Portable Power Banks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypsy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to move into my 2011 honda fit for a several month roadtrip around the US and am researching portable power banks to keep my stuff charged...having an AC outlet for my macbook pro would be essential, in addition to USB ports. I've seen a lot of products on the Web but mixed  reviews and am wondering if any of you have used something like this for vandwelling and what you would recommend?

Thanks!

Rather than investing in a portable power bank that you would then have to find a way to keep charged, I suggest you look at a small portable inverter that you can plug in to one of the accessory outlets and then just plug in the A/C cord for your laptop.

That way you can skip the middleman so to speak.

I used (and still use on occasion) a Black and Decker 75 watt plug in inverter that I bought at H/D for around $20.00.

It has a single A/C outlet and one 2 amp USB port on it.

The other place to look is at a truck stop for other brands.

I have used it for up to 2 1/2 days while parked to power my HP laptop and also plugged in my cell phone to the other accessory outlet with a 12V charger unit and not had a problem starting the vehicle. I went 4 days without starting the van one time and had to have a boost so definitely keep an eye on your usage vs driving but if you're driving every day it won't be a problem.

I got a 12 volt cord for my laptop. I've use a Stanley booster pack from Lowe's for several years off and on with good results. I usually charge it with house current, although on a long trip I can do it via cig plug. I just got solar this year and of course the deep cycle battery has lots more power but I still have the boost pack - it's also a jump starter, air compressor, and light. It has a dc outlet and 2 USB outlets. I understand there are some out there that also have inverter built in.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Almost There said:
Rather than investing in a portable power bank that you would then have to find a way to keep charged, I suggest you look at a small portable inverter that you can plug in to one of the accessory outlets and then just plug in the A/C cord for your laptop.

That way you can skip the middleman so to speak.

I used (and still use on occasion) a Black and Decker 75 watt plug in inverter that I bought at H/D for around $20.00.

So would the inverter run off the car battery? Wouldn't that risk draining the battery? I've heard Honda fit batteries are a little weak but haven't tested it out yet.

In this instance of a couple month road trip, I would recommend having a jumper pack on hand, but only using it for actual jumpstarting, if required, meaning keep it fully charged for this use and not use to power USB devices or laptops

Then use the vehicle engine starting battery for USB and Macbook charging.  This will be hard on the engine battery as starting batteries do not like deep cycling, so it might have to be replaced during your journey, but you will have the fully charged healthy jumpstarter to get you started and drive to a place to replace the starting battery, if required.  Try to at least use a Marine battery and if a larger one can be made to fit in the space, then go for it.

If your particular model macbook has the DC to DC car adapter, it is MUCH more efficient than using an inverter to power its original supply brick.  I have heard Macbooks need a true/ pure $ine wave inverter as opposed to a Modified sine ewave inverter, but do not know if this is true.

The portable power packs/jumper packs usually only have a 12 or 18AH AGM battery in them, which is not much capacity.  My dell laptop with 90 watt adapter could drain a 12Ah battery to below 50% in less than 1 hour, and it would NOT be able to assist jumpstarting my engine.

https://www.amazon.com/ExpertPower-...UTF8&qid=1469041820&sr=8-5&keywords=12+AH+agm

https://www.amazon.com/ExpertPower-...=UTF8&qid=1469041848&sr=8-1&keywords=18AH+agm.

For USB charging:
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charge...id=1469042001&sr=8-6&keywords=usb+car+adapter

Or similar.

No need for an inverter for USB charging.  The inverter will likely waste more power than the device will draw to recharge.

Without a house battery bank efficiency of the devices and their power supplies, counts for more.

Idling to recharge is often seen as a solution too, but this might be very hard on an alternator as it might overheat due to lack of airflow underhood and its internal fan not spinning fast enough.  Each vehicle will vary, but on my Van, the  alternator temperature skyrockets idling when feeding a depleted battery 40+ amps, but at highway speeds it is less than half the temperature where accumulative heat damage begins @ ~220F.

The super thrifty person would buy one of those 12 or 18AH AGM batteries for emergency jump starting and use jumper cables, rather than buying a jumper pack.  Recharging this small AGM could be accomplished several ways, but like all Lead acid batteries they should be returned to as high a state of charge as possible, ,as soon as possible, not only for the stored energy factor, but maintaining that capacity of storable energy over time.

Any Lead acid battery not returned to 100% charged loses its capacity much faster than one regularly returned to 100% full.  Something to keep in mind.  How quickly capacity declines depends on the battery, and how low it averages and how long it remains undercharged.  But eventually its capacity will be next to worthless, and while its capacity was always in decline at some rate, to most Newbs it appears as if it is a sudden catastrophic failure when the battery' no longer takes a charge'  and they  freak out, and think there is a larger problem than just the battery.  This 'freak out' is all too common.

Also please note it takes time to recharge a lead acid battery.  From 50% it basically cannot be recharged to full in less than 5 hours, and that is under ideal conditions.  One can get it to 80% charged pretty quickly with a high amp charging source like an alternator, but that 80% to 100% is going to take 4 hours, no matter how powerful the charging source might be.   Vehicles rarely allow the best voltages for battery charging in minimal time.  Vehicle voltage regulators are more concerned with not overcharging a slightly depleted battery never deeply cycled.

So  Unless you drove for 4+ hours, assume you battery is hovering in the 80 to 90% range at best.  Which is OK, the battery might be OK for your whole trip, but if it averages a hovering between 65 and 75% it will likely fail during the second month.

It is not easy to really know the state of charge of a battery in recent use.  Voltage gives a clue, but resting voltage is much better, and rested means no charging sources or discharging loads for several hours before voltage becomes a valuable clue as to state of charge.

So This is why I recommend just using the existing engine battery until it fails, replacing it with the largest marine/dual purpose battery which will fit, and Always having a fully charged jumper pack so one can always self jumpstart and get themselves going again.

Using the jumper pack to power loads is not a good strategy as they do not have much capacity to power things for long, and one might feel as if they have some backup incase the engine battery goes dead, but the jumperpack battery could be too compromised or too discharged to assist the battery into starting the engine if it is constantly used to power items, making it near useless and giving a very false confidence.

The 120v plug in chargers that come with these jumper packs are also far, FAR from Ideal for recharging the internal battery.  Even if you got a hotel room overnight and plugged in all night, the internal battery likely will not be fully charged.  You cannot trust any full charge indicators on these devices either, as they are voltage based, and an AGM battery deeply cycled wants a higher initial charge rate than what a fixed voltage 13.6v  300mAH wall wart can ever provide. 

A 12AH AGM battery depleted to 50% or less would Ideally want 3.5 to 4 amps applied @ 77f, until voltage climbs to 14.5v to 14.9v, and then be held there for ~4 more hours.  0.3 amps with a maximum voltage of 13.8v, such as provided with these jumpstarters is miles away from ideal.

I heard Macbook Pro's use much more power than average laptops? Is that true?

Also, pretty cool to gypsying it in a little car. Don't know how people do it in such a confined space. Too bad you don't have an electric car. That's like having a giant battery in the back for all of your electronic needs and being able to keep the A/C on for a long time with the motor off.

Is it possible to get a marine battery to fit in the place of the original? It would handle the cycling between starting the car better and you could keep the jump starter for when you wait too long. They have the LiPo jump starter packs that are tiny compared to a regular battery.

I have a 35a gel cell that we used to keep the phones and other light duty devices running. It would last a few weeks at that level but up the anti to a 12v TV/DVD combo and it only lasted hours.

jimindenver said:
Is it possible to get a marine battery to fit in the place of the original? It would handle the cycling between starting the car better and you could keep the jump starter for when you wait too long. They have the LiPo jump starter packs that are tiny compared to a regular battery.

Highly doubtful. New cars uses very small and compact sized batteries, even for my 2013 Honda CR-V and it's an SUV.  Her Honda Fit is smaller than a Civic so it probably uses a tiny battery + tray.

The 2011 honda fit takes a 151r group size battery, and I estimate it has 30 to 40AmpHours of capacity, and it should have 15 to 20 Ah available to use and likely still be able to start the engine.

15 to 20Ah is not really all that much

Here is a video where one fits a slightly larger 51r battery in its place for more CCA and capacity. Even depleted to 50% or deeper this larger battery will have more ability to start the engine when depleted the same amount of Amp hours, and % of that overall capacity.

There are likely no Marine batteries offered in this size, though many AGMS can fall into the marine category as they make better dual purpose batteries anyway. Avoid spiral cell 6 pack AGM batteries (optima) when capacity is a consideration as they have 25% less of it.
Usually AGM's have higher CCA figures for the same size jar, and could be depleted even more than flooded batteries of same capacity and still start the engine as they have lower resistance

Since the current battery in the Honda is likely still OK with a good percentage of its usable capacity one could keep it, buy a newer engine starting battery, perhaps squeeze in a 51r AGM or flooded, or perhaps even larger battery, like in video above, and keep this existing starting battery to abuse powering house loads.

One could recharge it several ways.

One of the simpler and more effective methods would be with these products.

Wire this 12v plug directly to the engine battery:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XIWF12/ref=s9_dcacsd_bhz_bw_c_x_2
Use 10 awg wire, and fuse it right at battery(+):

https://www.amazon.com/Fuse-Holder-...d=1469390673&sr=1-18&keywords=10+awg+atc+fuse

Use a 30 amp fuse.

Run 10 AWG into cabin, passenger floor or wherever spare/Aux battery is located. Use 10 AWG to male end of 12v ciggy receptacle on this fused 10 awg wire from engine battery. Wire 12v receptacle to Aux battery.

https://www.amazon.com/10-Gauge-Sil...qid=1469391346&sr=1-6&keywords=10+awg++2+wire

The male plug's spring loaded tip will always be hot when wired as stated above, and should not touch any grounded metal, or the fuse in the plug will blow, possibly the one at the battery too. Some sort of cap is a good idea.

When engine is running, mate plug and receptacle and Aux battery will charge. When turning off engine, unplug plug from receptacle. How fast it charges is highly variable depending on its health and the length of wire and the voltage the honda Fit's voltage regulator decides is appropriate at that moment.

This leaves a 12v receptacle hooked to Aux battery.

One 'Could' use an existing Honda 12v receptacle for charging, but these in general are very underwired, and if the fuse does not outright blow when the depleted battery is first plugged in, the charging will be much slower than a dedicated 10AWG feed right from engine battery. It should still work, but the fuse blowing is a real possibility, and fuses are not cheap and might be a PITA to replace, and the charging will likely be much slower than the dedicated 10AWG feed. One could try it before dedicating some 10AWG to a new circuit direct from engine battery but one must plug it in with a well depleted AUx battery while engine is running to see if the fuse blows.

Ciggy plugs and receptacles are not great electrical connections, quite the opposite, but they are convenient and ubiquitous. Better options exist for higher currents/ lesser voltage drop/ lesser resistance, but the blue seas product linked is higher than average quality, and should be OK for a 40Ah depleted battery.

There are all sorts of strategies the OP can employ. The above is just one option. I had not really taken the super small size of the Honda Fits engine battery into my earlier reply.

How much juice that Macbook pro consumes, and how long it is used each day, is a make or break factor in how much extra battery capacity is required to safely power it without overdischarging batteries.

Battery voltage can give indications as to battery state of charge, but it is by no means like a fuel tank gauge, unless the fuel tank float was on a rubber band which took 6 hours to settle down.

https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3721-...TF8&qid=1469391561&sr=1-11&keywords=voltmeter

Some wiring skills are required to set up this possible system. Not sure if the OP can do this or wants to hire it out as some wire termination/splicing tools are required for low electrical resistance, safety and reliability.

The above method for charging a battery located inside the vehicle passenger compartment can also be used for charging a portable jumper pack too, by plugging in the male 12v plug into jumper pack, but there are a few asterix's involved here too, such as if the 12v plug is switched on the jumper pack.

Amnyway the jumper pack capacity is still a limiting factor, and one can buy higher capacity battery alone, for less money if one does not require the jumper pack bells and whistles. Some of the jumper packs come with air compressors, inverters lights bells and whistles. these accessories are NOT quality, and will not stand up to regular use. Emergency just to have, all fine and dandy, but an all in one jumper pack's compressor and inverter are bottom barrell quality. One would be better off buying separate compressor and inverter if required.

Convenience costs. A little knowledgein advance can have a higher capacity, faster recharging system, for less.

I made my own small battery box to run some of my clean up prospecting equipment.

batt box 004.JPG
I used 2 of these batteries.  for a total of 24ah's.  gives me 12ah's of usable power.

batt box 013.JPG
here they are in the box.  a plastic ammo box.

batt box 006.JPG

batt box 025.JPG
I charge them with a 50 watt panel.

this works great for me.  hardly cost me anything.  got the panel and controller for free.  had the box,  wire,  switch,  and connectors.  all I had to buy was the batteries.  highdesertranger

Attachments

• batt box 004.JPG
    batt box 004.JPG
    118.1 KB
  • batt box 013.JPG
    batt box 013.JPG
    156.3 KB
  • batt box 006.JPG
    batt box 006.JPG
    132.3 KB
  • batt box 025.JPG
    batt box 025.JPG
    138.1 KB
GrayWhale said:
I heard Macbook Pro's use much more power than average laptops? Is that true?

Also, pretty cool to gypsying it in a little car. Don't know how people do it in such a confined space. Too bad you don't have an electric car. That's like having a giant battery in the back for all of your electronic needs and being able to keep the A/C on for a long time with the motor off.

electric would be cool! Although it would have its drawbacks as well. It's definitely a tiny space to live out of, but having to drive/park/etc a large vehicle wouldn't be worth the stress to me (one of my favorite cars I ever owned was a smart car... I like tiny cars  :) )