Promaster Mod ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John61CT said:
Is that as long as say an extended Express?
There is a nice comparison of each at _this link_ < floor dim. shown are from behind the partition, but still good info. just add about 12" for actual length of a given rig.

interior length on floor on the Nissan is 120"

Compared to the Chevy/GM full size vans: the Regular body is 124" ( < Our Van V1) on floor and the extended is 146". 

The Promaster with regular body we just picked up has 146, and the "Extended" has 160"
One thing (among many) that swayed us to the PM was both front seats easily swivel, and with the right floor plan add significant usable living space.

I've not seen a swivel on the front driver seat of the Nissan or any GM/Chevy after 2010 as they buggered up design by placing the air bag sensors under the driver seat. If you see a driver seat in a full size a recent year chevy/gm... they might actually be going beyond spec. There were no aftermarket shops that would install a driver swivel in our research. YMMV.

Yes I really wish Nissan did an extended version along with hightop.

Their under clearance and lower running costs are otherwise to me pretty compelling.

...   Nissan NV 2500 hightop info:  Nissan trucks have never gotten good gas mileage - the NV is a commercial van so mpg will not be posted - that said my 2016 V-6 gets 16/18 hwy and 13/15 around town. This van empty is already 9,100 lbs. , mine weights in at just under 10,800 lbs. ymmv.
      I got one slighty used [6 months old, 6K miles], I wanted a truck chassis and wasn't concerned about a few mpgs but a big selling factor is the 
   5 yr/ 100K commercial truck warranty - doesn't matter if you make it a home or whatever usage - hopefully I'll never need to use it, however remember not all Nissan dealers are commercial truck outlets.

Attachments

• pax van 2.jpg
    pax van 2.jpg
    126.4 KB
  • unnamed (5).jpg
    unnamed (5).jpg
    44.4 KB
Sweet!

I need maximum solar on the flat top, think a big Maxx vent-fan could mount on that slope above the windshield?

Or do they come no glass in the back door?

John61CT said:
Sweet!

I need maximum solar on the flat top,  think a big Maxx vent-fan could mount on that slope above the windshield?

... you have your choice of side/back windows , I lucked out finding the base model I wanted. [aftermarket windows will fit the outline Nissan stamps in the metal] or a glass shop should be able to handle a cut & install.
     I have my Maxx-air fan centrally located but I guess If you want to cut a hole there , again your choice.
     I only need one 100w panel so never measured out the usable roof space but I've seen one other NV with 
     3 100w panels with a roof fan in the center but close to the vans edge on the drivers side.

John61CT said:
Sweet!

I need maximum solar on the flat top,  think a big Maxx vent-fan could mount on that slope above the windshield?

I haven't done the math yet, but I think about 4 x 140w panels will fit with the big Maxx vent-fan in the rear. That way, you could have a floor vent up front for cool air entering at night, and the roof vent in the back for good cross ventilation with the rear roof will be over where my motorcycle may be with possibly a pooter too; so it kind of looks like the nucleus of a layout.

Your gas mileage would really take a dive with the fan on the front spoiler: that's what gives the High Roof at least 2 more mpg than the low roof, just like an 18 wheeler roof-spoiler design. Plus you get the ergonomic pickup truck leg-stretch (instead of sitting on a pickle barrel seat beside the engine like many vans or using your knees for a bumper.) I'd rather pay for better solar panels to optimize space and maximize power capacity. I saw one guy''s van who did that on a NV in San Francisco, and it really looked sharp. There's even a low cost 150 w panel, but I really need to investigate the quality and technologies of the panels  first: that's a big job and the products and technology seems to be changing daily! 560w vs. 400w for a couple of hundred dollars more in panels (plus battery, electronics, etc..) seems like a gimme to me. I think you want to get the max technology now, because it is just getting cheaper; and you will be wasting your money on obsolete low power components. ymmv.

Already set on maximum watts per square foot, Sunpower cells at 22+% efficiency, etc.

The Maxx with the low-profile built-in vent looks pretty streamlined, plus I'm **far** more concerned with max solar wattage vs mpg, I don't do a lot of miles per year, often stay in one area for months at a time.

Floor vents are a last resort move, need tight sealing up every time in transit, critter screening etc.

Exit ports could in fact be under the panels, just not the big active one, but I'd rather try to get at least one strategic opening window at the other end from wherever the fan ends up.

OK, I looked some vans last weekend. I was lucky enough to find few which are mine interest on the same lot. I took a closer look at Chevy-Express, GMC-Savanah, Dodge-Promaster-1500, Nissan NV-2500
Considering Chevy Express and adding a high top will be very close (if not identical) to buying Nissan. I thought - why would I bother with extra work and risks of leaking, poor labor etc if I could get Nissan NV-2500 for about the same price. Dodge-PM-1500 is nice in sense of almost being able to stand straight in the cargo area but when I looked again at the low real axle I decided it is unacceptable. Savanah suspension is very nicely designed (better than Chevy). The Chevy and GMC dashboard and pretty much the whole cab is almost identical (and it looks pretty cheap).
All the vans I was looking at were 2012 and I think this dealer had them collected from various DOT locations, so I'm not sure what's their technical condition. I found one Nissan NV 2500/V6 with around 56k miles. I think they asking about $16000. The engine looks like new but the roof has a dent in a front corner which will definitely require some repair. I looked and compared several times the suspension and the bottom of all those vans and I have to say that Nissan is by far the best.
Unless I make decision to go with the truck camper I think Nissan would be my choice. As far as width it has 71" in the cargo while Chevy and GMS has 68". The length is around 9' for all of them so the difference is minimal. Only PM was 1 foot longer in the cargo area.
Although I could not find any official data for Nissan MPG I think I saw YT postings showing around 18 mpg on a V6 motor (no load).

I 'm considering either carrying a motorized bicycle on the back or small dirt bike to drive around ?(instead riding the truck and saving on gas).

RetiredNomad - since you own this van, can you share the pro's and con's ?
I estimate do make around 12-15k miles/yr so I'm not sure one consider this a lot or not but this for me is just average. Hopefully the gas will not drain my pocket to much. I wonder how Nissan MPG compares to Chevy Express ? and other trucks I inspected ?

As far as Solar, I'm thinking about custom made extension on the roof (kinda like a drawer) which will allow me to add extra panel and slide it out when more power is needed. I would love to also keep some small cargo rack or case so have to balance the roof area properly. I haven't made my calculations yet abut would aim towards 500W so 2x250W should be sufficient, and my panels must be adjustable. Hopefully there will be enough room to also mount a roof vent.

I also wonder if Nissan 2012 will have same mpg as 2017 model ?

Art

sadarahu said:
Dodge-PM-1500 is nice in sense of almost being able to stand straight in the cargo area but when I looked again at the low real axle I decided it is unacceptable. Savanah suspension is very nicely designed (better than Chevy).

I don't know about the Savanah and Express 1500/2500 have 7.1" ground clearance, which is 0.2" more ground clearance than the Promaster.  Comparo here.

What I did was decide on my van through a process of elimination:

GM - no OEM sealed steel high roof models -X.
Ford Transit - expensive, many many start-up bugs, and tin foil frame for light weight goals above all else (alignments constantly until knocked out of spec)- X,
RAM Promaster - very nice cab, but minivan transmission << 100k miles/transmission rebuild - X,

and then I was waiting all along for the 2017 NV 3500 (for that extra 2 mpg), but I test drove a 2016 NV (best riding vehicle since the Crown Vic) and a 2017 NV 3500 back to back (the 2017 7sp NV 3500 sounded like the trans was going out at 50 miles on the odometer, and anyone who has ever had one or more bad transmissions knows what that sounds like!) Sure enough, there is a lot of similar and worse(!) feedback on the web about the new Nissan V8 7 sp transmissions ALL MODELS of Nissan trucks since 2016! That was good enough for me, I'll wait it out 5 years and take the most refined 2016 model of the 2012 to 2016 model range of NV's (they are all about the same though, except I got mine with 4 miles on the odometer ;-) Mine was one of 2 last New 2016 NV 3500 SL models left in the SE USA. It gets 17 mpg driving it like you should, but much less driving it safely in traffic. So I avoid traffic. But being the largest V8 in vans, it will move out nicely when you want: but not at 17 mpg, ha ha. I can live with that because it's a big van that a 6 cylinder would have problems pulling and get much worse mileage when taxed. 

Safety First!   :D
And I was a Value Engineer in manufacturing for the automotive industry for 5 years or so.

sadarahu said:
OK, I looked some vans last weekend. I was lucky enough to find few which are mine interest on the same lot. I took a closer look at Chevy-Express, GMC-Savanah, Dodge-Promaster-1500, Nissan NV-2500
Considering Chevy Express and adding a high top will be very close (if not identical) to buying Nissan. I thought - why would I bother with extra work and risks of leaking, poor labor etc if I could get Nissan NV-2500 for about the same price. Dodge-PM-1500 is nice in sense of almost being able to stand straight in the cargo area but when I looked again at the low real axle I decided it is unacceptable. Savanah suspension is very nicely designed (better than Chevy). The Chevy and GMC dashboard and pretty much the whole cab is almost identical (and it looks pretty cheap).
All the vans I was looking at were 2012 and I think this dealer had them collected from various DOT locations, so I'm not sure what's their technical condition. I found one Nissan NV 2500/V6 with around 56k miles. I think they asking about $16000. The engine looks like new but the roof has  a dent in a front corner which will definitely require some repair. I looked and compared several times the suspension and the bottom of all those vans and I have to say that Nissan is by far the best.
Unless I make decision to go with the truck camper I think Nissan would be my choice. As far as width it has 71" in the cargo while Chevy and GMS has 68". The length is around 9' for all of them so the difference is minimal. Only PM was 1 foot longer in the cargo area.
Although I could not find any official data for Nissan MPG I think I saw YT postings showing around 18 mpg on a V6 motor (no load).

I 'm considering  either carrying a motorized bicycle on the back or small dirt bike to drive around ?(instead riding the truck and saving on gas).

RetiredNomad - since you own this van, can you share the pro's and con's ?
I estimate do make around 12-15k miles/yr so I'm not sure one consider this a lot or not but this for me is just average. Hopefully  the gas will not drain my pocket to much. I wonder how Nissan MPG compares to Chevy Express ? and other trucks I inspected ?

As far as Solar, I'm thinking about custom made extension on the roof (kinda like a drawer) which will allow me to add extra panel and slide it out when more power is needed. I would love to also keep some small cargo rack or case so have to balance the roof area properly. I haven't made my calculations yet abut would aim towards 500W so 2x250W should be sufficient, and my panels must be adjustable. Hopefully there will be enough room to also mount a roof vent.

I also wonder if Nissan 2012 will have same mpg as 2017 model ?

Art
  -- any van ... once you start loading "stuff" - solar/bikes/water - or everything you own in some cases , mpgs suffer. If you must have good mpgs , get a small 4cyl car - I lived in a Kia Soul for 3 yrs. , 30 mpg but no room, now I get half that mileage but all the room I need. Pick something you're gonna be happy live'n in -- if all you do is drive, mpg matters but if you sit somewhere for 2 weeks at a time , well , you get the idea ... bottom line for me , truck chassis, interior height [I'm 6'1"] NV-no prob- , 5yr/100K warranty ,  ymmv ... good luck in your choice ...

Attachments

• car living 2.jpg
    car living 2.jpg
    36.2 KB
  • car living 4.jpg
    car living 4.jpg
    54.5 KB
breeze said:
RAM Promaster - very nice cab, but minivan transmission << 100k miles/transmission rebuild - X,

Are you looking at statistics on the 62TE for that or is it more of a gut feeling?  As far as I can tell PM transmisions are not overrepresented in failure rates;  for this application the trans is geared down and has upgraded cooling.    There have been software flashes available for the early ones to address hard shifting, etc.  

Re: Nissan NV2500/3500:  it's a great platform, very sturdy.  If the cargo area had fit me better it would have been in the final running.  If it was available in 4wd for a sane markup it would have been very, very tempting.  Particularly since I don't intend to drive much.

breeze said:
What I did was decide on my van through a process of elimination...

You do have a diesel option in the Ram Promaster. That may or may not be to your liking but it does come with a different transmission. Plus a 3year warranty on everything and a 5year warranty on the powertrain. The high roof extended version is big enough for just about anything. Once I get back on land, I'm going to see if the those new short-wheelbase 4 person side by sides (wolverine x4) fit in there with enough room left over for my other stuff.  

Mine has been giving me 25 to 28mpg to date with the occasional dip to 23 if doing some city driving (I don't care for cities by and large, other than filling up in them.) That's a pretty incredible combination.

I know Diesel is nice in sense of longevity and consumption but it is higher cost. One other thing that runed me off is fuel availablity. There are to many Gas Stations that offer no diesel (especially in remote areas). I think I decided on NissanNV. I just need to figure out what year and millage to look for. Cannot afford the new one.

What you guys think about buying a DOT Van from a dealer ?
I have found a dealer with bunch of 2012 vans. For example this one. What is your opinion ?

Would it make sense to change my residence to another state (I'm in IL) then buy a van to lover tax, registration, insurance costs ?

"Would it make sense to change my residence to another state (I'm in IL) then buy a van to lover tax, registration, insurance costs ?"

Oh hell yes. You can't bail fast enough from the high cost of everything states.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

If you do transfer your domicile to South Dakota, you'll have to physically go there and spend a night. You'll need the receipt with the address of your lodging for proof.

xNateX said:
You do have a diesel option in the Ram Promaster.

I looked at the Ram trucks website and I don't see the diesel option there anymore....although I CAN find a few diesel Promaster listings at a few dealers.

I wonder if that option is going away?
:huh:

tx2sturgis said:
I looked at the Ram trucks website and I don't see the diesel option there anymore....although I CAN find a few diesel Promaster listings at a few dealers.

I wonder if that option is going away?
:huh:

TX2Sturgis,

Correct, it's not on their website at the moment. I don't know why it isn't an option anymore but I do know that there are a few on lots still available. That's how I ended up with mine.

I'm on the promaster forum too. I remember someone posting that Fiat Chrysler is putting out material that indicates the diesel will be an option for 2018, but I can't say for sure. I hope so as that diesel gets better mileage than either the Ford Transits or the MB Sprinters.

Lucky for me my 2016 sat and sat and sat on the dealer's lot. They basically gave me the diesel, all the options, and the extended length - all for free :shy: They were desperate to get rid of it LOL. And I wasn't in the market at all but I just couldn't pass on that, and I'm glad I didn't.

xNateX said:
If you do transfer your domicile to South Dakota, you'll have to physically go there and spend a night. You'll need the receipt with the address of your lodging for proof.

This is what I did before buying my van 2 years ago. I had ordered a new Transit to get exactly what I wanted and before I did I changed my domicile to South Dakota. Best thing I ever did. AZ charges almost 7% tax and SD was a 3% fee. Registration on the van was also only $110. Much lower then the approx $700 AZ would have charged.

You do realize that those taxes and registration fees pay for the roads in AZ, where in other places, high property taxes tend to offset those...