Pots and pans on board

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stymie

Reaction score
General question about size and number of pots and pans or general items used for cooking.

But what is your question?

A big RV or truck conversion carries more than a minivan.

John61CT said:
But what is your question?

A big RV or truck conversion carries more than a minivan.

the question is what do you carry as far as pots and pans.  like 2 frying pans a 10 and 12 inch, 2 quart pot, tea kettle etc.

there are two of us at the moment...I have 1 skillet, a medium sized saucepan, a cast iron 12 inch skillet, a cast iron footed dutch oven(large enough to hold 9 inch cake pans, for when I bake) 2 cast iron flat griddles(2 sizes) ...I pretty much used all these things at different times...
I will be going solo in about 2 weeks so all the cast iron items will be gone...so I will be down to 1 beat-up skillet, 1 saucepan, and a recently purchased steamer pot with insert from Wal-Mart. The steamer pot is getting more use than the other things at the moment...
I plan on getting another dutch oven as it is great for baking/cooking over wood fires(when there are no burn bans) I have used the dutch oven on the propane stove to cook( frying doughnuts/fritters and small roasts/stews etc.)
saucepan is used for just about everything...soups, side dishes, veggies, boiling water for tea/cocoa and heating water for dishes, washing up myself if need be...skillet is used for cooking meat and breakfast mostly, have used it a time or two to bake canned biscuits but needs to be watched closely to avoid burning them...I guess what you use will depend on your cooking preferences...I try to keep my cooking simple but filling. My biggest downfall is I LOVE to bake...so I also have a fold-up camp oven that sits on the propane stove and an electric mini-muffin baker.

A small frying pan, a large frying pan, a medium and a small saucepan, a steep-sided skillet and a tiny iron skillet I use for fried eggs.

I also have a loaf pan and a 9x9 brownie pan and a small cookie sheet.

Then there's the electric griddle that I LOVE but only use when I have full hookups...I could really do with one that I can use over my propane burners but can't currently afford to replace it.

I am in an RV but have pots and pans have already been whittled down to half of what they were in less than 3 months of being in the RV full time

I do all my cooking in the van on a homemade alcohol stove. With an 8-inch nonstick frying pan and an 8-inch saucepan (which I use mostly for boiling water).

One small fry pan, one small pot with a lid, a stainless steel mixing bowl (that doubles as my sink), a plastic soup/cereal bowl, a plate, two forks, two spoons, two table knives, plastic tumbler, a mug, a kitchen knife, a smaller kitchen knife, knife sharpener, a spatula, tongs, potato masher, scraper, can opener, measuring cup.

dutch oven pot with lid, medium non-stick skillet, 1 small pot with lid

The field cast iron skillet is one I just bought based on a recommendation on another forum.

I gotta say this skillet is the bomb. It's cast iron but smoother and lighter. Cooks like a dream and easier to keep clean (think smooth like a 100 year old cast iron skillet that's been used the whole time). Darned thing is just lovely. High priced and worth it, worth it, worth it. Last one I'll ever buy unless I buy one for a gift which I probably will do.

Did I say it's worth it???

https://fieldcompany.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I"m going to inventory my kitchen gear this weekend, but I know I will be going out with way too much. As far as pots and pans I have:
3L Primus stainless steel pot
1L Primus stainless steel pot.
(Primus frying pan I threw away.)
8 inch Calphalon non-stick anodized aluminum.
10 inch Le Crueset iron skillet. Just don't have the heart to replace that. Who is more picky about cookware and cooking than the French?
1.8 L GSI anodized aluminum tea kettle.

I have a lot of utensils, mugs, Hydroflask tumblers, ect. Hydroflask is all the rage where I work.

The Hawkins Classic Aluminum 2.0 Litre Pressure Cooker cooks food faster which saves fuel and no splatter issues like a frying pan.

617Ok6ZGL5L._SL1000_.jpg

Sauce pan with cover and 8” frying pan with cover. 15 months full time now and I’ve not had a need for anything else.

Oh lord!

I carry everything but the kitchen sink....wait, I have one of those too.... :D :D 

1 - 10" Lodge cast iron fry pan
1 - 10" cast aluminum fry pan, deep side style, older than me!

complete set of pots with lids from small sauce pan to dutch oven size - 4 pots total

1 cast aluminum large sauce pan - again, older than me. Great for popcorn... :)

I use the aluminum foil mini meat loaf pans and 8x8 square ones for baking in the oven.

I had nothing but 3 very small mixing bowls when I first went back on the road two years ago but then found myself short of larger bowls for serving group meals so I ended up with a total of 3 stainless restaurant grade mixing bowls.

It sounds like overkill but I've had almost all of it in use all at the same time - pot luck dinners for 10 and everyone in the group is borrowing stuff from me... :D

Cammala if you're looking for someone to give one of these to I will be glad to send you my address.  You were right about being expensive.
But, it is worth it.

It will vary considerably depending on the person(s) and their cooking needs/wants.
Personally, I find a 6" diameter double tall soup pot to be the most versatile.
A minimalist could get away with one of those and one large frying pan.
I think nesting/camping type sets are too much compromise personally though.

Beyond that, a cast iron griddle is great when cooking outside the van.
AND, you can heat it up at night before bed and it will radiate heat for hours.

If you are big into tea/coffee and want to do easy thermos cooking a tea kettle is great.
Thermos cooking just needs hot water and a good kettle covers that base easily.

Cammalu said:
The field cast iron skillet is one I just bought based on a recommendation on another forum.

I gotta say this skillet is the bomb. It's cast iron but smoother and lighter.  Cooks like a dream and easier to keep clean (think smooth like a 100 year old cast iron skillet that's been used the whole time). Darned thing is just lovely.  High priced and worth it, worth it, worth it.  Last one I'll ever buy unless I buy one for a gift which I probably will do.  

Did I say it's worth it???

https://fieldcompany.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Cammalu,
     So glad you are loving it!,  I knew you would.  I've already sent my brother and cousin one as a gift and they love them as much as I (and you) do.  The Field Company then sent me a really nice gift for ordering a few of their pans......a nice metal spatula, leather pot/handle holder and dish cloth.  All top quality just like the skillet.  
     They are a little expensive, but they are like a work of art!

Almost There said:
Oh lord!

I carry everything but the kitchen sink....wait, I have one of those too.... :D :D 

The backpacker in me had a heart attack reading your list.  ;)

But after all that is the advantage of vehicle-dwelling---one doesn't need to carry everything on one's back.  :)

acks18614 said:
The Hawkins Classic Aluminum 2.0 Litre Pressure Cooker cooks food faster which saves fuel and no splatter issues like a frying pan.

I got a lid for my frying pan by buying a cheap 8" pot with a lid, keeping the lid (it fit the frying pan just right) and giving the pot to a nearby homeless person panhandling on the corner.

It not only prevents splattering, but turns the pan into a sort of mini oven, of a sort.  :)