PORTABLE OVEN

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnFear

Reaction score
Hi, anyone here have any idea's on using a cheap portable grill as an oven? I think the two main issue's would be dispersing the flame underneath any baking pan, especially using disposable foil pans and being able to monitor the temperature. I want to use it to roast meats not bake a cake so the temperature isn't that critical.
I see that there are portable ovens for sale but they all have two burners on top which I don't need (and take up space) and cost around $200. I already have a grill and most important a place to store it. Thanks.

Yes, you can use a grill to roast meat. We've used our grill to roast beef, pork, whole chickens and meat loaf.  It is a little tricky to keep the temperature low enough and to cook everything evenly so we don't use that method any more. Instead we have a small stovetop oven that fits on one burner. We can bake almost everything. It also serves to warm up our RV in cool weather.

The one we have is an Ovenette, manufactured in the 1940s and bought on ebay.  Ovenette

A newer design is made by Omnia

Thanks, that Omnia looks like it would work well for what I'm trying to do. Roast beef/pork, meatloaf etc. When I clicked your link I came across this https://pitboss-grills.com/200p-portable-gas-grill. Not much more than the Omnia. If I got a cast iron pan and put it over the unlit side I think it would work. Also I could use it as a half assed smoker.
I have the folding Coleman but rarely use it because it's a PITA to set up. Also it's difficult to get it to hold any kind of temperature. I think it's because the sides and top are about as thick as aluminium foil. If someone would take the Coleman design and make it out of steel I'd buy it.
PS to anyone who has or want's to get the Coleman - DON'T USE IT INSIDE THE VAN. ;)

Hey, just took a closer look at the Omnia. How would you cook a roast in it with that center cone?

a Dutch oven works and you can use it over a camp fire. you can bake bread and desserts in it. you can even pop popcorn. very versatile. highdesertranger

Yes but as I mentioned I don't want to bake bread or make dessert.
So far it looks like a two burner grill will do what I want.

For roasts, I use a pressure cooker and it also serves as a big cook pot for those potlucks or when I make chili.

B and C ...

That pressure cooker could be used to wash clothes in, too, or soak a sprained ankle or collect rainwater if stranded in the desert.

And it won't rust out or lower your MPG like a honking heavy old Dutch Oven ... not that there's anything wrong with Dutch Ovens.

Dutch Ovens can be used to level your van if needed and also protect your head if caught out in a tornado.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TexasWoman said:
That pressure cooker could be used to wash clothes in, too, or soak a sprained ankle or collect rainwater if stranded in the desert.

Hopefully I don't need it for thaat :p  Nothing wrong with keeping a big pot around.

Yes I have a Pressure cooker. Just made a large pot of chili the other day. It's also good for making pot roasts and such. I have a motorcycle helmet for tornadoes so I'm good there. If I use it to wash clothes do I use a marinade or would a dry rub be better?

For washing clothes,  a wet rub is recommended  ... after marinading for a few minutes.

For muffins, cornbread, cakes and pies I use a FryBake pan on a single burner butane stove.

"muffins, cornbread, cakes, pies, bread, desserts" ???

Oh for the good old days when I could still eat that stuff ....

I have a Sun Oven but those are a lot to lug around.

Yes, the Sun Oven doesn't have nearly the capabilities of the pressure cooker or the Dutch oven.

However it could be useful for signaling to overhead search and rescue planes if one got stranded in the desert.

Or possibly as a Faraday cage in the event of a super solar flare.  

Might also be used as a clothes dryer for the wash coming out of the pressure cooker. 
Not really sure about that one, though.

One would have to keep a very close eye on the dry time or else "POOF" .. no clothes!

:)

In addition to working as a Faraday box it likely would block whatever signals the government seems to be beaming into select citizens heads. Wouldn't recommend using while driving though. You wouldn't be able to see your Facebook feed.
I like the idea of having equipment in my van that can multi-task.

Latest posts