Question for seasoned vehicle dwellers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel

Reaction score
Hi,

I am just about ready to purchase a vehicle and was wondering if I could get some advice from those who are living this lifestyle.

If you live full time and like to stay at state forests and when you go into town don't want be noticed:

What kind of vehicle do you live in?

I am considering a Chevy van or some kind of SUV?

I have access to the internet on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so I will be checking back then.

Thank you in advance,

Rachel

Any type of vehicle will do. None are more noticeable than any other. It all boils down to how you dress it up. Reflectix in the windows... Solar on top... Bed visible thru windows... Etc. That is what gets your vehicle noticed.

With that said, the larger the vehicle (van) the easier to pack it up so it looks tidy from a bystanders view. SUV will be harder to go unnoticed since it is very easy to see what is happening inside.

Cargo van with no windows might be what you are looking for

It's not the vehicle that usually gets you noticed--it's what you do with it.

I agree with Van-Tramp: a windowless cargo van just looks like ... well ... a plain ole cargo van.

Being noticed is one thing. Whether anyone cares in a negative way, and does something because of it, is another.

For six years I've been in a plain white cargo van with a solar panel on top. The only time I've had trouble was when I was stealth camping in cities with laws against sleeping in vehicles. And then I was just told to leave. But I've had no problems when running errands, getting supplies, etc.

I currently have a pickup truck and cargo trailer. But am looking to get a cube truck instead.

A cube van has the same mechanics as a regular 1 ton chevy van but with a lot more room and payload. And very stealthy. Even if you are parked at a Walmart or rest stop you look more like someone who is moving than a homeless van dweller.

And the roof is high enough that no one will notice your solar panels, fans or other indicators that you are living in the vehicle. Only downside is there are no windows. My plan is to put some windows and any visible signs of van dwelling like water inlets on the passenger side. Then the vehicle can be parked on the street with no visible clues to alert passing traffic.

86e1479083038f250cfd367cc5be3c8bx.jpg

Hello Rachel, welcome to the forum. I agree with the other respondents that at first blush a cargo van is suitable for your needs. 

If you are living in the State forest, why do you need to be stealthy in town, Do you plan to stealth camp in towns?

MrNoodly said:
 plain white cargo van with a solar panel on top. 

Same here. I have found that most people don't seem to notice the solar, and if they do they just think it's some sort of cargo rack. It's never given me any trouble.

Just an aside, but I haven’t found a lot of state forests in my travels around the country.

I don’t know what part of the country you are in, but be sure to look a bit before you leap, or maybe you already have.  :blush:

Hi Rachel, the problem with a cargo van with no windows, is that it has no windows, so if you want to live in a cave that is fine, you might be able to get enough ventilation through a roof vent but I doubt it. I would not like living in a van with no opening windows, I think you need a cross draft to make it comfortable especially on hot days and it is nice to look outside, and have a view of your surroundings.I like to see the world I am travelling in.  I would not like to full time in a van that I couldn;t stand up in, I know a lot of people do it but I wouldn’t. I like playing instruments, and like to stand up to put my pants on. I like to pace a few feet, i like to be able to straighten out my back, unbend my knees, cook and clean up in an upright position, inside my house and look out at the world while doing it. So in my opinion a high top van with windows that open and if you are worried about being noticed, then make sure you have your vehicles papers in order, don’t have a warrant for your arrest,have stolen property with you, carry guns or are doing something else that is immoral, unethical to illegal. Otherwise if someone notices you smile and wave, acknowledging them in some way, letting them know that you are just another human being going about their business.

I was sitting in the living area of my windowless cargo van today and admiring the view looking out the front windows. It was like looking through bay windows in a small room in a sticks and bricks home. And the lack of windows in the cargo area gives me more space for storage and hanging things. 

Just like every idea you will be introduced to on the CRVL forum, apply each one to your personal desires and needs and you’ll come up with something that works for you.

Hi Rachael,
Been living in my station wagon for 3 years. Had the windows tinted dark, plus I use Reflectec. Plenty of room to stretch my legs, easy travel, affordable.

I really hate the idea of living in a cargo van with no room to stand up and walk around. But perhaps my perspective is skewed by the fact I live in Canada and we spend much of the year trapped indoors due to extreme cold. But I can't expect the situation to be much different if I was living in a climate where it can get extremely hot.

I've read the OP's posts carefully and I can appreciate how much time and thought she is putting in her decision. IMO a 2010+ GMC cube truck with a 6.0/6 speed transmission is the best vehicle. I slept in an SUV when I was in my 20's I can't imagine having to do that now in my 40's let alone in my 60's.

I don't even get why anyone would want to live in a cargo room where you can only sit and lay down when for the same money you could have a cube truck with room to stand and walk around. I'm not suggesting you buy a $50,000 Mercedes Sprinter or a $100,000 class A RV. The cube truck is the same vehicle as the cargo van but with a bigger box. A few extra pounds of sheet metal that is easier to insulate and much easier to live in than a tiny cargo van where you can't even stand.

flying kurbmaster said:
Hi Rachel, the problem with a cargo van with no windows, is that it has no windows, so if you want to live in a cave that is fine, you might be able to get enough ventilation through a roof vent but I doubt it. I would not like living in a van with no opening windows, I think you need a cross draft to make it comfortable especially on hot days and it is nice to look outside, and have a view of your surroundings.I like to see the world I am travelling in.

I open the side and back doors. I roll down windows. I go outside.  :D

MrNoodly said:
I open the side and back doors. I roll down windows. I go outside.  :D

What do you do on cold or wet days? Opening all your doors will expose yourself and all your stuff to the world, if you want to go unnoticed as the OP was wanting then that does not seem like a great option.

Matildas mate said:
I was sitting in the living area of my windowless cargo van today and admiring the view looking out the front windows. It was like looking through bay windows in a small room in a sticks and bricks home. And the lack of windows in the cargo area gives me more space for storage and hanging things. 

Just like every idea you will be introduced to on the CRVL forum, apply each one to your personal desires and needs and you’ll come up with something that works for you.
I have that option as well, I could close all my vents and windows, lower my blinds, close my curtains and get the same effect but why would I ?

Homeless in Canada said:
I really hate the idea of living in a cargo van with no room to stand up and walk around. But perhaps my perspective is skewed by the fact I live in Canada and we spend much of the year trapped indoors due to extreme cold. But I can't expect the situation to be much different if I was living in a climate where it can get extremely hot.

I've read the OP's posts carefully and I can appreciate how much time and thought she is putting in her decision. IMO a 2010+ GMC cube truck with a 6.0/6 speed transmission is the best vehicle. I slept in an SUV when I was in my 20's I can't imagine having to do that now in my 40's let alone in my 60's.

I don't even get why anyone would want to live in a cargo room where you can only sit and lay down when for the same money you could have a cube truck with room to stand and walk around. I'm not suggesting you buy a $50,000 Mercedes Sprinter or a $100,000 class A RV. The cube truck is the same vehicle as the cargo van but with a bigger box. A few extra pounds of sheet metal that is easier to insulate and much easier to live in than a tiny cargo van where you can't even stand.

There are plenty of reasons not to get a 3 or 5 ton box truck here are a couple,it cost more to maintain, harder on fuel, it is much harder to drive, harder to park, not allowed on some roads, a major pain in the ass in a city, difficult to insure, may need special liscence in some areas, they are several feet higher the a hightop, may limit where you can go. I am sure there are plenty more reasons. A high top van would solve most of your problems that you have with cargo vans.

If you are living in the State forest, why do you need to be stealthy in town, Do you plan to stealth camp in towns?

My guess would be that because she's a woman, she doesn't want anyone in town to see that she's alone and camping outside of town at night. 
Driving into town in something that suggest you're sleeping in it, might draw the wrong kind of attention from certain kinds of people (dirtbags). 
Too easy to be followed to your campsite, never to be heard from again.

Hi Rachel. I've slept in a Honda Civic and currently own a Ford Fusion. Both cars had seats that folded down and made a bed. I could park anywhere. The problem I had was that there was nothing to do from sunset to bedtime. I would be outside biking, hiking, etc during the day. At night, even with my dark windows and curtains, it was difficult to find something to do in a car. If all the curtains were closed, it got too hot in the car, if even a crack of light was visible, I was no longer stealth in a city. Being a woman, I did not want people to know I was sleeping solo in my car. We purchased a high top extended van in December. I love it. The van was a passenger van. We hung curtains on the driver side and did not take them down. Back, front and passenger side, we would remove the curtains daily. I loved our first 2 week trip to Florida. My husband went with me for a change. I was able to read at night and there was enough air flow to not die of heat. We have plans to add solar and a fan next year. But, we will be able to take a trip for a 3 months using a cooler, solar light and mosquito nets on the front windows. If you are solo, you may not need a high top, but I love standing up in the van. I could live in the van, be we only use it for vacations.

flying kurbmaster said:
There are plenty of reasons not to get a 3 or 5 ton box truck here are a couple,it cost more to maintain, harder on fuel, it is much harder to drive, harder to park, not allowed on some roads, a major pain in the ass in a city, difficult to insure, may need special liscence in some areas, they are several feet higher the a hightop, may limit where you can go. I am sure there are plenty more reasons. A high top van would solve most of your problems that you have with cargo vans.

You don't need a special license to drive a box truck. And they are very easy to drive and work on. Also never had a problem with insurance or parking.

High top vans are nice but the problem is they are expensive and hard to find and not particularly stealthy compared to a plain vanilla box van.

And cube trucks still offer more room. Plus you have all that space below the frame for storage boxes and water tanks. Can't do anything like that in a van.

I don’t disagree with you that cubes are a great platform to build/live in I was only pointing out reasons you would not get one over a high top or a cargo. No platform is perfect. The larger it is the easier it is to live in but along with that come other issues. Always a compromise.