Promaster Mod ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is just my very biased opinion, but I don't think any of them will have the reliability and durability of the Chevy. It's drivetrain has been on the road for 15 years now and has nothing but great reviews for reliability and MPG. It's truly exceptional right now--nothing compares.

Second, a huge reason to get a chevy and add a hightop from Fiberine (THEY WILL DO IT RIGHT) is they will leave in as much of the original roof fore and aft as you want. You can't imagine how much extra storage that gives you--it's incredible!! I added a 1x12 running the length of the drivers side and not even I can fill it in!!

To me, the storage is more valuable than the standing room and alone is worth adding a high-top.

akrvbob said:
This is just my very biased opinion, but I don't think any of them will have the reliability and durability of the Chevy. It's drivetrain has been on the road for 15 years now and has nothing but great reviews for reliability and MPG. It's truly exceptional right now--nothing compares.

I agree that the Express is a great van, and that people ought to buy what they like and trust.  

TCO (including repairs) over 5 years shows Express is a bit more expensive than NV and Promaster.  Express + expense of high top (not including any MPG reduction) is more expensive over 5 years than NV, Promaster, and Transit.  Only a Sprinter is more expensive over 5 years than an Express + high roof.  None of this matters if one prefers a particular van, of course.

I would be shocked if the Express + high top got better mileage than the factory high tops, NV excluded.   Fuelly shows the greatest number of folks in the Express get 15mpg, Transit 15mpg, PM 17mpg (mine averages 17.5mpg), and NV in way last place at 12mpg.  Transit diesel and PM diesel on fuelly show most people get 22mpg.

akrvbob said:
Second, a huge reason to get a chevy and add a hightop from Fiberine (THEY WILL DO IT RIGHT) is they will leave in as much of the original roof fore and aft as you want. You can't imagine how much extra storage that gives you--it's incredible!! I added a 1x12 running the length of the drivers side and not even I can fill it in!!

The Transit, NV, Sprinter, and PM have storage over the cab.  The NV's is somewhat smaller.

Since storage is important, here is the cargo volume for each low roof van, both regular and long wheelbases:

NV 234', [not available in long]
Ford e-series 238', 278'
Express 239', 284'
Transit 247, 278'
Promaster 304', 353'

frater secessus - I guess you forgot to post a link.
I don't know how the MPG is calculated for NV but one must remember that there is V6 and V8 version which makes huge difference in mpg. I guess NV V6 engine is around 17-18 (not 12) mpg. I could buy an NV for around $22-23. Do not need extra expense of installing high top roof. and basically no modes to the van made, so no issues with warranty, insurance etc. Quality of interior in NV is much better than Express. The cargo dimensions are almost the same. Nissan is as good (if not better) brand as Chevy so I 'm trying to compare those two and so far the only possible difference would be the mpg and maintenance cost. I think also that they both qualify as commecrial vehicles so no difference here. PM is a bit different category (it is bigger (if it's 159 wheelbase) but the rear axle is a deal breaker for me.

Am I missing something ?

I must be missing something too;  I don't disagree with any of your points.    The NV is the least expensive to run of all the vans.  It has the best warranty of all the vans.  It has great ground clearance.  It is, IMO, underappreciated. 
I didn't get one because I immediately disliked the cargo area and could not imagine myself living in it.  A personal reaction, certainly not grounded in objective criteria.

Mileage is only important for those spending many days per week actually driving.

Also if you're able to spend $20+K on your base platform and pay mechanics, as opposed to a total $10K or less budget and DIY repairs, will make a huge difference in what you consider.

deadwood said:
This is what I did before buying my van 2 years ago. I had ordered a new Transit to get exactly what I wanted and before I did I changed my domicile to South Dakota. Best thing I ever did. AZ charges almost 7% tax and SD was a 3% fee. Registration on the van was also only $110. Much lower then the approx $700 AZ would have charged.

I changed my residency to SD last month. The tax has increased to 4% FYI.  For me it was still a deal as I was purchasing a new to me truck and 5th Wheel.

I see a lot of conversation on utube where people are boondocking with cargo and/or passenger vans. How many inches are considered to be "high clearance?" How important is it when bookdocking? And also, how important is four wheel drive? Are these two things deal breakers for someone who wants to explore back country, both desert and national forest? What do you do if you head into something and can't turn around when you choose not to go any further? Thanks!

Clearance is more critical than 4WD.

7" is minimum for rough stuff, 8" better, more than that much better.

You back out.

It is very interesting for me to read about all the differences and needs in/of vehicles you have compared to us here in Europe.

Ram Promaster is manufactured by Fiat here and called Ducato.
They are made together with Citroen (Jumper) and Peugeot (Boxer). They all share facillitys and factorys.

Nissan is here made in the Opel and Renault plants and is called Opel Movano and Renault Master.

Mercedes Sprinter is also sold under the brand VW (Crafter).
And i belive they 2003 made a version called Dodge Sprinter?

Iveco (a part of Fiats heavy truck deparment) is very popular here as a more "heavy duty" type of Van.
They are popular for van conversions since they are long and high. 23ft long and 7 ft 2 inches headroom.

We seem to have different engines here. 4 or 5-cyl. is the standard. No V6 or V8 at all.
95% of all commercial vans and truck´s are Diesel.
Very few have automatic gearboxes but instead manual or robot assisted manual gearbox (shifts like an automatic) 5 or 6 speed gearboxes.
Since Gas/Diesel here cost 4-4,25 usd/gallon (Yep, im not kidding you) we buy the most economical vans we can lay our
hands on. So our engine/gearbox combinations all gives us around 28-36 mpg.
The largest Dieselengine they offer here for the Promaster is a 3 liter Diesel, 180 hp. 400newton.

How heavy is a Nissan / Promaster allowed to be (With full load) in US?
Here it´s 7716lbs (You can also get them rated (higher tax) at 8818 or 9370lbs.