Prius: What electric appliances can I safely run?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run a 2000 watt Harbor Freight inverter (highly recommended) in my company semi truck and it can put a load on the batteries. The truck has FOUR batteries, so it would really tax the single battery in the Prius. The inverter powers everything I throw at it.

My understanding is the 12 volt small battery is charged by the main battery through a circuit with a 100 amp fuse which limits you to a 1500 watt inverter when connected to the 12 volt battery. It is possible to have an inverter connected to the main battery that would have a 3000 watt capacity.

I run a 2000 watt Harbor Freight inverter (highly recommended) in my company semi truck and it can put a load on the batteries. The truck has FOUR batteries, so it would really tax the single battery in the Prius. The inverter powers everything I throw at it.
Prius has 2 batteries: a classic 12 volt which runs car electronics, and high voltage (220V) battery which stores energy from braking and runs everything else. Including power sockets. As reported by @kygreg post #20. That is the reason why electric makes so much sense in a hybrid camper.