Considering first time nomad prep

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awpz0r

Reaction score
Hello all. Sorry this is a bit long, I need to provide some background info: I am 32 and have lived in the same 5 mile radius (Southern California) my entire life. I am really interested in preparing for a nomad lifestyle. I do have a lot of fears of traveling the unknown, which for me is basically everywhere. 

I am in an uncomfortable situation currently. My savings are pretty much nothing, but I have 0 debt. My problem is after my father died I used what he left me and pooled together with some other family to purchase a house. Everything was so crazy at the time and I just wanted to feel secure so I did not argue too much on how much we spent. It resulted in us overextending in my opinion. Monthly water and power is often 500+, there are lots of other expenses as well. We do struggle to get by and I have a constant fear of what will happen when we can no longer afford the mortgage. I want to do what I can to make a livable setup to at least be able to get by during the transition period in the event we decide to sell the place and go our separate ways. I realize I would have some money after selling the house but I don't want to waste anything my dad left me and it would/will cost a good amount in the transition period. If I don't go this route, I would need to spend a lot on a temporary apartment. Out here, just renting a bedroom in a house can cost 800 a month. I want to have this prius camper setup so that I have time to think about my options and can carefully decide what to do when things get to that point. Even if I end up getting a permanent residence I want to use this car for long term trips. It just sounds so cool to me.

I want to keep this as cheap as possible for now so I started by buying a gen2 prius because they are pretty amazing little cars, I actually first got the desire to do this from watching some youtube videos from this channel. I got a decent deal, a 2006 with 120k miles in near perfect condition for about 5500 clean title (I kinda spent just about everything I had on it, but its a necessity). There is something very appealing to me about having a daily driver with amazing mpg that I can also stealth live out of (not to mention you basically have a generator on wheels). I have several modifications I have planned once I get a bit of $$, and there are 2 paths I can go. Light modification and heavy modification. 

The light modification would mostly be throwing a piece of plywood in the back with a memory foam mattress on top, and purchasing a few items like a yeti battery pack, mobile solar panels, cigarette lighter power inverter, and a few other electronics for cooking and such. This might be ok for camping, and getting the feel for what it will be like to sleep in the car, but I wouldn't be prepared for much with it. 

The heavier modification is the route I would like to end up with, and would involve removing the rear seats for more room, making a platform for the bed with storage underneath. This would allow room for clothing, appliances, and various other things. This plus a gym membership will provide me with basically everything I need. The main reason I signed up just now  (aside from seeking general advice), was for a specific mod that I can't seem to find an easy solution for. To make things comfortable I want to have more than just a bed, I don't want to have to get out of my car (especially if I am an urban stealth setting), to move to a seat. If I remove the back seats I would have no other option than to get out of the car to sit upfront. So, I want to reverse install the front passenger seat. This would give the feeling of a bit more room and allow me to go from bed  to chair fairly easily. This would also work as a laptop work space since my dominant right hand would be in the middle of the car instead of against the door and  a makeshift computer desk/mouse setup could workout. 

The problem with this is that you cant just turn the seat around and bolt it in. I would need some sort of metal fabrication place to do a custom job for me which seems like it might be pricey (If anyone has info on this please let me know! If I can have it bolted in backwards and get a lap belt I think it would be legal to use while driving right?). So I was hoping for some tips on some awesome/comfy chair options that would fit in the front passenger area of the prius facing backwards (not bolted in,  in this case I would just remove the front passenger seat and set the replacement chair down, could do this with the passenger seat itself but if it isn't going to be bolted in I might as well see what other options there are. The downside of this plan is that the only functional seat would be the driver seat lol. I might be ok with this.

Long term I am hoping Tesla comes out with an affordable cargo van, or potentially move to a nissan nv200 if the prius size feels too restricting. That or I will move somewhere cheaper to live. I decided against a large gas powered Sprinter type van because the mpg just feels wasteful. Any advice as welcome, thanks for taking the time to read this.

First of all- ZERO debt is very good. If you can keep it that way, you are well ahead of the "game". Still, get yourself a cc or two for incidentals and pay them off each and every month! At your age, you may need a good credit history in the future, should you choose a more mainstream life. Build it now.

I get the Prius idea and know someone who thrives in her's. My concern would be the need for a bit more space and ability to carry a rack for maybe essentials atop the car so you wouldn't have to shift everything around each day. Or maybe you'll want a bike or kayak so you can enjoy outdoor fun. You never know. This vagabond-life can be more than just driving hither and thither. It can be fun.

I understand the mpg are as high as 45 on a Prius but there are small SUV types which get about 32 mpg and that is not bad, at all.

Whatever you decide, please get yourself a good nylon (impregnated silicon) tent. Even if you don't buy your gear at a Mom & Pop store, go to one and let them advise you on gear necessary for car camping. This is what they do and are willing to help others do it, too. 

Best Wishes.

Lathren James

Welcome to the CRVL forums awpz0r!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.