2001 Subaru Forester modifications for camping

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is what these short test runs are all about.  Think if you had gone right into a longterm car-dwelling situation!  That would have been very miserable!

when it's hot I sleep outside. in fact I only sleep inside when it's freezing, raining hard, or snowing. I have excepted that rule a few times also. maybe a tent is in order. even though I hardly use a tent, some people find comfort in them. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
when it's hot I sleep outside. in fact I only sleep inside when it's freezing, raining hard, or snowing. I have excepted that rule a few times also. maybe a tent is in order. even though I hardly use a tent, some people find comfort in them. highdesertranger

I plan to keep the Subaru as an overland/adventure vehicle... and with that in mind, I have been considering (since before I started working on the interior camp setup) is a roof mounted tent. However, they are fairly expensive... we will see how that goes.

Requ21

Watch out for weight overload on the Subaru roof, I believe it's fairly low so a roof tent might not be a reasonable option

subielivin said:
Watch out for weight overload on the Subaru roof, I believe it's fairly low so a roof tent might not be a reasonable option
I was concerned about this, however the general concensus with in the Forester community is that roof top tents are safe on Foresters, due to the difference in static load, vs driving load. I'm not sure of the specifics, but I'm just repeating what others have told me.

I found this picture, and it is essentially what I envision.

uploadfromtaptalk1439260923241.jpg

Requ21

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1439260923241.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1439260923241.jpg
    102.9 KB
Well, Requ21, I guess I'm not clear on the advantages of a roof tent vs a regular tent...other than a certain admitted cool factor.

With a ground tent, you have the option of getting one you can stand up in, for example. If you are going to be living OUT of your car for any length of time, a shelter (from rain, sun, wind) that you can stand in would seem a big advantage to me.

Before I found my former transit van at a salvage yard price, I was even thinking of one of the Coleman's that has the "instant-up" outer framework. Sets up in something under 2 minutes. The medium sized one would allow me to stand and it had plenty of room. Packed up, the size is very manageable. (I looked at the package in a Target store.)

But maybe there are reasons for the tent version I'm just not seeing? Curious about your thoughts on it.

From a camping perspective, it has very little advantage, except the cool factor you mentioned.

But for an overland vehicle.

The major advantage is the ground you will be covering.. overlanding/expedition vehicles are built to cover large distances off road.. often times where you stop to set up camp will be muddy, or rocky, or some other non ideal geographic arrangement that would make utilizing a traditional tent a nightmare.

I will be building it slowly to allow to also start putting away money on a van... right now I'm really liking the Nissan NV vans, I just wish they had a diesel option.

100 degree heat is very hard in every circumstance. Even at night it just cools to 80 and that is too hot to sleep in. Start investigating ways to cool down. A fan blowing directly over you might work.

This just my opinion and many people will probably disagree. I love remote backroads! On a regular basis I either get stuck or turn around because my 1 ton van can't make it.

Based on my experience I wouldn't consider a Subaru or a regular van of any kind. These roads beat the crap put of your vehicle and breaking down in the middle of nowhere is just not an option. The three things you MUST have in my mind are:

1) Ground clearance and tons of it
2) 4-wheel low
3) Tough as nails frame and commonly available 4x4 parts.

My first choices would be a 4-door Jeep or Toyota Tacoma. Next would be some other real SUV with a frame or a 4x4 pickup. 4x4 van is ideal, but out of my price range.

Just my opinion but based on some real world experience.
Bob

I've always though a Tacoma with a cap on the back could be perfectly converted for living out of. If I didn't have a Subaru that would be my next option

Sorry to hear that your maiden voyage wasn't enjoyable. If you want something more ready for overland, I'd follow Bob's advice and get a 4x4 truck/suv. If it's you and your significant other, I'd suggest a midsize suv like the mid to late 90's Toyota 4Runner. Those are rock-solid, reliable, and plentiful, but are expensive due to their great resale value. If it's just you, I'd get a longbed F150 or Silverado. I've got a high top camper on my Ranger, and I love it. But I'm only 5'9" and I have to lie down sideways in it. I always liked camping in a truck camper best.

akrvbob said:
This just my opinion and many people will probably disagree. I love remote backroads! On a regular basis I either get stuck or turn around because my 1 ton van can't make it.

Based on my experience I wouldn't consider a Subaru or a regular van of any kind. These roads beat the crap put of your vehicle and breaking down in the middle of nowhere is just not an option. The three things you MUST have in my mind are:

1) Ground clearance and tons of it
2) 4-wheel low
3) Tough as nails frame and commonly available 4x4 parts.

My first choices would be a 4-door Jeep or Toyota Tacoma. Next would be some other real SUV with a frame or a 4x4 pickup. 4x4 van is ideal, but out of my price range.

Just my opinion but based on some real world experience.
Bob

I agree with points 1 and 2, and in general point 3. The thing with the Subaru, especially my Forester is that they share chassis and suspension/steering systems with the Impreza.. which has been built for, and has been winning World Rally Championships since it was first released... Now, I'm not saying that my Subrau is rally car tough, but they are a very strong base from which to build a rugged car.

I definitly like the low range option, which, fun fact... was avaliable from Subaru in Australia up to 2009... Importing an Austrailian transmission with low range, has crossed my mind, but the cost is insane.

I wanted a k5 blazer for the longest time... but I haven't found one anywhere in the last 3 years that wasn't entirely rotted out.

4x4 vans are definitly on my list.. as I mentioned, I'm a fan of the Nissan NV2500 high top... and Quigley now does a 4x4 conversion, but the cost of $12,000 is a bit high.

I appreciate your advice!

Requ21

subielivin said:
I've always though a Tacoma with a cap on the back could be perfectly converted for living out of. If I didn't have a Subaru that would be my next option

If I were to build a Toyota, I'd build an early 90s 4runner... I wanted one all through high school.

Requ21

Yeah I agree, the first gen with removable top have always caught my eye. My friend's was stuck in a swamp for a week with the engine block basically resting on mud, finally got it out and ran like a champ

ok I was waiting for someone to break the ice. Subaru's are not off road vehicles, they are built for driving on highways in ice and snow, at this they excel. they can handle improved dirt roads and even a little bit of unimproved dirt roads. but they are not meant for heavy duty off road use. to say a race/rally car is the same that you buy from a car dealer is naïve at best. that's like saying a nascar chevy Impala is the same as the one you buy from a chevy dealer or a class 8 off road ford truck has anything in common with a ford you buy off the lot. sorry about being negative but I look at the big picture. remember the Subaru Brats, the little pick ups with seats in the back. well there were thousands of them around here back in the day, but it's been at least 15 or 20 years since I have seen one running on the road. when as the last time you saw one? just saying. highdesertranger

I'm not arguing or trying to change your mind, but there is a world of difference between rallying and rock crawling and thinking a vehicle that's good at one will be good at the other might be a mistake.

Maybe you have something very different in mind, but I want go slower over bigger, taller and deeper obstacles and that's what a lot of overland travel is all about.

For real overlanding I'd want a lift and a locker and a rear end that can handle it.

That kind of torque breaks things so the components need to be strong and easily replaceable.
Bob

I definitely understand where you are both coming from. And I appreciate the insight.

Highdesertranger, I agree with you regarding what a Subaru is built for. I also understand the difference between a WRC car, and a showroom Subaru. I mentioned it only to illustrate the potential of the platform... however, to imply that a Forester can't handle actual off road situations, I will not agree with you on that point... mostly do to the fact that I've seen a Forester with the same amount of lift I'm planning, and very similar tires that I plan to run make it up engineers pass in Colorado, and he was being followed by a factory ride height forester with larger than factory tires... Now, is that what a Forester is built for? Absolutely not. Are there other vehicles that could do the same pass easier, and with less worry about ground clearance and traction limitations, absolutely. However if the economic model of "just go buy what is best suited for the job" matched my economic standing, I would have bought a Range Rover a long time ago (to the untrained eye, a Range Rover looks like a city dwelling on road luxury SUV... however, it's also one of the most capable off road vehicles you can buy off the showroom floor)... I'm sure you were aware of that, but I wanted to put it out for anyone reading along.

And Bob, I definitely wasn't trying to draw a direct comparison between rock crawling and rally racing, nor was a implying that a rally car would make a good overland car. That was simply a comment to the reliability and durability of the Impreza chassis.

I have a lift planned, and I agree that a locker would be ideal.. ARB is working on subaru air lockers, but I doubt they will be released in the North American market due to low demand, which is unfortunate.

With all this being said, I'm not attempting to claim to know more than anyone, or to claim that the Subaru Forester is the best off road vehicle that money can buy. What I am saying is that I love it, and it is what I will be building... however, since it is not going to meet my needs as a camper/dwelling vehicle... I will probably not be speaking much about it on this forum, as this isn't an off road forum.

I do hope to remain active on the forum as I continue to gain information, and plan my eventual van build!

Requ21.

Try looking at 1994 to 1997 fzj80 Toyota Land Cruiser. Had one and it was a beast. Never got stuck. Factory electric lockers. Huge tires. Unstoppable rock crawler plus gear hauler.

Love, it's what makes a Subaru a Subaru :D I understand exactly what Requ means. You don't want to do hardcore rock crawling or rallying, you just want it to be a more capable vehicle off-road, while retaining good on-road manners, correct? For that, the Forester will be great! I've worked on tons of old, beat up, 300k plus miles Foresters, and many people have them for exactly what Requ wants. Sure, if you want more space, you can move into a larger vehicle, but like previously mentioned, the Forester is paid off, already been modified, and is capable enough to handle mild off road situations. I think thats just about what Requ needs at the moment. +1 with the FZJ80, those things are awesome! But they get bad fuel mileage. Requ, if you want to move away from the car-based-overlanding, I strongly urge you to look at the Toyota Tacoma/4Runner platforms and Ford Ranger or F150. Those are all great, reliable vehicles that get decent mileage, all available with 4x4, good ground clearance, and have plenty of on/off-road performance, without coming in with a hefty price tag like a Land Cruiser or Range Rover. In the meantime, can we get some more pics? My mod-junkie side is craving a fix! Cheers!

well no one was suggesting anybody should leave the forum. a couple of us just pointed out the obvious. I am not trying to bust you dreams just trying to give you some advice, as I have driven 4x4's since I was about 10. I worked for a 4x4 company as a mechanic for several years. this company converted and sold 4x4 Toyota mini trucks before Toyota did. this company also invented the part time conversion for full time 4x4s. I have worked on every type of 4x4 made. I have also worked on and pitted for off road race trucks and buggies. just saying you do whatever makes you happy, but don't think we don't know what we are talking about. highdesertranger

Actually I'm sympathetic and until you said you would start looking for something else to live in, I never said anything against the Subaru because for what you are planning it's fine.

My thinking is that if you are looking for a different vehicle to live in, you would combine the two hobbies into one vehicle. For example a Tacoma is an excellent overland vehicle and a very good live-aboard vehcile so it is the best of both worlds.

I want to do exactly what you are talking about but a Tacoma is too small for me to live in for the rest of my life. So I'm going to get a 4x4 truck and tall shell. It won't be as good overland as the Tacoma, but the extra room is more than worth it to me because I am not a hard-core offroader.

It sounds you want to have two vehciles, the Subaru for overland and a van to live in. Is that right? Will you get a storage space to store one in while you are using the other?
Bob