Preparing cabinet to install oven

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoingMobile

Reaction score
I bought an RV Range, stove, oven combo. I'm wondering if I need to heat proof the cabinet I'm building for it? 
I saw some videos where people are installing Camp Chef ovens in vans, which are made for outdoor use, and they have gone as far as using a layer of cement board spaced 1/2" off the wood and then another layer of a heat shield material such as Thermo-Tec over the cement board to insulate the exterior of the oven from the wood cabinet.
This is a 17" Dometic Range made to install inside an RV. The instructions don't say anything about insulating the surface of the cabinet before installing. Wondering if anyone has experience installing this type of stove/oven and if you used materials to isolate and insulate the oven from the cabinet it will sit in? Or is it well insulated enough already that isn't an issue?

Dry plywood can combust around 375*-400*. Will that happen, probably not but I'd be safe and add an insulator and some dead air space all around the oven sides, top and back. Cement board mounted with 1" spacers for air movement would give me some peace of mind.

Also easy to add a muffin fan to get that heat out or circulate inside on the colder days.
(just relaized... oven - muffin - cookie fan.... ok I'll quit.)

Maybe contact the Mfg direct for accurate info....

Look at the installation instructions. You will find the minimum distances to combustibles.

Most 'drop-in' RV ranges can be placed up right next to the wood, or maybe an inch or so of clearance. 

Just look thru the information that came with the unit.

If you bought it used you should be able to find the information on the manufacturers website.

You don't need to insulate the cabinet, but you do need to maintain the clearances above the burners. The last one I built cabinetry for, needed 19.5" above and 1.13" on the sides. (this is above the top, not where the oven slides into the recess)

I emailed the manufacturer, and this is their response:
"So unfortunately Dometic can not advise for you to do any of that as that could be come a safety issue.  You would want to see a service center about putting something like that into your unit."

tradesman said:
You don't need to insulate the cabinet, but you do need to maintain the clearances above the burners. The last one I built cabinetry for, needed 19.5" above and 1.13" on the sides. (this is above the top, not where the oven slides into the recess)

Thanks Tradesman. That is the only info I can find in the pamphlet that came with the range. The clearances above the burners, which seems obvious.

So I take it you have installed, or built cabinets to install this type of rv range, without any insulation and this has led to use of said range inside a cabinet without any issues, such as a fire,  caused by excessive heat?

I did the heat proofing just in case and left air space also, not want to burn down the van in the wilderness cooking muffins.

But I must say the inside range & oven was a waste for me because I like to cook outside the van in nature. I reccomend carrying a heavy duty folding table & camp chef outdoor range instead. Go ahead and make an interior fireproof countertop for stealth camping if you must.
-crofter

Here is a link to ThermoTec for $36 that is some cheap insurance. Also a spray on coating. Both are good for 2000 degrees.

https://www.xtremediesel.com/thermo...MIpITVh4TI8wIVDCCtBh3dSAPIEAQYCCABEgJYD_D_BwE

In the cooking area I would be concerned about fibers coming out of the insulation, so I went with the paint on my vertical wood surface and additional non combustible backsplash over that with air gap as the final layer .

Someone on here recomended double insulated cookie pans as a backsplash. No- Not sure how much heat is reflected through as they are designed to pass heat.

Don't forget the ceiling! How is the exhaust vented out? Is there some type of range hood to collect the greasy vapors?
-crofter