Pump ideas/help needed for Eco temp L5 please...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krenov72

Reaction score
Bit of back story... living in an older rv... stationary... I am presently not using the water system in the rv... and have been using a bucket shower I made.. works ok but kinda low pressure, and heating the water takes awhile.... I purchased an Eco temp L5 from amazon.. be here in about a week... I tried using a 1/6 hp utility submersible pump , with a garden hose and a nozzle that could be easily left on( not a squeeze grip.. )it worked well, but went through a bit of water, and it took 6 or 8 gallons to get about a four and a half minute shower.. I know.. take a navy shower haha... the problem was heating that much water used a lot of propane and time... like over half an hour with my BBQ side burner.... I was thinking the pump would work well for the Eco temp, but I'm not sure if it is at least 20 psi... seems about as strong a flow as a garden hose.. but maybe not.. for now, having ample shore power, I thought it would be easier than going the 12v route, although when I get set up to go mobile, that will be my choice. Anyone have any input? Thanks.

Wait until you have your device and test it. If not enough pressure it will not fire.

I know it won't fire. I have a new 1/6 pump that I can return( still in the box)... I have a week or so before the unit gets here , and would like to sort out the pump issues if possible before it gets here... especially if I have to online order a pump... plugging in right now would be so much easier... but they seem less common or more expensive. This rv is a temporary setup, and the previous owner rewired a bunch of the wiring to 'fix' a ton of issues , so I don't trust it, and am not using it. I do have house batteries and a charger, but would have to totally revamp and set it up. So I would have to set up a battery bank.. charger, and a 12v pump.. or I could just plug something in... but it may come down to trial and error

There are cheap water pressure gauges available any place they sell plumbing fittings. Ace. Lowe's. Home depot. Senn's Plumbing. Hook up a valve and gauge. See what pressure your pump can handle with what flow.

That's a good idea.. I did find a reasonably priced pump to suit my needs online... but I have to plumb a holding tank. I was leaning towards a submersible to just drop it in a bucket or Rubbermaid bin...