Question on a Mr Buddy setup.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuskegonBrian

Reaction score
I have a conversion van as a daily driver/daytripper/weekend camper. I have a Mr. buddy heater that I've been using with the green canisters to help warm things up when I'm not driving. I'd like to go with a somewhat more stable set up. My thoughts are building a cabinet for in between the front seats where the Mr. Buddy would mount on the outside facing the back and a propane tank inside utilizing the Mr. Buddy fuel line. It would not be used while driving. I always have a couple windows cracked for ventilation and use a CO2 detector. Is there anything else I should be watching out for building this? Thank you.

Sent from Brian's iPhone using Tapatalk

If clearance is too close air cookie sheets mounted off the surface about an inch with a 12volt fan behind worked really well as a heat shield for me. It went from hundreds of degrees on the hot side to 80 degrees on the roof side

I have a Mr. Heater Little Buddy, the smaller round one. I tried the between the front seats position but it seemed to always be in the way or in danger of melting something.
The heater does shut off if you tip it over. However, the wire grid on the front stays hot for a while I wanted to avoid melting things like sleeping bag, carpet, foam pad, etc. To make it stable so that I wouldn't accidentally knock it over I used a wire coat hanger to attach it. I straightened out the coat hanger wire, looped one end around the handle of the heater and made a loop at the other end. Over the van side door there is a little flip down hook to hang clothes on. I hooked the wire loop on that. I made the length so that the heater was standing on its base but would not tip over.
What I don't like about this setup is that the heater requires two places. When it is put away it is in one place. When it is in use it occupies another place. Put away it is bulky. In use it needs space plus more space around it. A cabinet that makes it so that it can be used in its stored place protected from flammable things sounds like a great idea. A small computer fan might make it so that the heat would go where you want with the heater running in an orientation that is less than ideal for heating but great for storing.

MrNoodly said:
Since few people save the literature that came with the heater, you can go to the Mr. Heater site to get the recommended clearance specs. the critical ones are top and front.

http://www.mrheater.com/downloads/dl/file/id/217/portable_buddy_heater_manual_usa_2016.pdf

(Notice that it's Mr. Heater, not Mr. Buddy. The Buddy is one of the models.)

I actually kept all the literature. Clearance around the Mr. Heater Buddy (spelling thanks) isn't an issue. What I was wondering about was building a unit that the heater will be mounted to and then the 5lb or 1lb tank mounted inside. I'd like to get away from using the small cans that screw into the heater and have a unit that I can just pull out of the van when it's not needed. May even put a couple. Drink holders and a pad on top.

Trebor English said:
I have a Mr. Heater Little Buddy, the smaller round one. I tried the between the front seats position but it seemed to always be in the way or in danger of melting something.
The heater does shut off if you tip it over. However, the wire grid on the front stays hot for a while I wanted to avoid melting things like sleeping bag, carpet, foam pad, etc. To make it stable so that I wouldn't accidentally knock it over I used a wire coat hanger to attach it. I straightened out the coat hanger wire, looped one end around the handle of the heater and made a loop at the other end. Over the van side door there is a little flip down hook to hang clothes on. I hooked the wire loop on that. I made the length so that the heater was standing on its base but would not tip over.
What I don't like about this setup is that the heater requires two places. When it is put away it is in one place. When it is in use it occupies another place. Put away it is bulky. In use it needs space plus more space around it. A cabinet that makes it so that it can be used in its stored place protected from flammable things sounds like a great idea. A small computer fan might make it so that the heat would go where you want with the heater running in an orientation that is less than ideal for heating but great for storing.

Yeah a big part of that idea is so I or the dog don't inadvertently knock into it and top it over when moving around the van. Thanks.

MuskegonBrian said:
What I was wondering about was building a unit that the heater will be mounted to...

Yes, but whatever you build will need to allow you enough clearance in the vehicle when the heater is mounted to it.

As for me, I have a 20lb tank mounted via a heavy steel strap (the kind used to mount propane tanks to forklifts) which is bolted to the end of a steel contractors' cabinet, which is bolted to the van. Meanwhile, the heater is stored out of the way until I'm careless enough to end up in cold weather. Then I take it out, connect the hose and filter, and I'm in business. 

I don't worry about carrying propane inside. People don't think twice about carrying the green bottles inside, and their valves are less secure than large tanks.

MrNoodly said:
Yes, but whatever you build will need to allow you enough clearance in the vehicle when the heater is mounted to it.

As for me, I have a 20lb tank mounted via a heavy steel strap (the kind used to mount propane tanks to forklifts) which is bolted to the end of a steel contractors' cabinet, which is bolted to the van. Meanwhile, the heater is stored out of the way until I'm careless enough to end up in cold weather. Then I take it out, connect the hose and filter, and I'm in business. 

I don't worry about carrying propane inside. People don't think twice about carrying the green bottles inside, and their valves are less secure than large tanks.

Alrighty , I see where you're coming from now. Even though I'll have plenty of air moving in the back of the van where the heater is pointed. I want to make sure that I have enough air flow between the seats where the heater will be mounted. That is very helpful! Thank you!

I have the smaller "Portable Buddy" single-tank heater, and two "Big Buddy" twin tank heaters I use at the S&B. All work well, though last year the green one pound bottles I bought locally from two sources did not last as long as they should. One bottle should last 7 1/2 hours (and did prior winters), but now I am seeing them go empty at 5 hours. Take this into account, and watch your tank times. I switched one Big Buddy to the 20 lb. tank.

for those that use the 1 pound green bottles. A four inch peace of pvc pipe makes a perfect holder. cut a peace four in long and take a jig saw and cut a four inch circle of wood to fit inside  the pipe to create a bottom and secure with 3 dry wall screws through the side then use the bottom to secure this to another peace of wood to create a base to keep appalance from tipping over. make several and mount on a peace of wood to keep tanks from moving around and you can mount then in any shape so they will fit your storage space. long. side by side. circle

travlinman said:
for those that use the 1 pound green bottles. A four inch peace of pvc pipe makes a perfect holder. cut a peace four in long and take a jig saw and cut a four inch circle of wood to fit inside  the pipe to create a bottom and secure with 3 dry wall screws through the side then use the bottom to secure this to another peace of wood to create a base to keep appalance from tipping over. make several and mount on a peace of wood to keep tanks from moving around and you can mount then in any shape so they will fit your storage space. long. side by side. circle

Very cool idea. Thanks for sharing that.

LeeRevell said:
I have the smaller "Portable Buddy" single-tank heater, and two "Big Buddy" twin tank heaters I use at the S&B. All work well, though last year the green one pound bottles I bought locally from two sources did not last as long as they should. One bottle should last 7 1/2 hours (and did prior winters), but now I am seeing them go empty at 5 hours. Take this into account, and watch your tank times. I switched one Big Buddy to the 20 lb. tank.

Yeah that's my thinking behind putting a larger bottle in the cabinet. The green canisters have worked out well for the usage here and there but I like to connect it and forget it type situation in it for weekends or longer.

Latest posts