Pride led to sudden homelessness

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A captiva is pretty new (and really small), do you own it outright? You'd come out on the shitty end of a trade for a van, but it may make sense if it gives you the room to live in.

I wouldn't drive for Uber or Lyft. You will wear out your car for less than minimum wage. (www.uberpeople.net)
You're better off delivering pizzas. You'll make more money doing that and will probably get fed too.

ZoNiE said:
A captiva is pretty new (and really small), do you own it outright? You'd come out on the shitty end of a trade for a van, but it may make sense if it gives you the room to live in.

I wouldn't drive for Uber or Lyft. You will wear out your car for less than minimum wage. (www.uberpeople.net)
You're better off delivering pizzas. You'll make more money doing that and will probably get fed too.
Heck no, I have FIVE long years to go... don't ask!!

Hmmmm   That opinion you've stated, is mine as well. But a driver I know says over time it is rolled into cost of doing business.. and the longer I keep my vehicle, the more profit. 

Be my guest and go into this more if you feel so inclined; I am curious about, and very close to succumbing to driving for Lyft- Uber.  The cost of an engine and tranny is around $9000 as of this date ( late 2015 ).

I feel a tad guilty about being a part of an upstart company that is ruthlessly making waves for pro cab drivers.

Waxing Philosophical:  Turning cheek- survival .
Perhaps my point of view is in need of realignment but to me, I am in survival mode... I have to do what I have to do, including going against some of the neat little moral codes I have heard my whole life.
I eg do not want to harm another person, but exposed as I am out here, I have to be mentally prepared to act quickly in that nasty direction. Love your enemy is a beautiful ideal, but "out here" things look a bit different. My innate survival instincts are kicking in now. Mind you I am a senior, and the older I get, the more vulnerable I am. I still refuse to own a firearm, but who knows at 80?
Also, nothing ( nor any person ) can prepare you for what it is like to be without a home- I imagine it gets more tolerable as time passes, but it messes with your imagination. 

Also I resent societal law saying I cannot carry a concealed knife when I am over three times older than a potential thief. To me this is a crime against the populace. And I am in a state of loonies ...  California, "the land of fruit and nuts"; where laws are especially out of alignment with natural law or common sense.
While I genuinely respect the very difficult and dangerous job of being a cop, I am finding myself resenting them.. I do not like this fact; but in survival mode they are more an impediment than what they used to be, a friend. 
Obviously a police man does not create these laws, but I certainly am hoping ( doubting too )  they do not enforce these ridiculous laws to the letter.. and exercise some kindness and commonsense. I am NOT a predator!
My rent was paid more or less to the end of 2015, in case any of you think I am a jerk for being without place to lay my head... I was unlucky and trusted a strange megalomaniacal woman.

Enough philosophy

I have this fantasy: What if I could simultaneously LIVE in SUV, AND USE it to make money??
The biggest problem would be body odor ( I refuse to use SUV as a bathroom ) from sleeping it it.
I am asking your opinions on the "kill two birds with one stone" idea, and also whether driving frequently with windows open, if body odor could be sufficiently dissipated.
Also I do not like perfumes in cars. I love that showroom new car fragrance though. If there are any relatively neutral fragrances ( natural or not ) that you have had luck with!

Do most of you believe driving for a living is a bad idea?
My STUFF is in a storage place that is centrally located for $155 w 24-7 access. 
Thank you ladies and gents very much.

I have more questions for you than answers and feel free to blow me off if I'm way out of line but I suspect that you're still thinking inside the lines!

First off, what, other than having a bunch of stuff in storage, is keeping you tied to an area where you don't like the laws, is known to be prohibitively expensive to live in and difficult to deal with when your home is a vehicle?

How much money do you think you need to sustain yourself including car payment and insurance costs?

What other ways, given a different environment, could you think of to make the above figure?

What if you sold all your stuff except for bare essentials? Could you raise enough to move to a larger vehicle and have an emergency fund?

Would you be better off letting the car get repossessed in a few months and taking that money you don't hand over to buy something more livable? I'm not suggesting this is a good idea by any means, just putting it out there!

Oh, and you do have a place to lay your head, it's just not a conventional one. There are hundreds, nay thousands of us, who happily have no conventional housing and think of home as 'where I am and where I park'.

My question is 'why are you hanging onto a vehicle that you know has a high interest rate, probably high payments to go along with it, and that you're gonna have another 5 years before it's paid off'????

Do you realize, that by the time you pay this off, you'll never be able to sell it for anything close to what it's worth...not to mention, what you eventually paid for it???

I'd give this thing back to the finance company STAT! The minute you do, you're gonna feel a HUGE load lifted off your shoulders.

This overhead is a good part of what's holding you down in life. Get rid of it!

vanvanvanvan123 said:
...Also I do not like perfumes in cars. I love that showroom new car fragrance though. If there are any relatively neutral fragrances ( natural or not ) that you have had luck with!
I have an Airwick house air freshener in my bus. Currently using Glade's Cashmere Woods (I really like it). Takes about 2 months to go thru a can of spray. Uses batteries. I have it hung on a wall out of the way. I buy the Glade cans in 2 packs as I have two of these things. One in the front of the bus, one in the bedroom in the back. It runs on batteries. I have a third automatic air freshener that I plan on using in the jeep. I just need to figure out where to put it as I need to be able to get to it and replace air freshener cans and batteries at some point.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Air-Wick-...n-Fragrance-Automatic-Spray-Kit-3-pc/45106550

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Glade-Cas...-Air-Freshener-Refill-6.2-oz-2-count/37430774

Auto Zone and Advanced Auto sells a small spray can of new car smell.  

When I had a new vehicle years back it worked well.

Now I just use Feebreeze  spray with no perfume to neutralize odors.

Glad to see you got out of the situation you was in...I knew I smelled rats....

Hang in there vanvanvanvan123 it will get better....Good luck!

We're getting close now to Christmas tree season.  For many years, I would park overnight at Christmas tree lots and get paid $100/night for security.  Simply call the cops if thieves showed up.  The owners of these lots usually said my presence was saving them much more than they were paying me.  Many of these lots are open from Thanksgiving until Christmas.

As fate would have it, one time the sales person didn't show, so the owner offered me the job.  $10 per tree.  Well I averaged about 100 trees per day, and all I had to do was collect the money and hand out twine.  Occasionally I would spruce up the display if I felt like it.

Since then I have done this in numerous towns, and made $25-30k in that month.

Whether you choose to sell the trees or just offer security, that could spell some income for you soon.  I also make about $5k the week before the 4th of July selling fireworks.  Both gigs are usually advertised in Craigslist.

I make the majority of my income online selling ebooks and hosting.  It was only after retirement that I learned how easy it was to make money without a regular job.  I make far more now than I ever did working for someone else.

There are a number of somewhat unconventional jobs that work well for full timers, here are a few that I know people who do them, not in any particular order.

A) Painting house numbers on curbs. ($10/ea easy to do 10-20 in one neighborhood)

B) Painting brown lawns green. ($100, costs = $10-$15)

C) Grocery shopping for others. ($20/hr)

D) Preparing meals for others. (1 week = $100 + food)

E) House Cleaning, Garage Cleaning, Basement Cleaning, Attic Cleaning etc. ($20/hr)

F) Lawn care/cleaning, weed pulling etc. (Prices vary widely)

G) House sitting.

H) Pet sitting / walking.

I) Transportation to stores, Dr. Appointments, etc. (Self employed!)

J) Handyman type services. ($20/hr minimum)

K) RV Cleaning.

L) Car washing.

M) Window Washing.

N) Bathroom cleaning at businesses, bars, gas stations, restaurants, fast food, etc. ($5/ea. but many trade this service for meals too.  Many will do like 20 a day, on a route they establish where ever they are.  Many places will gladly pay this to not have to do it themselves.  Supplies are cheap, and it is normally quick and easy work.

O) Offering jump starts. ($20-$25)

P) Remote computer tune-ups and/or virus, spyware, & malware removal. ($100)

Q) Remote data recovery. ($100)

R) Photography.

S) Night time security. (You can get paid well for this, or just trade it for having a place to park every night.)

T) Deliveries. (Pizza, flowers, fast food & restaurants, prescriptions, groceries etc.)

U) Street corner sign spinner, or possibly costumed promoter.

V) To/from airport transportation.

W) Stripper transportation. (Many strip clubs will pay drivers to safely deliver their strippers to/from work.) {I made some big money doing this for a year, about $200/day, for ~4 hours work. $20/trip + tips, and the girls were great fun!}

Craigslist and other free online classified sites can be a great resource for both finding jobs/work, and for offering your services.

As you can see, if you think outside the box, there is money everywhere if you know how to make it, regardless of your age or disabilities.  I don't have to leave my van to make $60k+ a year.

Having a comfortable and fully functioning living environment is important to me.  My van supplies this, and I couldn't be happy living out of anything smaller, nor anything that wasn't fully self contained.

I would work on paying off your debt, and becoming debt free as soon as possible.  Even before that I might work on having a cheap yet sustainable living quarters.  It doesn't necessarily need to be particularly road worthy to be livable for starters.  You can always upgrade once your finances are in order.

Good post, and lots of great ideas there Off Grid!! ^^^

you autta copy and repost this on the "Making Money on the Road" thread

Don't get me wrong Uber and Lyft are great... for the user. I used them last night. Unfortunately, they have cut the fares so much all in the name of corporate growth, that drivers no longer get a good deal for wearing out their cars.

The taxi industry did need disruption, and Uber did that. They just need to keep the fares a bit higher just to make it fair for everyone. I would pay higher fares for Uber. I also Tip. Most people using Uber do not, Lyft, do, as it is on the app for Lyft.

The problem is that Uber and Lyft operate on an unending supply of new drivers and new cars. When the repairs get too high for most folks, they don't all replace the car, they quit. Uber just keeps signing drivers, so it doesn't matter that there is turnover. There are always plenty of drivers out there to take up the slack.

It really is not something I personally would do. One driver last night does it because he quit his shitty day job and it allows him to interview, and bring in money. It is a stop gap. Not a career. Some do it just to have a nicer car.

gsfish said:
Hopefully I will never be hard up enough to charge someone for a jump start.

Guy

A couple of days ago, while exiting a parking lot, there was a lady with her hood up and holding a pair of jumper cables.  Just wanting to do a good deed, not asking or expecting anything in return, I stopped and gave her a jump and got her car running.

She insisted upon giving me $40, which I tried repeatedly to refuse.  Instead, I told her to just pass on the good deed.  In the end, I wound up accepting the $40 because of what she said...

She told me that I would be disrespecting her if I did not accept the money, and that she would be disrespecting me if she didn't pass on the good deed, and that we should both respect each other.

I graciously accepted the money and a hug at that point, and came away with a new understanding that perhaps it is not always best practice to refuse money when offered.

My practice has always been to refuse money when offered.  Offer me dinner, a snack, or a soda maybe, but never money, as my time  is a gift.  Perhaps if a person is persistent in offering money, even though you try to refuse it, maybe the right thing to do is accept it in the end...

What do you guys think?

Off Grid 24/7 said:
My practice has always been to refuse money when offered.  Offer me dinner, a snack, or a soda maybe, but never money, as my time  is a gift.  Perhaps if a person is persistent in offering money, even though you try to refuse it, maybe the right thing to do is accept it in the end...

What do you guys think?

If they insist, I don't argue. It is just less stress for me to take the money and give it to a homeless person.

I have always figured jump starts should be freely given and received just as we don't pay or charge for people to stop at a stop sign. It is part and partial of being considerate to others on the road.

I grew up in the sticks of Michigan, miles from anything.

I live on the eastern edge of Denver and until lately, miles from anything.

I camp 20 miles from a town where you may not see any one for days.

In each case I was taught by example that if someone needed help, give it. Someday it will be you busted down or stuck miles from anything and you can only hope that the passer byer will have the same view of life.

Plus. Being the only thing that is moving in 30 inches of snow is a kick in the pants. ;)

I always offer a free jump. It's amazing how many people will pass you by in a parking lot while holding cables with the hood up, however...

vanvanvanvan123 said:
any suggestions for where to sleep when in city?

spray ave and brighton in OB. AKA avalanche/ Dog beach. Public restrooms and fire pits. I stayed there every night for 5 months. During the day it is a van dweller convention in the lot, at night move to the street, dont stay in the lot. The cops know and dont care, actually they expect it. Never once seen someone get hassled as long as they werent in the lot between 2am and 4am.

" Am I a jerk for refusing to jump-start another vehicle?

Following the advice of my mechanic,
I recently refused to give someone a jump-start for fear of
 racking up another $250 bill for a new alternator.

Was I a bad Samaritan, or was I justified in leaving this guy stranded?
-- John

RAY: Well, many manufacturers now recommend against giving or receiving a jump-start.
And at the garage, when possible, we "trickle charge" batteries -- charge them slowly over many hours
 -- instead of jumping them with a large surge of current.

TOM: I guess the theory is that when you give a jump-start,
 you use your charging system to charge two batteries (yours and the jump-startee's),
and that can place too great a demand on your alternator and can overheat it.

RAY: And the reason they recommend against receiving a jump-start is that it's possible
 to fry the delicate electronics in today's cars with a voltage surge.
And if you think ruining an alternator is bad, you should try cooking a thousand-dollar computer! "

http://www.cartalk.com/content/following-advice-my-mechanic-i-recently-refused

- Sorry my mechanic says no . .

" Jump-starting with booster car running?

However, all the jump-starting instructions I have read, including the one on your site,
have recommended that the cables be attached with the booster engine off and starting it post-hookup.

There are some who claim that jumping with the engine running can lead to alternator failure very soon thereafter.
I'm personally agnostic to it-- I can't really understand why it would happen,
but there seems to be some anecdotal evidence for it. "

http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2138345/jump-starting-with-booster-car-running

I saw a sign in the Central Phoenix warehouse district that said "No Camping". It was under that really big overpass that goes over the train tracks near downtown. Not surprised. These signs will start popping up everywhere. Not a big deal, either, as I wouldn't have stayed there anyway. Nasty area.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
We're getting close now to Christmas tree season.  For many years, I would park overnight at Christmas tree lots and get paid $100/night for security.  Simply call the cops if thieves showed up.  The owners of these lots usually said my presence was saving them much more than they were paying me.  Many of these lots are open from Thanksgiving until Christmas.

As fate would have it, one time the sales person didn't show, so the owner offered me the job.  $10 per tree.  Well I averaged about 100 trees per day, and all I had to do was collect the money and hand out twine.  Occasionally I would spruce up the display if I felt like it.

Since then I have done this in numerous towns, and made $25-30k in that month.

Whether you choose to sell the trees or just offer security, that could spell some income for you soon.  I also make about $5k the week before the 4th of July selling fireworks.  Both gigs are usually advertised in Craigslist.

I make the majority of my income online selling ebooks and hosting.  It was only after retirement that I learned how easy it was to make money without a regular job.  I make far more now than I ever did working for someone else.

There are a number of somewhat unconventional jobs that work well for full timers, here are a few that I know people who do them, not in any particular order.

A) Painting house numbers on curbs. ($10/ea easy to do 10-20 in one neighborhood)

B) Painting brown lawns green. ($100, costs = $10-$15)

C) Grocery shopping for others. ($20/hr)

D) Preparing meals for others. (1 week = $100 + food)

E) House Cleaning, Garage Cleaning, Basement Cleaning, Attic Cleaning etc. ($20/hr)

F) Lawn care/cleaning, weed pulling etc. (Prices vary widely)

G) House sitting.

H) Pet sitting / walking.

I) Transportation to stores, Dr. Appointments, etc. (Self employed!)

J) Handyman type services. ($20/hr minimum)

K) RV Cleaning.

L) Car washing.

M) Window Washing.

N) Bathroom cleaning at businesses, bars, gas stations, restaurants, fast food, etc. ($5/ea. but many trade this service for meals too.  Many will do like 20 a day, on a route they establish where ever they are.  Many places will gladly pay this to not have to do it themselves.  Supplies are cheap, and it is normally quick and easy work.

O) Offering jump starts. ($20-$25)

P) Remote computer tune-ups and/or virus, spyware, & malware removal. ($100)

Q) Remote data recovery. ($100)

R) Photography.

S) Night time security. (You can get paid well for this, or just trade it for having a place to park every night.)

T) Deliveries. (Pizza, flowers, fast food & restaurants, prescriptions, groceries etc.)

U) Street corner sign spinner, or possibly costumed promoter.

V) To/from airport transportation.

W) Stripper transportation. (Many strip clubs will pay drivers to safely deliver their strippers to/from work.) {I made some big money doing this for a year, about $200/day, for ~4 hours work. $20/trip + tips, and the girls were great fun!}

Craigslist and other free online classified sites can be a great resource for both finding jobs/work, and for offering your services.

As you can see, if you think outside the box, there is money everywhere if you know how to make it, regardless of your age or disabilities.  I don't have to leave my van to make $60k+ a year.

Having a comfortable and fully functioning living environment is important to me.  My van supplies this, and I couldn't be happy living out of anything smaller, nor anything that wasn't fully self contained.

I would work on paying off your debt, and becoming debt free as soon as possible.  Even before that I might work on having a cheap yet sustainable living quarters.  It doesn't necessarily need to be particularly road worthy to be livable for starters.  You can always upgrade once your finances are in order.

EXCELLENT POST!

T.I.M.

Instead of jump starting I hook up my grid battery charger to my inverter via an extension cord and trickle charge it that way. It's one of those battery chargers designed for such use.

As for where to sleep in the city...are homeless shelters out of the question?

My computer battery is weak, so I will be brief and not respond to some of these posts.. but thank you, I read them all.
My reason for living in San Diego is personal - I am sorry about that. I am considering just south of San Diego in TJ. But so far, driving means ( TJ is far from where I might make money in SD ) wasting gas.. so for now it will be central San Diego- Balboa, Claremont.

Mentally I am gaining balance with this shocking surprise ( of nowhere to hang a hat ).
The cost of food is a big factor as well as driving car in costly paths, due to poor planning.

I have never been an organized person. Now more than ever I need to learn how to be organized with my life. Organization in 2 areas the storage space and my activities. Presently, I may drive a needless 100 miles because of poor planning. I do not mind driving and it breaks monotony, but I prefer to be more in control of my trips to gym (multiple gyms in SD ) , food, bathroom, trips to load and unload vehicle e.g. if I ever get started with Uber, that SUV needs to be empty but with my work, SUV needs to have gear in it.

Another goal seems to be, slimming down my in storage ( costly ) stuff.
The storage is 10x10 yet access is not easy. So I guess will start with containers that are immediately at hand.

Then if I want to practice keyboard in SUV with phones.. I need to understand what kind of electrical production I need.

All food is eaten "out".

My lower back is not appreciating slumped in drivers seat ( it is flattened out )

Any and all suggestions of how you spend your time.