Ovens

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my comfort foods is jalapeño cornbread. I bake it using a Banks Fry Bake on a single burner butane stove. I place a cake pan inside and elevate the pan, setting the burner on its lowest setting.

I don’t see why a deep skillet with a decent lid wouldn’t work as well.

I havent watched the video cuz I'm out of high speed data but I think I know what you mean.

That reminded me of a YouTube channel called cooking shooking I believe?? It's an indian guy who makes mostly indian dishes but he has several videos on using a pressure cooker as an oven to bake bread or pizza.

He fills the bottom with salt and put in a ring to elevate the pan from the bottom. Sets a tray on the ring then removes the rubber gasket from the pressure cooker lid and starts baking.

The salt I think is to keep the ring from tipping over as well as thermal mass and it can be saved and reused.

LoupGarou said:
One of my comfort foods is jalapeño cornbread. I bake it using a Banks Fry Bake on a single burner butane stove. I place a cake pan inside and elevate the pan, setting the burner on its lowest setting.

I don’t see why a deep skillet with a decent lid wouldn’t work as well.

I could watch her all day. Love her accent. And the pizza looks delicious. I may have to try this. Trying to figure out if there is a way to make a pizza, where I can actually eat a substantial portion and not just a sliver, and have it fit in to my new reality of managing carbs and their effect on blood sugar and my type 2 diabetes. Is it too much to be able to expect to be able to have my pizza and eat it too?

I have a tiny air fryer thing my son gave me it can bake 3 ish muffins at a time. It can bake other stuff but it is still new so don't know what else will taste 'good'. Full sized ones may make things better.

I use my solar cookers and sun ovens that I teach with. I can do just about anything in them as I can in a gas or electric oven. The sun ovens are bulky but then again they can hold a whole turkey or multiple pots of food. The prices sky rocketed during covid last year but now I see the whole kit with cookware for $349 again.

All American sun oven

The solar cooker I most suggest to dwellers is the SunFlair. It is a hi-bred reflective cooker/oven that folds down to about 2 inches and fits into a flat shopping bag sized carrier. It doesn't get as hot as the sun ovens or even some other reflective cookers but you would only notice side by side. What I do like about them over the other reflective cookers is that you do not need a cooking bag. Its kit has the racks, cookie sheets and three pots.

SunFlair

I do have my RV oven that I use to use on cool, cloudy days. I rarely use it anymore because aside from the fact that I have become seriously unable to take the fumes of propane burning, it is also finicky and uses a lot of propane. I find that using a upside down cookie sheet on the bottom as well as over heating it and turning it down when I put the food in is the best way to keep the bottom of whatever I was cooking from burning.

IMG_4232.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4232.jpg
    IMG_4232.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11