Recommendation needed for water heater coil/rod

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrailerManNJ

Reaction score
I was originally going to invest in a RinseKit, but the reviews on their units are very spotty, and as they're expensive, I'm not willing to pull the trigger. Sooo...

I've decided to go for the KISS principle instead, and save a few bucks to boot. I'll be getting an Ivation water pump/shower head, and drop it in a 4 gallon bucket when I need an army shower.

But I need a way to warm the water. I realize that I can boil some up each time I want a shower, but this seems impractical and a hassle. I've been looking at the submersible hot water coils/rods, and there are a zillion brands out there to choose from.

Can anyone recommend a dependable brand/unit (preferably UL rated) that can safely be used by plugging into a Ecoflow power station? Most of the ones I'm seeing are 1,000 to 1,500 watts, which would be too high for the Ecoflow, as the model I'm getting is only 700 watts. I need a heater coil about 500-600 watts, and while I've seen them this low, these appear much smaller, and used primarily for heating beverages, soups, etc.

Anyone have any suggestions, tips or advice to share?

Trying to heat 4 or 5 gallons of water with a small portable battery pack is going to leave you with a dead battery pack and room temperature water.

There are many other options that will actually work such as solar, propane, etc.

If you are really wanting to heat water with an electrical element it will need to be powered by your vehicle's running engine/alternator or a good-sized solar array.

You can buy 12v wind power diversion load water heater elements but it will be a DIY project, not a plug and play solution. Another option might be 12v RV holding tank heater pads...you could stick one on the underside of a bucket and plug into your 12v source.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Physics 101......It takes about 100 watts to raise 1 gallon of water 40 degrees.......those are some tough #'s to deal with without resorting to using (excess) Solar .......or of course shore power

I own an EcoFlow Delta. I'm assuming you're thinking about getting a River. My question for you is why? The EcoFlow battery chemistry has an 800 cycle life. There are other brands that do better, like Bluetti. I bought the Delta because it had a large inverter and it was on sale for $950. I didn't want to spend the extra for the AC200P (3500 cycles). The Delta also had the convenience of an integrated power supply. I made a conscious decision that it would be ok if it needed to be replaced after 2 or 3 years. Just wanted you to be aware.

Not sure if this will work for you but when I take "Army field showers" I use Fish tank aquarium heaters.
They are low draw and if you have the time to start early enough they will warm the water pretty good.
Maybe not piping hot but it sure beats a cold shower. Get a cover to keep the heat in.

They come in wattages from 25 up to 500watts

I always wrap the jug or bucket I'm heating the water in with towels to insulate and keep the heat in.
I've done this quite a few times and it works well for me.

Many different types and wattages available, and convieniently, they can hang right over the edge into the water safely.

I'm with the poster that pointed out just how much power it takes to heat water. Physics can be a bitch! For me, it comes down to where and how I am getting power. I have a converted cargo trailer that does not have a built-in water heater, but I did include shower space.

1. If I am plugged into shore power, I have an AC water heater I put into a bucket of water and a USB pump that moves the hot water to my shower head.
2. If I am in the outback, I heat water on my propane stove and put it in the same bucket.
3. If you insist on heating water using DC from your batteries, you will need to use a LOT of solar or use gas (vehicle engine or generator) to keep your batteries from totally discharging.

I'm with the poster that pointed out just how much power it takes to heat water. Physics can be a bitch! For me, it comes down to where and how I am getting power. I have a converted cargo trailer that does not have a built-in water heater, but I did include shower space.

1. If I am plugged into shore power, I have an AC water heater I put into a bucket of water and a USB pump that moves the hot water to my shower head.
2. If I am in the outback, I heat water on my propane stove and put it in the same bucket.
3. If you insist on heating water using DC from your batteries, you will need to use a LOT of solar or use gas (vehicle engine or generator) to keep your batteries from totally discharging.
I almost forgot... I have seen videos about people that built passive solar water heaters on top of their vehicles using black PVC pipes. Might be worth looking into.