to purchase and mechanics that are able to work on them may be more readily available.
Diesel trucks have greater capabilities with moving heavier loads, and with care will far outlast gas trucks.
Trucks with dual wheels at the rear will have greater cargo capacity due to the additional wheels adding support.
Here's two more videos that'll help you become even more familiar with pick-up trucks... focuses on diesel, and this one shares info on gas & diesel...

kimkelb89 said:
Hello:

In the truck camper world it is often said "find the camper first then find the truck that will carry it".
Truck manufacturers change the dimensions of the truck bed from time to time. An older camper may not fit a newer truck as truck beds have gotten narrower over the years. Also the height of the side walls of the truck bed have gotten higher. This can be overcome by putting blocks under the camper to raise it in the bed but it also raises your center of gravity.
If you go this route be very careful that the truck and camper will work together before you buy.
A good resource is truckcampermagazine. An online resource for truck camping.
Good luck!

There are generally 3 kinds of cabs in trucks and all manufacturers call them something different...standard (just the driver and passenger seats), crew cab (driver, passenger and small back seat/bench with doors that open backwards) and mega cab (can comfortably seat 5-6 full grown men with proper back seats and full-size doors).

Long bed - 8ft long,
Short bed - 6ft long.
For a camper combo you are better off with a long bed, IMO

Campers are insulated so leaving a dog for an hour is feasible, especially with windows open and parking in the shade. It's not like leaving a dog in a car where it is all glass and turns into a green house. My RV is insulated and with all curtains closed, in direct sun, even at 90* it barely gets above the outside temperature...stuffy but not too hot. Having some reflectix will help too.

The controls for the jacks on the camper are only accessible from inside a locked compartment door, just like those on other RVs (5Ws and TTs) which makes it pretty tough to steal.

I have a diesel and love it, but they aren't cheap. Gas trucks are getting ever more reliable and more efficient so it really depends on personal feelings at this point.

So I tried the first link that I mentioned above, ford.com, and it didn't work, then tried to edit but ran out of time. Here's where you'll start, https://www.ford.com/towingguides/ and when the choices present themselves click on the Super Duty, doesn't matter the year as these are not in your budget and are presented here only to give you information that is valuable in choosing a truck that will be able to carry a slide-in camper. As you become more familiar with trucks you'll see that their capabilities vary greatly.

DuneElliot said:
There are generally 3 kinds of cabs in trucks and all manufacturers call them something different...standard (just the driver and passenger seats), crew cab (driver, passenger and small back seat/bench with doors that open backwards) and mega cab (can comfortably seat 5-6 full grown men with proper back seats and full-size doors).
Extended cab is the small back seat, crew is the full back seat, Mega cab is Dodge's 4th and biggest cab option, which is even bigger than the 3 options offered by the other truck makers.

Lost in the world said:
Extended cab is the small back seat, crew is the full back seat, Mega cab is Dodge's 4th and biggest cab option, which is even bigger than the 3 options offered by the other truck makers.

They used to only have three options...and I'm sure my terminology was wrong. The Mega Cab is a newer introduction. I have an extended cab and it is big enough to provide a narrow place to sleep if I need it (like road trips without the RV). 

I like having more than a standard cab as that back seat has been invaluable.

kimkelb89 said:
Hello:

I think I've exhausted the other options since converting a van is not physically possible atm. I don't feel comfortable pulling around a lot of weight and used class b's are very hard to find past 1980. At least in my price range. And I don't want to pull very heavy loads so 5th wheels and larger are out. I think anything above a Class b would be too hard to maneuver and parking will suck. Atm I want to avoid pulling anything if I can.

The pickup and camper being two pieces is a big reason. If something goes wrong with one, only one needs to be fixed or replaced. Although they don't have a lot of space, you can stand up straight and I absolutely need that due to a back injury that is healing.

So my questions now are:

How do you secure the camper from theft?

Can you leave a dog inside for an hour if it is temperature controlled like you would at home? Is there a way to safely do this for when I have doctor appointments?

Short bed vs long bed? Does the long bed give me more options? Do both types come with a back seat in the cab? I won't get a pop up for safety reasons. 

Diesel or gas? I know it's hotly debated but looking for some input either way. 

Thanks for reading.

I suspect (Personally) that you get brackets screw on, or drill holes in the base of the camper and run bolts through to secure camper to truck. I haven't heard of a lot of those being stolen, but I'm sure it happens enough to be known.

Regarding the dog, yes. If you have it temp controlled. That way the dog does not suffer.

I'd go with long bed, personal preferences YMMV

Diesel ONLY if you can get them around 1998? Or before they loaded them with lots of smog garbage.

kimkelb89 said:
Tip for you- I had a cab over camper ("truck camper") on my 1997 F350 (one ton). After I put the camper on and all my stuff It squatted the old truck down. For $300 I installed rear air bags suspension to it. Leveled it out and increased the carry capacity from #3500 lbs to #5000 lbs. When I removed the camper for whatever reason all I had to do was let the air out of the bags. You can up the payload on most trucks with the air bags. Mine are " Air Lift 57215 LoadLifter 5000 Series Rear Spring Kit " Can copy and past that in the Amazon search box through Bob's links. Hope this helps you or someone else. #BeABlessing 

Latest posts