How Long can I run my 12V electric blanket off Car Battery

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YUIPME

Reaction score
Im using a 12V electric blanket that plugs into cig lighter. As it gets colder Im not sure how long I can run it overnight before it drains main battery , leaving the engine unable to start. Is there a tool to alert when the battery is approaching critical level?

Not aware of one. But I’d consider using a jackery or some sort of power bank so your not using your car battery. Running that down puts more strain on your starter, even if it still starts and such. And takes life out of your car battery. Size of such a power bank would be determined by your needs. Best to get as big as you can afford. You can charge them while driving, from an AC outlet somewhere or from a portable solar panel. That would be my vote. I’ve got hundreds of thousands of miles on my truck and being diesel is has two serious batteries in it. I learned the best way to keep starters from failing is to keep good batteries operating it. I had no problem with warranty. But the hassle involved in changing starters and alternators out wasn’t worth it. At the first sign of weak batteries I’d change them out. I usually could find a home for at least one like in my old plow truck with a smaller gas engine. A good power bank will save you in the long run.

If you are going to do that buy an electric 12v blanket that has an automatic shutoff at 3 hours. That way you won’t wake up to a dead battery. Then if you wake up cold run your engine for a while to warm up your vehicle and recharge your car battery.

Last edited:
I slept in temperatures in the teens recently, and was impressed with how well a sleeping bag and couple blankets (fleese and fluffy) work. I was so toasty warm I didn't mind crawling out in the morning that much.

Car batteries aren't made to be deep cycled, and their ability to tolerate it will vary greatly depending on the model and how old it is. A 50W blanket that's on for 8 hrs will consume 400W-hr of energy. That's getting pretty close to the sensible limit of a 100ah deep cycle lead-acid battery (which is ~600W-hr), so I think a starter battery subjected to that would die pretty fast.

There are any number of apparatus available for this problem. Some are cheap...$20 dollars...others up .to $150+

This one cost around $20 dollars and even offers a factory recalibration option for a nominal fee if you want the warning voltage level set higher or lower.
I know a guy who uses the deep cycle battery from his fishing boat for the starting battery in his diesel Pickup Truck during the cold winter months while the standard battery sits in his garage on a trickle charger.

12vtechnology #BA3

I wouldn’t use my vehicle starter battery for anything other than starting the vehicle. If you want to run an electric blanket, then get somthing like a Jackery 500 or Bluetti.

I'm pretty close to rruff on this one. Why not use the electriblanket to warm the bed up, then add an unzipped sleeping bag (or bags) over it to keep the body heat in, and shut if off after you're in your "cave"? That way you're putting minimal strain on the battery. If you got enough layers you don't NEED that blanket on all night. That's how I work the system, anyway.

Im using a 12V electric blanket that plugs into cig lighter. As it gets colder Im not sure how long I can run it overnight before it drains main battery , leaving the engine unable to start. Is there a tool to alert when the battery is approaching critical level?
My 12v throw size electric (medium heat setting!) from Walmart drains my Jackery portable 150w size within a few hours. low heat i get maybe 4 hr.

car battery ingredients aren’t meant for this kind of use (although if the engine is running that is a slightly different story).
no matter what, as a solo traveler I deeply recommend an $80 jump start kit. Just for various reasons Ive needed it 3x and Im a careful person (and i killed my car battery draining it that many times; doesn’t keep a charge if you accidentally let it go dead a few times).
wishing you warm feet and cozy nights!!

Perhaps a small solar charged power station would be a good option instead of your car battery. I have a larger PS and run my electric blanket w/o a problem.