Question for seasoned vehicle dwellers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't see a passage from the cargo box to the driver's seat. Is that an option or is it possible to build?

Thank you all, for giving me input.
I really appreciate it, very much.

Thank you, so much,
Rachel

Zephyr said:
I didn't see a passage from the cargo box to the driver's seat. Is that an option or is it possible to build?

Those are called cutaway-cube vans. Although SOME box trucks DO have a cab access door to the box, almost all cutaways do.

BigT said:
My guess would be that because she's a woman, she doesn't want anyone in town to see that she's alone and camping outside of town at night.

Too easy to be followed to your campsite, never to be heard from again.

Of course, this is easily remedied.

Raise a puppy and they will give their lives protecting you.
Docile/licky licky with loved ones and kids, Satan to rapists/violent people.
(And they seem to KNOW who is and who is not trustworthy all on their own.)

Most of the horrors out there are due to very foolish decisions.
Women have been told a truck stop is a good place to get raped. HOGWASH.
Noisy trucks/reefer units...yes...but let one female scream and the offender gets an instant Maglite party and ends up leaving in an ambulance or a hearse.
A well, traveled truck stop is one of the safest places to spend the night.
A wolf whistle does not kill you. Being alone and easy prey is what kills you.
Rotty balances that equation.

PS
Cube vans are, on average, less money than step vans and a LOT easier to live with, much more secure...and easier to repair (slightly, because of parts availability) as well. This all goes out the window if you want diesel though. No Cummins cube trucks with straight axles.
Average cube van is pretty played out @ 200K.
Cummins step van usually exceeds that by a good margin. Especially the 6B with a clutch pedal and good synthetic oil throughout.
(Noisy, tough to heat beast, however...and easy for a meth head to screwdriver their way in, by comparison.)

I agree most dogs seem to be able to tell a good person from a bad person right off the bat. highdesertranger

Traveling with a dog has a big downside. Keeping a large dog fed and healthy is more than many low income budgets can support. It is very expensive to take a sick animal to a veterinarian. The cost of the effective medications for fleas, heart worms add in another monthly hit on the budget. I have considered getting a dog, I do like them. However I also realize that it is a choice between having a dog or having an emergency fund and having a dog means I need an emergency fund for it as well as one for myself.

Then there are the dogs that go batshit crazy attacking someone walking by peacefully on the other side of a street. Large jaws, small cranium.

wayne49 said:
Then there are the dogs that go batshit crazy attacking someone walking by peacefully on the other side of a street. Large jaws, small cranium.

That's like saying some kids grow up to be Jeff Dahlmer, so we should sterilize everyone.
Media hype, totally sucked in.

(We have known 5 Rottys very well thus far. Every one has been highly intelligent, VERY protective (especially to the grandchildren and Mrs G) but still backed off when told to...and all got noxious gas from too many tacos.)
Our dogs cost us an average of $35 a month in vet bills/shots/licenses and we have four of them.
We have a "no cut rule."
Surgery, towards the end of a dogs life, helps you, not the dog.
Fatty tumors have been removed when they impeded movement. Besides that and spay/neuter, our dogs do not get cut open.
If they are that bad off, we do the right thing. Same with cancer treatment...hip surgery...etc.
People who spend thousands keeping a dog alive are free to do so.
We have a choice of one, made miserable towards the end, or many, with mother nature staying in charge.
We choose many.

I think SUV's are more stealthy. Although you have no standing room. I had limo tint on my Honda. Vantucket was my previous 95 Chevy G20. It did not have a high top. I traveled well with most all my needs inside - except I get depressed and stay inside for days or weeks. For me that is not healthy. When I lived in the Honda Passport my needs forced me outside. A sunshade in the front window. Keeping lights off at night (in stealth situations) and I did much better. I got in the habit of locking the doors when sleeping.

Box trucks don't have cab to box doors & if GROSS weight over 26,000 you need a CDL. If you really want one check with Penske as they sell very clean used rental trucks. I bought 2 like new with a gross wt just under the 26k limit. You can get 20' or 24' boxes. They're using Internationals still I think. Cutawys like my ambulance do have cab to rear doors or a few have crawl thru holes.