Propane Stove: "For Outdoor Use Only." Why?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosmickGold

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have looked for a propane single-burner stove (without its own regulator since the line is already low-pressure regulated) that doesn't say "For outdoor use only", but haven't found even one.  So I purchased this stove which I'm using inside my van.  I have not found any stove that explains WHY  they say "For outdoor use only".  So can someone explain the technical reason for this warning, what's different about indoor propane stoves, and what I need to do to make mine indoor-safe?

Well, there is no containment around the burner. Look at a stove that is for indoor use.

You will need to put it over a non-combustible surface and not near combustible surfaces (wall?) nearby to use. A LOT of heat comes off the bottom of a burner.

And no outside venting either.

I've used coleman propane stoves indoors for short periods of time during power outages, and am alive to tell the tale. But camp stoves simply aren't built with the safety features of an indoor cooktop or range. Therefore the warnings. The manufacturer doesn't wanna get sued.

Because of the danger of CO gas. A vehicle is usually more confined than a house. Need lots of ventilation. Butane camp type stoves are used indoors for restaurant catering. Propane stoves are common in kitchens where natural gas is unavailable.

My van has a built in propane stove (CO, propane detector and smoke alarm). You can use propane indoors with proper precautions.

why does your stove say for outdoor use only? lawyers that's why.

highdesertranger

Gold, I use a single-burner Coleman propane stove and do 99% of my cooking outside. One thing about van life is, they always say "you don't live in your van, you live 'out' of it", so best get used to that idea ahead of time. Sitting in your van 24 hours a day would be living in a small cardboard box. Nada. You need to be a lover of nature.

So ignoring the lawyers, if you do use the stove inside the van, just be sure to open the doors to provide lots of ventilation when you do so. And as others have mentioned, get a CO detector too. And always have a fire extinquisher as a matter of course. Accidents do happen.

Residential gas ranges have automatic electric ignition systems and a permanent connection to the fuel supply.  Portable stoves get disconnected and reconnected by the user to replenish the fuel supply and  can be easily turned on without a flame being lit.  Both of those issues bring a risk that is mitigated by outdoor use where dilution of leaking unburned gas will reduce the chance of a bad outcome that would be followed by an attack by the lawyers. 

If you use an "outdoor" stove indoors your lawyer will have an uphill battle if you turn it on without lighting it or replace the fuel tank without reconnecting correctly. 

I have never seen a label on an "outdoor" stove explaining these issues.  Anything not on the label would be an opening for lawyers.  If there is no such label there is no issue that is missing.  For example, if you don't light the burner quickly enough there could be a flare up that could cause a fire.  If there was a label and that possible fire issue wasn't listed, lawyers could claim that the manufacturer was at fault for not warning the user.  Maybe the manufacturer should have warned the user's parents in anticipation of the user doing something stupid.

In the media was talk of bunkers that can be purchased. I checked out about 3 companies online, one being Rising S Company in Texas. They had a video of their bunker stoves, a stable denatured alcohol stove. I am not sure they sell them separate from the bunkers (couldn't find it), but I thought they were cool.

just realizing it is a dometic alcohol stove..sorta bulky but interesting

Qxxx said:
... "you don't live in your van, you live 'out' of it", ... You need to be a lover of nature.

... get a CO detector too. And always have a fire extinquisher....

I seriously agree with everything you said.  It is so true that we live "out" of our vans, not "in" them!  I do love nature; and have always felt like that's where God lives, so I want to be there too.  I love mountains, rain forests, gurgling streams, ocean waves, so that's where I'm headed; Colorado and then western Washington State (not the hot, flat dry deserts).

And about the other, I have two  CO / propane detectors, plus a smoke detector.  But I'm wondering what kind/size of fire extinguisher I should get.  I've seen one like my current small arisol-can extinguisher they used to try to extinguish a camp fire.  I was astonished that it did NOTHING I could see, beyond move the flame over a little for a moment.  They emptied the can on it, and the flame just continued to laugh at them!

Knowing how to use a fire extinguisher is part of it too. You point it at the base of the flame using a sweeping motion, not the flame itself. I was trained at a fire department. Wood fire is tough. It takes heat, air and fuel for a fire. Not cooling off or smothering a fire will lead to flare ups.

I carry two 2 lb kidde fire extinguishers, one in front and one in back.

CosmickGold said:
 I love mountains, rain forests, gurgling streams, ocean waves, so that's where I'm headed; Colorado and then western Washington State (not the hot, flat dry deserts).

And about the other, I have two  CO / propane detectors, plus a smoke detector.  But I'm wondering what kind/size of fire extinguisher I should get. 
Gold, I have a rather "hefty" ABC fire extinquisher 14" tall, First Alert, but apparently identical to the following. Ratings: A(trash,wood,paper), B(flammable liquids), C(electrical equipment), OSHA, DOT, Bureau of Motor Standards, also has a USCG marine rating.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kidde-1-A-10-B-C-Recreational-Fire-Extinguisher-21029284/303196116

In regards dry deserts, you will likely learn to love those too, :). If you're heading for western WA, you might  think of going through Montana (Helena and Missoula are beautiful towns, not to mention Glacier NP of course, and Whitefish is a cool little town), and then down into OR (their coast is best on the Pacific). A year ago summer I spent a few weeks in "eastern" WA checking out the "channeled scablands" ... fantastic. Palouse Falls, incredible.
https://www.google.com/search?q=palouse+falls&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X
https://www.google.com/search?q=channeled+scablands&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X
https://www.google.com/search?q=missoula+flood&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X
https://www.youtube.com/user/hugefloods/videos

I good route through Colorado would go through Leadville, down to Buena Vista to see the great 14er Front, then over Independence Pass and through Aspen.

CosmickGold said:
 . . . But I'm wondering what kind/size of fire extinguisher I should get.  I've seen one like my current small arisol-can extinguisher they used to try to extinguish a camp fire . . .

Size in a fire extinguisher is important: those numbers (1A:5BC) give an indication of the size of fire it is appropriate for.  I couldn't find a rating on my aerosol can extinguisher, so for a wood/paper fire I would expect it would do about as much extinguishing as a similar amount of water.  They are good for a small fire you have on a stove.

And as B and C said, "Knowing how to use a fire extinguisher is part of it too."

Be aware that the standard chemical fire extinguisher (Kiddie, et.al.) create a huge mess and the chemical is caustic (will corrode metal and damage electronics fast) and the fine powder gets into everything.

Spaceman Spiff said:
Be aware that the standard chemical fire extinguisher (Kiddie, et.al.) create a huge mess and the chemical is caustic (will corrode metal and damage electronics fast) and the fine powder gets into everything.

That is very disheartening, although I am certainly glad to know the truth.  It seems that to rescue my van from a fire, I would have to destroy it!

B and C said:
.... I was trained at a fire department....
I carry two 2 lb kidde fire extinguishers, one in front and one in back.

Thanks. After reading your reply, I tried to do the same on Amazon, but didn't find the 2 lb model.  So I ordered this Kidde 4 lb ABC model, which I'll mount just inside the side door, where I should be able to grab it pretty quickly from anywhere. It's Amazon's Choice as well.

Thanks for this thread! I was just wondering about fire extinguishers today. When I get on the road, I’ll more thank likely be in an SUV and I saw the aerosol fire extinguishers and thought they would take up less space: now I know not to get them. Thanks!

I carry one in the back so I can fight my way out if I have to in the middle of the night. You do have a smoke alarm don't you? I would rather the mess than getting burned alive!

I would like to point something out about fire extinguishers since we are talking about them,

the type with the plastic handle are cheap throw away extinguishers. you cannot refill them or have them serviced.

so if you use it you throw it away.
if it's due to be serviced you throw it away
if anything breaks on it you throw it away
are you following me here, do you see a pattern?

just wanted to bring to everyone's attention since all the links are for throw away stuff.

highdesertranger