Purchase Battery Locally Without Core Fee

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I have a question if you don't mind me asking.

Where can I purchase a deep cycle battery at the local store without a core charge fee? It seems like every auto parts stores, Walmart stores, and even auto salvage yards (junkyards) sells batteries with a core charge fee if don't have an old battery to exchange with.

Now another question, who will take and dispose or recycle AGM and Li-On batteries when it reached its useful life?

I attached an image of the hyperlink of the "State Recycling Laws" to the "Battery Council International (BCI)" website, since I cannot post website links yet because I just signed up to the forum yesterday, so I found another way around the restrictions (forum moderators please don't delete this post).

Thank you for reading my post and have a bless day and night.

Attachments

• State_Recycling_Laws.PNG
    State_Recycling_Laws.PNG
    866 bytes · Views: 14
i have bought a lot of batteries over the last many years in california, colorado, oregon and washington. i have not found a way to buy a new battery with out paying the core fee. i have at times when i did not have a core to return been able to find a friend or neighbor that had and old dead battery they were glad to get rid of.

properly recycling old batteries can varry from area to area. when i am in a new area, i call the local landfill/transfer station and ask where and how i can do it. they have always been able to tell me or refer me to where i can get the info.

PS, if you find a way to buy core charge free batteries, i would like to hear about it. i often have to deal with the core issue when i install a new system for someone and they dont have cores because they are expanding with new and not replacing

It is not the store imposing the core charge, it is the governing body, state or county. Some jurisdictions have less $$ than others $$$.

Yes required by law, and it's an excellent law!

Just like buying a can of Coke, no one will let you avoid the 5¢ deposit.

Not hard to find old scrap batts around.

Or just pay it, next time you'll have one to trade.

Here in California my local battery contact is also very particular about the core, 6 for a 6 ,12 for a 12.

1. go to a dedicated battery store. no auto parts, no warehouse, no junk yard.
2. some states waive the core for renewable energy use.
3. I sell my old batteries if I am not using for a core. they are still worth money, it's just harder to find buyers now a days. 7-10 bucks each.
4. not every state charges you a deposit on Coke cans or any beverage containers. we need to stop generalizing on stuff we don't know.
5. AGM are lead acid batteries they are treated like all other lead acid nothing special as far as recycling.
6. I have no idea what to do with old lithium batteries.

highdesertranger

Here at Glen Canyon National Recreation Area the National Park Service has "encouraged" recycling and at marinas actually have locations to leave batteries and waste oil rather than having them end up in the lake. They take all kinds as they are self serve. Just another reason to have a pass as for a lot of us it is a long way to a recycle center.