Pots and pans on board

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lived pretty much full time in a big truck for 14 years. The only cooking pot or pan I used was an electric skillet. I had a few glass bowls for use in the microwave as well. Used a small plastic tub thing with a lid to store all my dinnerware, flatware and utensils. It was doable but when I get back full time I'll have an assortment of cooking stuff. I do love to cook.

lenny flank said:
The backpacker in me had a heart attack reading your list.  ;)

But after all that is the advantage of vehicle-dwelling---one doesn't need to carry everything on one's back.  :)

The backpacker in me only takes a 4x8" sheet of thin plastic as a cutting board and my trangia stove/pot set when I go backpacking.

But then I only do that for 4 days or so at a time.

The 'live in the van full-time' in me, treats the van like I would my home.

Ok, not quite, I'm not carrying my electric roasting pan, my dehydrator, crock pot, big blender, electric mixer, my vacuum sealer and jerky gun as well as my crystal and the good china... :D :D

I'm so deprived... :rolleyes: :p

I have one copper top once non-stick fry pan, rarely use it. Should get rid of. 

My other fry pan is a lodge 10". The lodge is used when cooking a "real" dish. My most often used fry pan is a small non stick one or two eggs sized pan from wally world for about $5 only use it for eggs. So small clean up is a breeze. Eggs come out English Muffin size and shape.

My portable induction cook top included  set of small stainless cookware. Small skillet, sauce pan, stock pot with lids all for about $60.

Thinking of getting that Hawkings pressure cooker.

One 3 quart sauce pan, one small George Foreman Grill, and one rectangular griddle for the fire. The sauce pan's uses are typical, and I'll use it as a fry pan to brown sausage and/or scrambled eggs along with butter/onions/red pepper/ orange pepper/etc. I'll use the Foreman Grill during fire bans and bouts of laziness, and build a fire to use the griddle. Utensils are all stainless, (right tool for the job), except my plastic ladle for beans or soup or stew. I think I just made myself hungry.

dextours said:
My most often used fry pan is a small non stick one or two eggs sized pan from wally world for about $5 only use it for eggs. So small clean up is a breeze. Eggs come out English Muffin size and shape.

I had one of those and not sure what happened to it. I loved it for frying eggs for sandwiches and such. I think I need to pick up a new one now you've reminded me of it.

Really small wok for stir fry small Karhahi for chicken beef Pakastani style street food (Yum Yum) 2 quart PC small cast iron skillet smallest dutch oven I could find with legs small carbon steel skillet chop six assorted cheap stainless spoon/fork I love getting the rocket stove going and just improvise. It's all small because I generally eat alone boo hoo lol

It's a van. IMO, one of the compelling reasons for van camping is not having to use backpacking cook sets!

I have a 10" cast iron skillet and a cast iron lid to fit it - the lid is a Griswold, I don't know what brand the skillet is (no visible marks), but the iron is machined smooth like a Wagner or Griswold. (I estimate the skillet is a good 50 years old, it's an inheritance from my mother's second husband.)

I have several stainless steel saucepans with heavy bottoms, purchased singly from Ross Dress For Less. Which ones I take depends on my menus for the trip.

I have a stainless steel tea kettle.

I have a pressure cooker, but haven't taken it on a trip yet - so far, I just either cook beans at home, freeze them, and bring them, or use canned beans. But I am going to start experimenting soon with it on my coleman single burner.

wagoneer said:
Really small wok for stir fry small Karhahi for chicken beef Pakastani style street food (Yum Yum) 2 quart PC small cast iron skillet smallest dutch oven I could find with legs small carbon steel skillet chop six assorted cheap stainless spoon/fork I love getting the rocket stove going and just improvise. It's all small because I generally eat alone boo hoo lol

If you are cooking Pakistani street food anywhere near me you sure won't have to eat alone!!! I watched the videos and would love to try that.