Pros/Cons of Subaru Outback?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechnoRose

Reaction score
I wasn't sure if the subaru outback counted as a "car" or misc.

Its a lovely car. Got some great kick to it. Under 100k miles, well maintained. Slept in it once, comfy... other than its almost impossible to sit up completely while the back is all flattened out. That's what I've noticed. Otherwise, my family has control over the title so I can't do any major modifications, but I'd like to use it as a tester for what I want if I get a van OR if I get a trailer. I think the subaru has some good pulling power, but doesn't that decrease stealth at night if we don't have a campsite?

An outback with a teardrop?  NICE!

Attachments

• IMG_1777 Yosemite TD.JPG
    IMG_1777 Yosemite TD.JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 13
The Outback is a great car but it's too small to tow anything but the smallest trailers. Like John said, a tear drop or Runaway would be perfect for it!

You can't stealth park in the city in a trailer--just can't happen. You can use the "just passing through" look with it. But not for long.
Bob

My sister just traded in her somewhat smaller Subaru Forrester AWD. Got herself the Honda Fit. She'd had no problems with the Subaru, just wanted a newer vehicle. She considered new Subarus expensive for what they gave. I liked them some years back, but am put off by the newer styling - "Soccermom XL".

I spent 6 to 8 weeks at a time, for 5 years living out of a Subaru Forester (~6" shorter than the Outback).  You can make it work, but just for sleeping.  You spend most of your time outside (sucks when it rains for 3 or more days).  No privacy, unless you want to make covers for all 8 windows.  I boondock and sleep in my clothes, so it wasn't a problem for me.  Not much room for 'stuff'.  I removed the front seat (it is easily replaceable), built up a platform with plastic tubs (storage!), and made a bed that I could stretch out in (I'm 5'9" and its very important for me).  Always have to rearrange things for sleeping or driving.  I could sit up, but only by scrunching my head down; not very comfortable.  You will have lots of condensation on the inside windows if it is below the dew point and frost if it is below freezing.

I slept in populated areas a couple of times with no problems, just overnight, leave in the morning.  It is obvious what you are doing.  I have been a backpacker for 50+ years, so I already had the gear and mentality to make it work.  It is a little warmer and more comfortable that a backpacking tent, but about the same amount of room.  -- Spiff

subaru camper 1.jpg

Attachments

• subaru camper 1.jpg
    subaru camper 1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 24
Know what you are getting into mechanically with them. Some years/drivetrains are better than others. They can have a tendency to blow headgaskets. Here in New England they are pretty much the unofficial king of winter cars due to standard AWD on most of them.

The only problem I have seen is that for some reason farm animals find the trim on them tasty.   :huh: :p

Not so stealthy, but still cool nevertheless.

uploadfromtaptalk1431705053398.png

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1431705053398.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1431705053398.png
    366.1 KB · Views: 28
IIRC all subaru models, from the "compact" impreza to the tribeca crossover are only rated to tow 2000lbs. probably just a number their lawyer threw out there for them to publish.
Other than being the arch enemy to my favourite brand my only beef with subaru is the cockpits are small, I'm only 6 foot and haven't met a subaru where I didn't bonk my knee or head. In a legacy/outback my choice would be one with the EJ22 2.2L in the long run they have proven a bit more durable than the EJ25 2.5l. The 2.5, especially in DOHC form makes good power but they have more head gasket problems. I would consider a forester a better choice than a legacy/outback though, they have a smaller footprint but are taller.

Another option is rooftop tents, I saw a legacy/outback a few years back with one. I'm not sure I would want to stay in a rooftop tent for more than a few weeks at a time though.

TechnoRose said:
... its almost impossible to sit up completely while the back is all flattened out ...

In my Prius I only flatten out part of the back, and sit and lounge in the other part.  That is, the back seats are 60/40 split.  I put a cot-size mattress on the flattened out 60% side, and keep the 40% side as a seat.  You might consider that as an option.

Here is a link with pictures of my bed set up -- http://suanneonline.blogspot.com/p/the-bed-updated-april-2015.html

Here is a photo of the 40% seat (next to the 60% bed).

[img=360x640]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-H08AmpnSi...22Qg6MWA/s1600/IMG_20150416_152326a.jpg[/img]

Subaru's are throw away cars. use once throw away. by once I mean 10-15 years. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
Subaru's are throw away cars.   use once throw away.  by once I mean 10-15 years.  highdesertranger
Boy that can be true, my mom had an older Brat that needed a carb. I'm not sure the whole story, as I lived several states away, but apparently it was going to cost more for the carb, if they could get it, than she paid for the whole car. 

It sounds like the original poster already has the car though, and if that's the case I'm a big advocate of using what you have, until it no longer works for you. I think any wagon can make a good road car, as long as you can minimize to the max.

masterplumber said:
Boy that can be true, my mom had an older Brat that needed a carb. I'm not sure the whole story, as I lived several states away, but apparently it was going to cost more for the carb, if they could get it, than she paid for the whole car. 

It sounds like the original poster already has the car though, and if that's the case I'm a big advocate of using what you have, until it no longer works for you. I think any wagon can make a good road car, as long as you can minimize to the max.

Yeah this is what I already have access to. I don't need it for full time living right now, just as a place to sleep. We've already had it for a while, but its been maintained and I can continue to afford to maintain it while I save for the van.

Spaceman Spiff said:
I spent 6 to 8 weeks at a time, for 5 years living out of a Subaru Forester (~6" shorter than the Outback).  You can make it work, but just for sleeping.  You spend most of your time outside (sucks when it rains for 3 or more days).  No privacy, unless you want to make covers for all 8 windows.  I boondock and sleep in my clothes, so it wasn't a problem for me.  Not much room for 'stuff'.  I removed the front seat (it is easily replaceable), built up a platform with plastic tubs (storage!), and made a bed that I could stretch out in (I'm 5'9" and its very important for me).  Always have to rearrange things for sleeping or driving.  I could sit up, but only by scrunching my head down; not very comfortable.  You will have lots of condensation on the inside windows if it is below the dew point and frost if it is below freezing.

I slept in populated areas a couple of times with no problems, just overnight, leave in the morning.  It is obvious what you are doing.  I have been a backpacker for 50+ years, so I already had the gear and mentality to make it work.  It is a little warmer and more comfortable that a backpacking tent, but about the same amount of room.  -- Spiff

That's awesome! Thank you for sharing, this is encouraging. Noticed the lack of space when we tried to sleep in it. Since its me and my fiance, generally we have double the stuff haha. Just need the outback as a part time sleeper anyway. Not living home yet, just need to have a bed 3-5 days of the week if possible. I'm probably going to have to get curtains cause I don't see stealth happening without them.

Check your local laws and ordinances, but you should be able to use very dark window film on the back windows. Less so on the driver and front passenger doors. That would help.

LeeRevell said:
Check your local laws and ordinances, but you should be able to use very dark window film on the back windows.  Less so on the driver and front passenger doors.  That would help.

Is that permanent? The car belongs to a family member so I can't really alter it (aka, why I'm saving up for a van I can alter to my hearts desire)

UGH! Subaru is one of my biggest hot buttons. The one and only time I had one it literally cost me more in repairs than it did to buy the car brand spanking new. Absolutely no exaggeration. After only making it to approximately 80k it intentionally cracked the engine block so my wife would have to pick another car.

It's a long story so I won't get started but just keep in mind that repairs are at killer costs. I swear every time it went to the shop the cost started at 500 bucks and went up from there. God, I still hate Subaru vehicles right up to today. But great driving car if you can afford the repairs. Granted I probably got a rare lemon but I also got a good lesson on Subaru's repair costs.

vanman2300 said:
UGH! Subaru is one of my biggest hot buttons. The one and only time I had one it literally cost me more in repairs than it did to buy the car brand spanking new. Absolutely no exaggeration. After only making it to approximately 80k it intentionally cracked the engine block so my wife would have to pick another car.

It's a long story so I won't get started but just keep in mind that repairs are at killer costs. I swear every time it went to the shop the cost started at 500 bucks and went up from there. God, I still hate Subaru vehicles right up to today. But great driving car if you can afford the repairs. Granted I probably got a rare lemon but I also got a good lesson on Subaru's repair costs.

Yeah, I'm just trying to make due until I save enough for a van.

Lemons exist in all makes, even the best names. My sister never had any serious troubles with her Subaru Forester. A co-worker had a LOT of trouble with her Cadillac. So that is no indication that a certain brand is more prone to problems.
For many years I hated Fords with a passion. Now I own two of them.