Ovens

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoingMobile

Reaction score
I'm about 3/4ers through a van build that I may, at least for a year or two, live in full time. Its a medium roof, long wheelbase, but not extended length Ford Transit. I had designed the layout to include an RV style 17" oven with a 2 or 3 burner cooktop. My thought was that although I probably wouldn't use the oven all the time, it would have quality burners for simmering and also would serve as storage for pots and pans and other cooking gear when not in use.

I'm posting here to survey experienced folks as to whether you have some type of oven in your rig, RV type, Camp Chef, or other, and if you are happy you included it, what you use it for, etc. or conversely, if you wish you didn't have it taking up the space it occupies. Thanks in advance for replying!

Back when I was in the planning stages eight years ago, I thought about an oven. In the process I thought about how much or how rarely I used one all the years I lived in buildings. Some of the things I baked could be done on a stovetop, and some other things, eh, I could live without. (And there were some things I shouldn't have been eating anyway.) So I went without an oven for a few months. Then I got a RoadPro "oven." Eh, it used too much electricity, had no temperature control, would burn foods on the bottom before the rest was done, so I got rid of it and adjusted my menus to things that didn't require baking/roasting. Furthermore, I'm using only a single burner stove and pack it away between uses. It's fine for me, but I know there are others out there who are much deeper into cooking and baking.

Years ago now, I had an old big slide-in camper that had a 4-burner stove and a real oven. I used that oven every camping trip until I got rid of "that ugly thing" (wife's opinion). It made fantastic cornbread and I still miss it after all these years later.

I have an Omnia Oven and really like it. But - you can't warm up a pizza in it, unless you cut the pizza all to pieces!

From Dutch Ovens to Camp Chef ovens to cast iron skillets with lids, there are all kinds of ways to fill this need. So, OP, the first question you need to ask is why, exactly, YOU want an oven.

You can get a decent quality RV countertop Rropane cooktop on its own without an oven attached to it.

Be sure to get one with a lift up cover That metal cover functions  as a heat and fire resistant splatter shield while cooking. You can also set stuff on it when its closed when the stovetop is not in use for cooking.

jacqueg said:
I have an Omnia Oven and really like it. But - you can't warm up a pizza in it, unless you cut the pizza all to pieces!

From Dutch Ovens to Camp Chef ovens to cast iron skillets with lids, there are all kinds of ways to fill this need. So, OP, the first question you need to ask is why, exactly, YOU want an oven.

Good question. I Planned it out months ago. At the time I was thinking how much I like pizza. Since then I've been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, so I'm learning about managing the glucose levels in my blood through diet. Although I still need some carbohydrates, I need to limit my intake, and I think pizza (and most baked goods) is something I can have very limited amounts of. So I think my cooking needs are currently in flux and in my state of planning I'm thinking I should be prepared for all possibilities. Of course the reality of eating and cooking while living in a van could turn out to be much different than I imagine. I think that is why I posted seeking experiences from people who are and have been living in a van as to what their thoughts are regarding eating, cooking , stoves, ovens, etc. Utility vs space, etc.

I already have a 2 burner Colman propane stove, which along with a toaster oven and microwave I used exclusively during 5 years of my life when I was living in industrial spaces I used as artist studios. Used the microwave a fair amount, the toaster oven some, (frozen pizzas) and a gas grill out back for grilling fish mostly. I guess I'm thinking the oven could fulfill the purposes I used the microwave, toaster oven, and grill for. I was hoping to make the van have all of the comforts of home,

One thing I found frustrating with the Coleman stove was regulating the heat to different temperatures for simmering etc. 

So yes, you are right to suggest I think about what I would use it for, as my eating habits are in flux, its a little hard to say right now. But I'd still like to hear what others have experienced and their thoughts on ovens in a van.

I have a Magic Chef rv range in my 2003 travel trailer and we love it. The secret to using an rv gas range is to place a low cookie sheet upside down on the floor of the baking section, that will keep the bottoms of your baked goods from being incinerated. I also have used a ceramic floor tile on the floor inside the oven to do the same thing. We use ours for baking rolls and also for casseroles. The top burners are 9000 btu and have great control from high heat to simmer. Ps. We are both also type 2 diabetic. Sometimes you just have to indulge your taste buds.

Well I have over the years used most of the suggestions here. Here's what I have found.

1. The Coleman camp oven that you set on top of a heat source.
Works OK indoors
Folds up for easy packing
Looses heat fast outside in the cold
Hard to regulate temp
Forget it in any type of air movement(breeze)
Uneven heating

2. Dutch Oven
Heavy
Once you get the hang of it it's very versatile
Very satisfying to use
Very simple. No moving parts to break.
Burn Bans mean a big NO, NO. So no baking for most of the year.

3. A Propane BBQ big enough to hold a Dutch Oven.
Gets you around the burn ban
A lot more bulk

4. Camp Chef camp oven stove combo
1,000 times better than a Coleman but,
No temp control
I had problems with my valves and a regulator
Camp Chef had a hard time getting me the right parts and gave lame excuses. In the end they did come through but it took awhile.
A little bulking

5. Finally A RV stove and oven combo installed in my cargo trailer.
At last a real oven. I installed a RV oven on my pop up trailer in the 90's and ever since I got rid of it I have wanted another one.
Thermostat controlled set. and forget(there is still a learning curve)
I got the largest one commonly available 21inch
Happy dance

Highdesertranger

I have an Ovenette that was made in the 1940s to be used on a countertop gas stove. I think the stoves may have been sold as a less expensive, smaller alternative to standard stove/oven combinations when people first got gas connections to their houses. Anyway it seems like the Ovenettes weren't very popular because you can find them brand new, in the box on Ebay. Just make sure that they have all the parts. The pans are not too important because pans that fit are easy to find but the top, the heavy base, and the grid are essential. I see a lot that are missing the grid which lifts the pan off of the hot base and keeps the bottom of food from burning.

The Ovenette is about the size of a cake saver so it does requires some storage room. Most have [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]a [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]thermometer so that you can adjust the stove flame to keep the temperature steady. It takes a little experience to get it right but then it's easy. I've made cakes, brownies, banana bread and other quick breads, enchiladas, meat loaf, personal pizzas using pitas for the crust, Bisquick style impossible pies, baked chicken, muffins, and  almost everything else that can be made in a regular oven. I've not had as much success with yeast breads which tend to get too brown on the bottom before they're fully cooked inside.[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]015 (2)a.jpg[/font]

Attachments

• 015 (2)a.jpg
    015 (2)a.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 10
Interesting, searching I see some that are round, in the vein of the Omnia oven, and some that are rectangular, more similar to the Colman stovetop oven. Its not too small and would need to be stored somewhere.

I've used a BBQ with a lid to bake delicious bread. Worked fine for bread.

Yes Axle and if you put your Dutch Oven in there it's very versatile. You can bake anything. Highdesertranger

This would be more for someone with a full size rig but I've used the chargriller barbeque to do lots of things. With and without dutch ovens or cast iron frying pans. Lots of bulk. It's more of a backyard grill.

They make a "fire side box" that you can get at walmart that seems to be exactly like what I have except it's a short leg tailgating grill OR it attaches to the side of their standalone grill to make it an offset smoker. I've smoked probably 200lbs of meat in mine easily. Just put bricks in the middle and light the fire on 1 side. Kinda tricky but very doable.

Also the side with the air vents I stuck a hibachi burner I scavenged thru it and used it on propane to bake from scratch pizza in a cast iron skillet.

I'm thinking of snagging a "fire side box" and starting over cuz my nephew borrowed my full sized one and has had it for a good long while now. XD

Axel said:
I've used a BBQ with a lid to bake delicious bread. Worked fine for bread.

The problem arises when you're in an area (most of the West, for example) with fire bans that include anything that can send off sparks. And weather can inhibit the ability to cook outside.

MrNoodly said:
The problem arises when you're in an area (most of the West, for example) with fire bans that include anything that can send off sparks. And weather can inhibit the ability to cook outside.

I wonder if a small gas grill set on a fold out shelf outside of a van would be considered verbotten when there is a burn ban? Guessing it probably would be. Maybe a good time to opt for a salad? It seems we're in high fire danger in the west almost all year these days.

Always check local regulations for burn bans. ALWAYS.

A gas stove or BBQ is way down the list of things that get banned but it does happen.

A charcoal/wood BBQ is one of the first things banned.

A basic rule of thumb is it needs a shut off valve that turns the flame off instantly to be able to use during a burn ban. But during extreme conditions even those are banned.

Always check for local regulations.

Highdesertranger

I've only baked bread in my propane grill. Maybe next time I'll try to make a big fire with a lot of sparks and embers flying around on a windy day.

Axel said:
I've only baked bread in my propane grill. Maybe next time I'll try to make a big fire with a lot of sparks and embers flying around on a windy day.

Ah, I didn't see where you specified it was a propane grill. Bake away!

My favorite baking option is solar.  You don't need a bulky solar oven.  A DIY panel cooker can be paired with a dark  lidded pot and an oven roaster/turkey bag.  (I prefer using a bulkier set up with Pyrex bowls, but that's optional.)  You do need good sun (it doesn't have to be warm, though) and time--plus eye protection.  Yes!  You can definitely brown things, but pizza...  This summer has been a bust for solar cooking around here.  Clouds or haze ruin it.

Next up is an 8" dutch oven.  Set over coals in a metal pan, it's pretty awesome.  It's part of a cast iron trio, along with a 10" skillet and a stand made of three horseshoes welded together with removable bolts for legs.  Again, set in a metal pan, this makes a great stove for use with the skillet.  A second metal pan is handy for staging coals.  This stuff nests together and slips under the cooler stand in the back, which is about 7" high.  My most healthful meals do not come out of the DO.

An old-style folding Sterno stove with charcoal makes a compact mini-grill.  This involves placing a small grill pan on top of the open grid stove top, and putting a stainless steel vegetable steamer below with 8 or 9 briquettes in it.  It cooks pretty hot, but is compact and effective.  (I've used plain 'ole Sterno for a quick grilled cheese, scrambled eggs, etc., too, using an 8" stainless skillet.)  The stove, steamer, grill pan and Sterno all fit in a lunch box, along with a Sterno Inferno for hot drinks.

I carry a two-burner propane stove and one bottle of propane as back-up, but am trying to eliminate that entirely.

Only the solar is viable where a burn ban is in effect, and only then if it's not smokey.

An electric skillet has been nice where hook-ups are available.  Advantages are temperature control and the ability to "compartmentalize" it and heat multiple items at once.  A hot plate would be more compact.  I've been spoiled with an electric kettle, too.  Obviously useless off-grid.

Personally, I like to have room for fresh stuff and don't mind a cold meal if the situation calls for it.

I have been on the road for a year. I have not missed having an oven or a microwave. My diet has been the better for that. I eat healthier meals, no pizzas or frozen dinners, no fast food except on rare occassions, most especially since fast food is not cheap.

I do not use a Coleman 2 burner stove. They are too bulky in size and also too noisy because of rattles. I use a dual fuel single burner stove from Gas One. It has good heat control. But in the winter when I want some extra heat I have a built in diesel ceramic cooktop that also functions as a distributive heater when the lid on it is lowered. I can do slow simmer cooking on that stove as it has two burner areas, one directly over the flame and the other to one side away from the flame. So a cold winter evening is when I might put on a pot of stew or chili. In the summertime I have no desire for such a meal. I would rather have something quick to fix like a sandwhich, omlette or salad. Seasonal eating directed by the weather and my bodies response to the temperature.

Nomadic living will change you, let it do so, be open to it. But do stay healthy when adapting.