Put my back out. Again.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcal

Reaction score
Apparently, I have Selective Stupid. I know that my back is touchy. I know that there are things that I should not do. I think about that, then I do them, anyway. The worst part is not the nagging pain. It is sitting in this scrunchy RV bath on this tiny RV toilet trying to squirm around to wipe my own butt when bending is out of the question.

About 25 years ago, I was given the wonderful news that I now had sciatica. I spent a month and 1/2 just laying in bed. It took me 20 minutes to simply turn over. I had to walk with a cane for months. so I know what you're both dealing with. Oh, and coughing and sneezing were like getting hit by lightning!! :(

The doctors wanted to fuse acouple vertebras, but I said no way! I'm far too young to get my spine cut into. What are my other options??

not much, they told me...but if I took better care of myself, I could live probably with it, for awhile.

Well, I started taking walks around the lake we lived near. First, I'd limp around 1 lap with my cane. Pretty soon, I could do 1 lap without the cane, and 1 with. By the end of the summer, I was running 2-3 laps around the lake trail...at full speed!

I had many, many, ups and downs dealing with this throughout the years. I've had my days where I just knew I skrewed up again and did a job that I shouldn't have done! (Lifting and twisting are the worst!!)
I'm not the kind of guy who watches others work, and lead a very physical lifestyle.
I thoroughly enjoy building things...big things. I enjoy roughhousing with my kids, and I'm sure my choppers didn't do my back any favors either. (but they do wonders for my soul!) :cool:

So, now that I'm into my 50's, I take better car of myself than I did when I was in my 20's. Not only watching my diet...I now walk and run regularly, do yoga, swim as often as I can, and work out several times a week. As long as I monitor myself while I work, I can still do just about any kind of heavy work I want...but I have to be vigilant about watching what I do, and how I do it. And I've never had that back surgery either!

I highly recommend everybody to go for long walks. Swimming is a wonderful thing to do for yourself. Don't eat so much crappy foods.
And especially for you full timers...get out of your rigs and get your blood circulating!!! You'll feel so much better! (both physically, and spiritually)

Take care of your body. It's the only one you get!!

I hope you feel better soon Gcal! I've been there!

This time, I tried to lift the bed by myself to get my sewing machine. I don't remember why it got put there. My stuff usually does not because I can't get at it by myself. But it is there. I wanted it n-o-w, and DH is at the workshop. I still do not have it, but I threw my back out trying. That ripped seam really is not that important. Now, it has to wait until he gets back, anyway

I just had 10 days of the worst back pain episode I've ever had. Luckily mine is not related to a bulged disk or the vertebrae, but is more of a herniated back muscle called a episacral lipoma. I was eventually able to get it to recede with a heating pad and a lot of physical manipulation to loosen the muscles around it. Good thing it is my lower back and I can reach it myself, but my hands/forearms are sore from exertion.

Hope yours settles down soon. it is no fun hobbling around waiting for that knife to be twisted.

I ordered this thing last week and I'm hoping its helpful...gets good reviews. Just need a good spot to stash it in the closet...I can just hear the cracks now should my friends happen to see it   ;P

61AKLtSzX1L._SX522_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006VJ6TO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

gsfish said:
BradKW,
If you get some relief with this line of therapy I would say to ignore any comments by your friends...... What's the blue thing for?

took me a second there, but... lol :D

Interesting blue piece of equipment…

So, I have come to believe that the underlying cause of most back issues (and many other pain issues such as fibromyalgia, sciatica, even kids growing pains) is stress.  About 8 years ago I was undergoing an extremely stressful time in my life and out of the blue at the same time started experiencing back pain.  Long story short, I had an MRI and found out I had a herniated disc (which I have since learned are a normal part of aging and normally shouldn’t cause pain).  Being the curious type, I wanted to learn more about disc problems so started doing online research and came across a book by Dr. John Sarno.  I also came across two videos (links below), one by Howard Stern and the other by John Stossel of 20/20 talking about how Dr. Sarno had changed their lives from being almost crippled by pain to becoming pain free.   I read the book, watched the videos, let it all sink in, and have been pain free myself for 8 years now, not even needing to take an aspirin.  I’m a firm believer in the mind-body connection.  

Below is also a link to another success story by a guy that goes by “Baseball65”, and a link to the book through Amazon.   I’m not sure Bob will get credit through my link for the book, so if you order it please make sure to order so he gets his affiliate credit.  

I hope this info is helpful, it sure helped me.

YouTube of Dr John Sarno - Howard Stern Show

YouTube of Dr John Sarno - John Stossel on 20/20

My Victory Over Pain - Baseball65

Healing Back Pain by Dr. John Sarno, Amazon

gcal said:
Apparently, I have Selective Stupid. I know that my back is touchy. I know that there are things that I should not do. I think about that, then I do them, anyway. The worst part is not the nagging pain. It is sitting in this scrunchy RV bath on this tiny RV toilet trying to squirm around to wipe my own butt when bending is out of the question.
 i hear you!!  if you stand up and lean slightly forward and reach around behind you..... you  may be able to solve the problem with as little back strain as possible.... this may be t.m.i.   for some folk....as the man said "I FEEL FOR YA BABE I JUST CAN'T REACH YA" . I HOPE YOU GET BETTER, I HAVE DEGENERATIVE ARTHRITIS IN THE CENTER OF MY SPINE AND I KNOW BACK PAIN IS NO LAUGHING MATTER.  HOPE THIS HELPS.

My spine goes out easily and causes breathing problems. After several visits to my Osteopath she told me to put 2-3 raquet balls into a sock, and roll on them between me and a wall. I used 3 tennis balls in a long sock. For me it usually takes a few minutes of light pressure to get the discs re-positioned. I wouldn't have believed it but that I had been seeing her for a while and the very light pressure she exerted on my body helped a lot.

How do you like your blue tool? Do you use it frequently? Would you spend that money on it again?

Ella1 said:
How do you like your blue tool? Do you use it frequently? Would you spend that money on it again?

Its actually still in shipping, but I'll post an update once it arrives. The majority of my back issues arise from misbehaving muscles, especially painful knots that basically persist until released. Massage therapists are a bit expensive as a regular visit, and I'm hoping this gadget does a better/easier job then wall corners/door jambs...

If not, I will donate it to Bitty...

;)

I don't know how many of you have access to an inversion table...but it's the most wonderful thing you can do for your back.

It uses gravity to slowly pull your spine back to where it should be, relieving the pressure on the disks, and at the same time extends your disks to where they absorb fluids which helps them to heal properly! It's a real Win-Win!!

It takes several times using it to get the feel where you're extending your back and getting used to hanging darn near upside down. 10 or 15 minutes at a time is all it takes. You'll feel immediate results!

We use ours quite a lot!

BradKW said:
Its actually still in shipping, but I'll post an update once it arrives. The majority of my back issues arise from misbehaving muscles, especially painful knots that basically persist until released.
;)

My ex used a very similar device to release tension knots in his muscles.. especially in his shoulders. He found it very helpful most of the time. His actually unscrewed into 2 parts (and was a bit smaller and with fewer knobs) so that he could easily pack it in his suitcase for flights.

Since you are the one who can feel exactly where those knots are, you should find it terrific to be able to apply the pressure on the spots.

Patrick46 said:
I don't know how many of you have access to an inversion table...but it's the most wonderful thing you can do for your back.

It uses gravity to slowly pull your spine back to where it should be, relieving the pressure on the disks, and at the same time extends your disks to where they absorb fluids which helps them to heal properly! It's a real Win-Win!!

Many many years ago I had a pinched sciatica nerve from twisting wrongly while shoveling snow. In the last year, I had another bout with it (I understand taking 20 minutes to turn over in bed). A friend suggested a pair of crutches that were purposefully set a couple of inches too high. You sort of use the crutches (most weight on your hands) to "swing" yourself as you walk. I has a little of the same effect as an inversion because it stretches out your spine. Two days after starting to use the crutches, the hip to ankle pain was almost gone.

Patrick46 said:

It takes several times using it to get the feel where you're extending your back and getting used to hanging darn near upside down. 10 or 15 minutes at a time is all it takes. You'll feel immediate results!

We use ours quite a lot!

Son has one. I hate going into his house because he has 2 large, completely undisciplined dogs that jump and slobber all over anyone who walks thru the door. Maybe I can distract them with a couple of big chew toys until I can reach the room with the inversion table. I do not want to deal with them when my back still feels unstable.

Have you son CONTROL his dogs!

(I have no tolerance for undisciplined dogs and children.)

...but do it! You'll really love what it does for you. Just remember...it does take a few times to relax into it, to where it does what it's supposed to do for you.

I got the weird back thing for Xmas & I haven't got the hang of it yet. I prefer rolling. I have one massage roller that's about an inch diameter with slight flat nubs & handles on each end. A thin rolling pin if you will. My other one has 3 very nubby balls on it. Both are from target & are a good travel size. If you've got space to lay on the floor or ground, try a tennis ball or of you can handle it, a soft ball under your bum & then roll it around for sciatica.

Just to let you all know, that even though I'm exercising and stuff, that my back can still give me issues.

I was pinstriping on my friend's hot-rod yesterday, and because I had to lean over while I worked...I'm now paying the price for it today!! DAMN!!! I hate sore backs!!! :(

at least I know I get through these issues a lot quicker than I used to. Back to the inversion table for me!

@Patrick … I’ll be driving through Coos Bay in early March and would love to meet you and hand deliver a copy of Healing Back Pain by Dr. Sarno if you’re up for it.  I have a couple on hand and have given out at least a dozen over the years.  You’d have to read the book to understand the treatment because most of the time (not all of the time as sometimes it could be a physical cause) pain begins in our minds as a way to cover up stress, anger, fear or other unpleasant repressed emotions and then it manifests physically in different ways in our bodies.  Check out those videos I posted above.  What do you have to lose?  Here’s more info about it.   http://www.tms-mindbodymedicine.com/tmsinfo.htm.  

@gcal.  There is a section in the book titled “Delayed Onset Reaction”  Your recent back pain may actually be a delayed reaction to your recent rat invasion and all the stress that caused you.

It might sound quacky because it isn’t mainstream.  Neither is vandwelling.  Just like Bob, Dr. Sarno is showing a different way that helps a lot of people.

Heck yeah!

I'd totally enjoy meeting you, and would love to read this book of yours. I'm always ready to learn new ways of dealing with getting older.
My Mom gave me a book awhile back, called the "Back Owner's Manual". Neat little book.
I also have a BIL who's a very good chiropractor, and we've discussed at length the things and exercises that I can do to keep me walking vertically and without all that pain.

Although, I must say, that my back pain comes directly from me having to bend and stoop over ALOT in my workaday. I'm pinstriping yet another pick-up truck today, but thank Heavens, most of today's stripes are up higher on the truck! :cool: