Protecting yourself

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanavalk

Reaction score
Hi all vandwellers. You can see I'm new to the forum and I have read all 15 pages and many many post. One subject not broached is the matter of weapons while traveling. I HAVE done some part time vandwelling and like to be ready for any serious confrontations that may arise. I also am a 20+ year correctional officer, US Army vet (MP) and gun enthusiast. Not necessarily in that order. It is  almost always best to try to de-escalate a fight or flight situation first. How do most of you take care of your personal and family safety? Do you sleep with a knife? If you carry a hand gun, how do you travel through the myriad of differing state laws? Can you travel through California or New York legally? If you, being a law abiding citizen all you life, get caught with a gun in NY it's jail time. I know its BS but the laws don't always protect the innocent. How about carrying mace? The professional canisters can shoot 25 feet and allow you to run away or run toward the bad guy to teach him a lesson about the dangers of his job. For the most part, it is pretty safe out there. On the other hand...be prepared. How do you do it???

&nbsp; Welcome to the forums vanawalk! You must have missed this section of the forums - <a href="/?forum=201988" rel="nofollow">https://vanlivingforum.com/?forum=201988</a><br>We don't carry any weapons and have never felt that we were in any danger but I know that many of the members do have some type of personal protection. Lots of reading in the Safety on the Road section!

And what about for hunting?<br><br>Complicating the matter is whether one plans to enter Canada and/or Mexico.

From Wikipedia, here is info regarding non-residents transporting firearms in New York:<br><br><p style="margin: 0.4em 0px 0.5em; line-height: 19.190340042114258px; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 12.727272033691406px; text-shadow: none;"><strong>New York state law provides restricted exceptions for interstate transportation of firearms by non-residents. Non-residents may transport through New York state any lawful firearm to any place without New York where an individual may lawfully possess and carry such firearm.</strong></p><p style="margin: 0.4em 0px 0.5em; line-height: 19.190340042114258px; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 12.727272033691406px; text-shadow: none;"><strong>While in transit within New York state, the firearm must be unloaded. The firearm and any ammunition for it must not be easily accessible by anyone in the vehicle's driver or passenger area. For example, the gun and ammunition must be kept in the storage area of the vehicle, such as a car's "trunk." In vehicle's without a storage area separate from the driver or passenger compartment, the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.</strong></p>

If you get rousted by the cops, one of the first things they'll ask you is 'do you have any weapons in the vehicle?' and if your answer is 'yes' you're going to be in for an interesting night.<br><br>You always have your tire iron if it comes down to it, but best bet is to just drive away.<br><br>But then again, I live in Canada.

This is something I was also thinking about. I do sleep with a K-Bar close to me. I also have a stun gun, a machete(and hatchet with my camping gear), a baseball bat(also have a ball and glove), wasp spray, pepper spray, and a flare gun(I am pretty sure that a 12 gauge flare in the face or chest would ruin somebody's day) . I would prefer to carry my .357 and 12 gauge, but I don't think it would be worth the possible trouble.

Not sure how I missed that informative thread on <span style="text-decoration: underline;">safety</span>, firearms, knives, tire irons, machete's, bladed hand to the throat, eye gouging and the ever popular kick to the hacky sak. I did certainly learn a few things tool I like the camera idea. Take a photo or video of a potential bad guy and put it on FB in real time while telling the possible perp of your cinematic skill. &nbsp; Also, the flare gun idea is kind of a work-around gun laws in states that aren't to carry friendly. I wonder if flare guns are OK in Canada and Mexico? As I see it, everyone will be comfortable with there own level of protection. It runs the gamut of good communication skills to avoiding states that don't allow a rolling arsenal. My opinion would be to have <em>some</em> plan in place if the hair on the back of your neck stands up. Just because one might stay away from the Martin Luther King Drives of the country, criminals are everywhere. My thought, I have met a lot of seemingly "nice guys" in prison doing life.

I don't find I have ever needed protection in my 69 years so just have my ordinary tools of life around me in the van. I do have a few knives and always, when not flying or going into a government agency)&nbsp; carry at least two knives on my person...not as weapons but I was raised that men carried that tool. In the van I have a small pepper-spray close at hand and in the back is a can of wasp spray and after putting out a couple fires recently with an extinguisher, that is a pretty effective tool for defense....hehehe<br><br>I travel out of the country often so it is pretty much a moot point for me, no where else I know of in the civilized world would it be legal for me to carry a handgun and/or much of a knife. <br><br> If I went around feeling I have to have a weapon in my own home country, I would be afraid to go anywhere else. I find the kind of thinking that requires me to have a weapon is just too limiting.<br><br> I use a cane when traveling/hiking/walking and I am adept at smacking someone with it....I had to do that in Panama to a guy that was getting in my and my wife's faces and when we turned to walk away, he spit on my back........it worked wonders and I am glad to know how effective it is...<br><br>Having known a few correctional officers and parole/probation guys and LE's, I know that you all have a different view of people than I do...I am not in contact with the bad chaps and I know they exist and some really need to be in custody.....I don't envy that view of humanity but I am sure glad that someone is willing to do that work....it has to be pretty dang tough. Thanks for your service in all your work as well as the service.<br><br>That is just me....I know others have very different views, and you will hear from them...this has been discussed on here ad infinitum.<br><br>Peace,<br>Bri<br><br>

Vanavalk

If - in your capacity as a corrections officer- had arrest authority, and are active duty or retired, check out the Law Enforcement Safety Act which permits LEOs to carry concealed in any state, with minor restrictions. You need a photo ID provided by your agency and, if retired, evidence of having completed a qualification in the past year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enforcement_Officers_Safety_Act

bk2valve said:
I don't find I have ever needed protection in my 69 years...
<br><br>Though you have a few years on me, I too have never been in a situation where a weapon was the answer. Maybe I've been lucky.

When I traveled to canada (rocky mountains). &nbsp;I carried bear spray&nbsp;across&nbsp;the boarder without problem. &nbsp;I know that is not possible with pepper spray for use on humans. &nbsp;I always kept it near the bed when sleeping&nbsp;whether&nbsp;in walmart parking lot or grizzly country. &nbsp;Haven't used it yet knock on wood.

<span id="post_message_1276662691">Though you have a few years on me, I too have never been in a situation where a weapon was the answer. Maybe I've been lucky.</span>
<br><br>I am sure that's the case Mr. Noodley, I feel I am incredibly fortunate, in many ways....but I also believe we create our own reality...that is a big part of my personal spiritual belief system. <br><br>I can add that I have lived in many, many places in the US, from inner city to the Alaskan bush and traveled a lot of the third world. I have lived in a number of different types of vehicles sometimes for years at a time and roamed and hitched and traveled in every conceivable way except by freight or freighter and only twice was I ever in physical danger from a human with a weapon and neither time would a weapon of any kind done anything but escalate the problem and probably ended with me injured, dead or in prison. Both times were resolved by gut instinctual action and neither time did anything develop other than it ended with me being left alone. <br><br>Of course that is just my experience but that is what I have to go by....<br><br>Again...YMMV and I am extremely grateful to not have been in other circumstances where a weapon would be the answer. <br><br>I know others who believe a weapon would have saved the day in their own experience and of course they carry a weapon of one kind or another. I can't fault them for that...I just don't like camping with them...I saw a couple guns at the RTR and that was part of my leaving quite early. My fears have not to do with bad guys and guns, but from so many people being armed and zero control over who is.<br> <br id="tinymce" class="mceContentBody ">Bri

bk2valve said:
...from inner city to the Alaskan bush...
<br><br>As I was watching "Alaska State Troopers" last night, it hit me that with the drug dealers, addicts, drunks, thieves, poachers, spouse abusers, and other scum and losers they deal with, Alaska doesn't look much different than the inner city—except for the scenery.<br><br>But that's the thing with law enforcement. They spend their time dealing with the problem people—whatever the location—not the law-abiding populace. When the camera follows them around, it creates the impression the whole world is crawling with troublemakers, that it's a very dangerous place.

My wife worked as an Alaska State Trooper/911 dispatcher in Kodiak and Soldotna AK for about 4 years. Since she had less seniority than most she often worked graves or swing. She says that some nights when she left work she would be almost afraid to walk outside due to all the drama she had dealt with that night...of course it was peaceful and calm out and we never really saw all that drama but the troopers sure did.<br><br>I have never lived any place other than Alaska and NYC where I would be afraid to leave my vehicle beside the road if I broke down. Either place they would be trashed and/or stripped by morning...that is just the truth...the highway between Soldotna and Anchorage&nbsp; regularly had a car parked with all windows broken out and often bullet holes in it.<br><br>AK is the end of the road for many...It had the highest concentration of Vietnam combat veterans, many living in the bush with a perimeter set up and highly guarded. Many criminals end up there as a place to go to hide while on the run...nearly everyone is or was there to get away from something. True for me as well...I was fed up with what I thought was "the world"&nbsp; but it turned out to be myself I was trying to run from...Haha, good joke on me...<br><br>In the four years my wife dispatched troopers, the main homicides were results of domestic disputes...called a "Spenard divorce" after a sleazy part of Anchorage, Spenard road. Sometimes drunken events and some were bar fights, but most were suicides, gun accidents and domestic shootings...<br><br>I know of nowhere with the gun concentration more than Alaska...I actually had a neighbor who would shoot an automatic weapon at times...yep, everyone had semi-autos but this guy had some kind of fully auto. Spooky.<br><br>Edited to say: the thing with the AST is that they usually have really large areas to deal with. The entry requirements are extremely difficult and I have a lot of respect for them. When I worked for the feds there...NPS and USFWS...our LE's were always people who could not pass the AST entry requirements. They were good folks but the requirements were really tough.<br><br>Peace,<br>Bri<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Bri, my SIL worked as an AST for about eight [I think] years.&nbsp; The tales he tells are amazing!&nbsp; He still keeps in close touch with other ASTs on FB and at reunions.&nbsp; There is a strong bond there.&nbsp;

"When <SPAN style="COLOR: #ff00ff">seconds <SPAN style="COLOR: #000000">count, the police are only <SPAN style="COLOR: #ff00ff">minutes <SPAN style="COLOR: #000000">away" pretty well sums up why I'm prepared to&nbsp;protect myself and family by firearms or whatever, until the police finally arrive (assuming I was ever able to contact them in the first place).</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN>

<span id="post_message_1276668112">Bri, my SIL worked as an AST for about eight [I think] years.&nbsp; The tales he tells are amazing!&nbsp; He still keeps in close touch with other ASTs on FB and at reunions.&nbsp; There is a strong bond there.&nbsp;</span>
<br><br>Very cool, MT. They are the tops in my eyes. You can be proud. There is a strong bond for sure...<br>Thanks,<br>Bri